Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Receiver recommendations? (on a budget)  (Read 12259 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Receiver recommendations? (on a budget)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
It has a stereo output on minijack.  That's pretty typical to just have an audio output on a TV. 

No, it doesn't. There seems to be a lot of different sub-models of this TV. This one has no outputs whatsoever. Trust me.

Edit: It's more specifically a Samsung LED TV UN32EH4003F

Thanks for the recommendations...I'll definitely look into them.

OK, that's not the exact model that came up when I searched.

That's completely nuts that a TV made in the HDMI era exists without audio output of any kind.

You're right. My GF has a 32" Toshiba or LG that has 0 audio outs. Guess they save $0.50 on production costs

i grabbed an LG from my grand father after he passed same deal. I was surprised to only have HDMI (1 port) to work with.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 03:53:46 PM »
It has a stereo output on minijack.  That's pretty typical to just have an audio output on a TV. 

No, it doesn't. There seems to be a lot of different sub-models of this TV. This one has no outputs whatsoever. Trust me.

That's completely nuts that a TV made in the HDMI era exists without audio output of any kind.

You're right. My GF has a 32" Toshiba or LG that has 0 audio outs. Guess they save $0.50 on production costs

i grabbed an LG from my grand father after he passed same deal. I was surprised to only have HDMI (1 port) to work with.

1 HDMI and no audio out?  Where I come from, we call that a "computer monitor".
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
I was going to say this is easy get yourself a nice T-amp, but I just re-read your post.. you need hdmi...  If it was just two channel music play back you can't beat a good t-amp.

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »

1 HDMI and no audio out?  Where I come from, we call that a "computer monitor".

Ya i was kind of pissed as I wanted to put it in the guest room and got a soundbar for it. Only to discover no 1/8 optical or anything. So I went and got a 1st gen amazon firetv and used that for the optical out to the soundbar. So its fine now but had to get extra HW
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
You may want to Google "AGPTek HDMI to HDMI + Audio converter"

There are others, usually between $10 and $40, depending on features and output options
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:31:17 PM by Lynx Rufus »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »
You may want to Google "AGPTek HDMI to HDMI + Audio converter"

There are others, usually between $10 and $40, depending on features and output options

Wow...never knew anything like that existed...there are even 5.1 SPDIF models

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
Just in case anyone is interested I went with the following (and it sounds great for a budget rig!):

(1) Denon AVR-S530BT

This thing has a lot of features that I don't use. It does do exactly what I needed it to do as far as the FireStick goes and exactly what I need it to do as far as playing music via Bluetooth goes. I haven't found it to be noisy at all but it's just in my living room, not a dedicated listening room. Also, I'm only running 2-channel ... eventually I'll flesh out the system to a full 5.1, most likely staying with Polk. A couple things I'd change if I could ... I'd love to be able to listen to music and watch something (like sports) at the same time (this might be more a function of having the FireStick plugged in to the receiver and not the TV). And if it had a better Bluetooth interface, that would be great as well.

(2) Polk Audio T-50

Ended up paying too much for these. Best Buy will have them on sale for $99 if you can time it right. I just missed the sale and the sticker price was $150. I ended up getting Best Buy to price match New Egg, who had them for $120 at the time. They sound pretty amazing for both movies and music, even without a dedicated subwoofer. Honestly, I can't even push them as far as the point of distortion because it's really loud (old man status, get off my lawn!).

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 12:37:08 PM »
Just in case anyone is interested I went with the following (and it sounds great for a budget rig!):

(1) Denon AVR-S530BT

This thing has a lot of features that I don't use. It does do exactly what I needed it to do as far as the FireStick goes and exactly what I need it to do as far as playing music via Bluetooth goes. I haven't found it to be noisy at all but it's just in my living room, not a dedicated listening room. Also, I'm only running 2-channel ... eventually I'll flesh out the system to a full 5.1, most likely staying with Polk. A couple things I'd change if I could ... I'd love to be able to listen to music and watch something (like sports) at the same time (this might be more a function of having the FireStick plugged in to the receiver and not the TV). And if it had a better Bluetooth interface, that would be great as well.

(2) Polk Audio T-50

Ended up paying too much for these. Best Buy will have them on sale for $99 if you can time it right. I just missed the sale and the sticker price was $150. I ended up getting Best Buy to price match New Egg, who had them for $120 at the time. They sound pretty amazing for both movies and music, even without a dedicated subwoofer. Honestly, I can't even push them as far as the point of distortion because it's really loud (old man status, get off my lawn!).

Love the Polks. I've had a set of LS-70's for years.....still sound great. http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/polk-audio-ls-70-118.html
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com