Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices New MixPre Series  (Read 107055 times)

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
Re: Sound Devices New MixPre Series
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2017, 11:22:49 PM »
smooooooth...
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #257 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
Very nice! And sweet piano there, Paul.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2017, 04:56:40 AM »
Found these decent shorty Rt Angle cables for the USB C input of the MixPre from China! I just bought [3] of the short ones and [2] of the longer ones with the braiding! I have about 8+ of these exact same cables to power BOTH of my DR-70D's, except with a Micro USB-B end, instead of the USB-C end, and they have worked out AWESOME & flawlessly for me in the 2+ years I've been using them, so I have no fears buying the MixPre6 for under $1k, and then only buying $1.50 USB-C Cables for them from China lol ;) ;D

Right Angle USB-A>USB-C Shorty Cables
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381770102038
3' Right Angle USB-A>USB-C Braided Cables
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162327537413?var=461341515784
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »
well they processed my payment (location sound) so it should be soon.

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »

I wouldn't hold your breath. Location Sound's website saying: "Anticipated availability: June 2017". Let me guess... you paid with PayPal, right? If so, your payment would've been put through. If pre-ordering with credit card, many vendors won't charge the card until shipment is actually made...

BTW, I just heard from a Sweetwater rep, who's representing the same thing... "first week of June"

I wouldn't hold your breath. Location Sound's website saying: "Anticipated availability: June 2017". Let me guess... you paid with PayPal, right? If so, your payment would've been put through. If pre-ordering with credit card, many vendors won't charge the card until shipment is actually made...

BTW, I just heard from a Sweetwater rep, who's representing the same thing... "first week of June"

nope pay'd with my bank card. talked to them last week and they said my card would be processed as soon as they have some units . i was first to order the 3 through them.

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »
Question for Paul
If I feed the signal from mini USB mixpe-D to USB C mixpre-6...
Can this work as the 5-6 channel for the mixpre-6?
Thank you.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
In regards to shipping I would expect the availability date on websites to get pushed back as they take more orders. I know some folks ordered the first day they were available to order. I think B+H's original ship date was today, so maybe some people that ordered from them day 1 will have them shipped this week. I didn't order for another week or so after that and B+H said "End of May" so I'm thinking that I'm in the 2nd or 3rd shipment they expect from Sound Devices.

That being said, retailers are always happy to advertise a best scenario date and then ship late if needed just to get those sales.

Still hoping mine gets here before 5/31 for TAB at Red Rocks.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
I placed an inquiry today and was told Sound Devices was on back order and that a MixPre 6 would be about 6 weeks out for new orders.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2017, 02:04:24 PM »
https://livestream.com/gothamsound/sound-devices-mixpre-6

live stream right now of this recorder from Gotham
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:07:04 PM by jazzgtrl4 »

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »

Very cool to actually see how the menus work etc. A shipping date of May 19th is given...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:11:22 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »
I have 2 questions that I have not seen answered yet. I think they would apply to many on this board. My questions are about the Mixpre6, but they could be applicable to the Mixpre3 if you follow my context.

First I would preface by stating that my current primary use of gear is recording live music audience recordings at concerts. All types venues flavors volumes etc.
Currently I mostly use a Tascam DR680MKII and a Sound Devices USB Pre 2. I record 3 separate stereo tracks using 3 different pairs of mics with different patterns. I usually have one pair Cardioid, one pair Hypercardioid and one pair Omnidirectional. I use 4 mics ( 2of the pairs) directly XLR into the Tascam and 2 mics (the final pair) direct XLR into the USB Pre 2 then digitally output into the Tascam. I do not use the mix track as a mix track because I have no desire to mix the mics together. Therefore I end up with three separate distinct recordings of the event being recorded.

