Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Retired taper looking for mics.

(1/5) > >>

ts:
Friend of mine is thinking of getting back into the game. He tried a few years back but postponed the endeavor. Back then I almost had him on pair of Busmans. His budget is south of 700 for a stereo pair of cards. He will also use them to mic his son on a grand piano.

So, that said, I'm thinking:

- MBHO 440
- Busman BSC1
- Rode NT5
- Beyer MC 930 (would need to up his budget a little)

A modular system is not necessary but might be nice.

Thoughts? I'm thinking the HO's.

Thanks!

mfrench:
Line Audio CM3 sub-cards. $300'ish pair, with the upgraded shocks.
http://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm
www.nohypeaudio.com JP Gerard

Acoustic orchestra samples:
https://archive.org/details/pso2017-03-19.pso2017-03-19_cm3pair_m.o.edit_2448flac
https://archive.org/details/pso2017-03-19.pso017-03-19_cm3pair_m.o.edit_1644flac

Fried Chicken Boy:
For the price, the Busmans are pretty hard to beat if he's looking for interchangeable capsules. 

There are a lot of options and flexibility with the HO's but, if they need to be serviced, they do have to be sent to Germany on your own dime.  I've heard a couple of friends grumble about the inconvenience of that. 

The Line Audio have a solid reputation.  I don't have any experience with them but I do like the recordings I've heard. 

I'd also recommend Audio-Technica microphones.  Often overlooked and underrated, they punch far above their weight and there are loads of recordings with them on the LMA.  In addition to a number of fixed pattern SDC mics, they also make a multi-capsule model called the 4051. 

If he doesn't mind buying used, he can find all of those mics within his budget, including the Beyer MC 930 stereo set (great mics, IMHO).  Perseverance in the Yard Sale here, on eBay, Guitar Center's used listings, Reverb.com, etc, and he should be able to find what he wants at a good price.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

pohaku:

--- Quote from: Fried Chicken Boy on June 01, 2017, 06:35:23 PM ---For the price, the Busmans are pretty hard to beat if he's looking for interchangeable capsules. 

There are a lot of options and flexibility with the HO's but, if they need to be serviced, they do have to be sent to Germany on your own dime.  I've heard a couple of friends grumble about the inconvenience of that. 

The Line Audio have a solid reputation.  I don't have any experience with them but I do like the recordings I've heard. 

I'd also recommend Audio-Technica microphones.  Often overlooked and underrated, they punch far above their weight and there are loads of recordings with them on the LMA.  In addition to a number of fixed pattern SDC mics, they also make a multi-capsule model called the 4051. 

If he doesn't mind buying used, he can find all of those mics within his budget, including the Beyer MC 930 stereo set (great mics, IMHO).  Perseverance in the Yard Sale here, on eBay, Guitar Center's used listings, Reverb.com, etc, and he should be able to find what he wants at a good price.  Good luck and keep us posted.

--- End quote ---

The AT4051 is the cardioid model of that microphone.  The AT4053 is the hyper and the AT4049 is the omni.  Caps are interchangeable.  Also note that there are generation iterations (original, a and b) which while physically compatible, are probably not the same sound wise.  So be careful if you are buying singles to form a pair.  Great mics.  I have pairs of each of the "a" line and a pair of the original 4051s.  These typically go for @ $250 each or so used.

jnorman34:
Great advice above.  Line audio is a wonderful choice, and the audio technica mics (4051, 4021) are excellent bang for buck mics.  I have owned and used both extensively and you can't go wrong with either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version