Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Most elegant powering solution for mixpre6?

(1/4) > >>

jnorman34:
I have read about 2000 posts now about the mixpre and usb and sleds and hirose and still haven’t figured out the best way to power my mixpre6.  I have an anker 20000mah usb-c powerbank recommended by SD, and it works fine, but it is huge and awkward and the usb-c cable sticking out bothers me and doesn’t seem all that secure.  The hawk woods adapter for L batteries is $155, but may be the answer.  Anyway, what is the most elegant solution you have found?

dallman:
I know this is personal preference, but for me it is USB C. I have a bunch of USB C style batteries in different sizes and mah's and even the smallest will only be half way down usually less after a typical show. I don't mind the USB C attachment at all, as I have a bunch of decks that use USB mini or micro which is basically the same and I have never given it a second thought. That said my MixPre6 deck is in a portabrace and I recently tried and like using a short USB C male to USB C female cable which stays always attached, so all I do is attach the USB C cable coming from my battery to that. The portabrace keeps the USB C cable firmly in place and there is really no way it can be pulled out with all the velcro and flaps.

For me the kicker is that I am not willing to give up the battery pack as a backup, which while it may not last long, and which I probably will never need, is still there if a battery fails and IMO a backup is always good. I always use an external battery along with with internal batteries on all my decks, even in low pro situations. In all non low pro situations, I keep an extra battery in the bag in case of a failure, although other than 2 of the original tekkeons, I have never had a battery fail during a show. It may be overkill, but it gives me comfort to have 2 power sources.

jnorman34:
Thanks for your comments, Dallman.

rippleish20:
It depends on your definition of elegant.

I mostly use the 8 battery sled but supplement it with a USB-c battery if I am at a festival or longer show. Powering via USB-c doesnt bother me.  I usually use a monoprice USB-c battery. Its thin and fits nicely into my case. I like it better than the anker personally.

I also have the LMount sled and Hawk-woods dummy sled to DC 12v connector.  I don't have any LMount batteries to use in conjunction with it, otherwise this would make for a  nice setup because you could hot swap if needed...

mfrench:
have you looked into the right or left angle USB cables?
I've downsized to a DR70D, and run a small USB/cellphone battery velcro'ed to the bottom of the recorder. It is connected by a short right angle at both ends USB cable. It it tight to the rig, and I'm not even slightly concerned about it coming disconnected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version