Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Cutting your own windscreens

(1/3) > >>

jb63:
Has anyone here done this?
I was thinking about making my own for the windyest venues, like red rocks, but I could not find a decent source of foam.

Any hints appreciated!

morst:
closed-cell foam will kill treble, I think you want to try to find Open-cell foam for this use.

that said, we have had some OK results with homemade screens made from lawnmower muffler foam, I think it was. Kinda blue and fairly stiff.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-698369-Filter-Element/dp/B0035QAA6K
like this air filter foam maybe?

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
If you're going to record outside at venue's like Red Rocks often, I'd just shell out for the Big Ass Shure's. I've had to physically hold on to my mic stand at Red Rocks before to keep it from flying away. No wind noise on my recording with these.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68646-REG/Shure_A81WS_A81WS_Windscreen_for.html

Kind of pricey, but worth it IMO.

Gutbucket:
Heh, I sort of do both.  When recording with the tiny DPA 4098 hypercards outdoors I use open-cell foam-inserts from hair curlers (Dollar Tree pack of 8 for a buck, correct size with no cutting required) sort of as a bulk-up bushing which fits perfectly inside the big Shure A81WS.  The Shure's are the king of foam wind noise reduction and work great, the hair curler foams just adapt them to work on the tiny mics.

You might also check out the now popular Movo windscreens which are less costly than the Shures.  Not sure how the wind-noise reduction compares for really windy stuff, but they make furred versions which are probably the most appropriate version for high wind conditions.

Perry:
jb63- I understand the want/need to build your own windscreens, I've tried it myself several times. After achieving mediocre results, I broke down and bought a pair of Big Ass Sures. These are the screens you often see on televised outdoor press conferences and other public events. Once you see how they're designed, you'll understand why foam-only windscreens are less effective. The Sure has an inner cage that separates the foam from the mic, creating an air gap around the capsule that's virtually stagnant .

One of the better taping investments I've made, worth the $$$ for Sure.  :wink2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version