Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Newbie recording setup

(1/4) > >>

dbz345:
I am new to the taping scene and have a question what would be the best recorder for stealth recordings and still sound good with a mic like the AT831 on sound professionals.com or church audio mics. Sources will be loud rock. I have looked at the tascam dr 40 and I had a dr 100 mk 2 Paid for on eBay but the guy messaged me to say it would not turn on. So much for a good deal. I just want a good beginner setup. Just good quality stereo sound better than my iPhone6s mono mic.
 Also If anyone is selling some used recorders I would be interested.

jcable77:
There is a relatively inexpensive set up(under $300) I've been using for stealthier stuff that I think sounds great and would be a good starter for you or anyone in my opinion. A gentleman who's on here makes Naiant audio gear and I think for the price is the best most realiable and versatile gear around. I've been using the Naiant's x-r system which entails switchable mics/capsules (I've been using the cardioids) that plug via RCA's into a small (x-y) amplifier powered by an a23 battery. Out of that it terminates to a mini 1/8th inch cable( and/or xlr stereo) which I've run into a tascam dr-05. You can also bypass the small x-y amp and run the mics directly from RCA to mini plug and the plug in power will provide the power the mics need. As far as inexpensive rigs go, for the money I'm surprised how good it sounds. And if you purchase the xlr stereo output out of the x-r amp it works well into the tascam dr-40 as well. I've tried both and have been pleasantly surprised. The best part is when you want to invest in different mics/ capsules there's all the options( Omni's, hypers, nearfields, etc.) For $70 a pair I believe it is. Just my 2 cents. It's worth looking into.
http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/microphone-accessories/x-r-microphone-system-output-cables/

heathen:
Church Audio is quality gear but you should know that it can take a bit for the product to be shipped.  I say this because I recently got back into taping and started with CA mics based on reading many recommendations on here, but it wasn't until after I ordered that I learned that sometimes the gear can take a while to be shipped.  Lots of people recommend it without pointing this out.  There is a thread about these issues, but it's in a different forum than where one might look to research mics.

I've been happy with the Roland R-05 for a small recorder.  I haven't used any other small recorders, though, so I'm not going to try to say it's the best.  Certainly it's at least an option to consider, though.

opsopcopolis:
It would be pretty tough to go wrong these days on recorders. Anything that can record in PCM WAV that has an 1/8 inch input will be fine with either of those setups. The DR-40 might be a bit on the bulky side for stealth though

Popmarter:
Forget Church Audio, take the AT853 from the yardsale here. I used AT831 too for years, great beginners setup but go for 853 if you have the cash. get a preamp or batterybox and one of the two channels mentioned here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version