So my questions in this context are as follows:
1. If I use 4 mics XLR in (P48) and then 2 additional mics via aux in (maybe plug in power, but more likely p48 mics through another preamp outputting to TRS 1/8 aux input on the MixPre6), will all 6 mics be taking advantage of the Kashmir preamps?
2. Since I do not need the mix track, is there any way to use that as another input gaining 2 more distinct track options, or if I were to guess that is a not possible, is there any way to route one of the existing stereo pairs solely to the mix tracks which I could then record at a different gain?

Just to be clear, I expect these tracks to be captured on the SD card in the deck and I would then transfer to my PC. I am not too concerned about my MixPre6 output options in the above scenario, unless I am not seeing some additional advantage to the mixpre6 outputs.

I should ask one more unrelated question: Is there any chance that there will be an android app coming to take advantage of the Bluetooth functionality for us Android users?

Thanks for any help in answering this. I'm itching to order... ;D

Since my questions got buried amongst the many pages, I emailed Paul directly and he promptly responded, so I thought I would share the answers:
Hi Dallman

1. No. The Kashmir preamps are on the XLR 1-4 inputs, not the 1/8" Aux In.

2. The MixPre-6 has a maximum of 6 input channels. You cannot use the Mix tracks to expand that to 8 input channels.

"Is there any way to route one of the existing stereo pairs solely to the mix tracks which I could then record at a different gain?"

There is a way to do this but it requires that you use  a combination of the software gain controls and channel knobs.

thanks

Paul
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2017, 09:05:09 PM »
I have 2 questions that I have not seen answered yet. I think they would apply to many on this board. My questions are about the Mixpre6, but they could be applicable to the Mixpre3 if you follow my context.

First I would preface by stating that my current primary use of gear is recording live music audience recordings at concerts. All types venues flavors volumes etc.
Currently I mostly use a Tascam DR680MKII and a Sound Devices USB Pre 2. I record 3 separate stereo tracks using 3 different pairs of mics with different patterns. I usually have one pair Cardioid, one pair Hypercardioid and one pair Omnidirectional. I use 4 mics ( 2of the pairs) directly XLR into the Tascam and 2 mics (the final pair) direct XLR into the USB Pre 2 then digitally output into the Tascam. I do not use the mix track as a mix track because I have no desire to mix the mics together. Therefore I end up with three separate distinct recordings of the event being recorded.

So my questions in this context are as follows:
1. If I use 4 mics XLR in (P48) and then 2 additional mics via aux in (maybe plug in power, but more likely p48 mics through another preamp outputting to TRS 1/8 aux input on the MixPre6), will all 6 mics be taking advantage of the Kashmir preamps?
2. Since I do not need the mix track, is there any way to use that as another input gaining 2 more distinct track options, or if I were to guess that is a not possible, is there any way to route one of the existing stereo pairs solely to the mix tracks which I could then record at a different gain?

Just to be clear, I expect these tracks to be captured on the SD card in the deck and I would then transfer to my PC. I am not too concerned about my MixPre6 output options in the above scenario, unless I am not seeing some additional advantage to the mixpre6 outputs.

I should ask one more unrelated question: Is there any chance that there will be an android app coming to take advantage of the Bluetooth functionality for us Android users?

Thanks for any help in answering this. I'm itching to order... ;D

Since my questions got buried amongst the many pages, I emailed Paul directly and he promptly responded, so I thought I would share the answers:
Hi Dallman

1. No. The Kashmir preamps are on the XLR 1-4 inputs, not the 1/8" Aux In.

2. The MixPre-6 has a maximum of 6 input channels. You cannot use the Mix tracks to expand that to 8 input channels.

"Is there any way to route one of the existing stereo pairs solely to the mix tracks which I could then record at a different gain?"

There is a way to do this but it requires that you use  a combination of the software gain controls and channel knobs.

thanks

Paul
so I wonder what the preamp on the 1/8 is compared to, I mean I'm sure it's good but is it as good as _____
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »

Thanks for posting this!  Very informative.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #269 on: May 17, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
Can you send different tracks out the STEREO OUT than the HEADPHONE OUT?

Could you send only Tracks 1&2 through one and only Tracks 3&4 out the other?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com