Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Schoeps Demystified

(1/13) > >>

krowllaw:
It is time to upgrade some equipment and I am a little confused about the different Schoeps offerings.  I have quotes for the Schoeps CMC6 + MK4 pair and a pair of the Neumann KM 184s. I will be doing stereo recording primarily in small clubs, theatres and warehouse style venues with bad acoustics.  Sometimes I get to mix in two channels from a soundboard feed, all into a Sound Devices MixPre-6. 

I didn’t realize all the different capsules available for the Schoeps CMC6.  Cardiod, Wide Cardiod, Super Cardiod, etc.  I’ve primarily used AKG cardiod and hyper cardiod in the past, but is there a better choice for my situation than the standard MK4 cardiod? 

For my purposes, is the Schoeps worth the extra money over the Neumann KM184s?  I have a great quote on the Neumanns so that is very tempting.

Will either of these microphone options be suitable and sufficient to go directly into the MixPre-6?

Thanks in advance, I’d really like to spend the money well! I’ve really enjoyed reading all the forum posts and learning.  There is a lot of new information since I was active in the recording community 20 years ago!

admkrk:
The KM184 is basically a KM140, with a fixed capsule. If you want to be able to swap caps, you should be comparing a Neumann set with a KM100 body. If you do not care about being able to swap caps, then having various different capsules available does not matter.

Sloan Simpson:
I own (and love!) the 184s. Either the MK4s or 184s will make you great recordings, they are just different flavors of great. I'd dig through archive.org recordings  and see which is your favorite. You will hear a lot about Schoeps being muddy, but IMO judicious use of EQ is essential for any good mic.

nak700s:
Different mics for different ears.  As was suggested already, go onto archive.org and sample different mics and see what sounds best to your ears.  Just be sure to use comparable venues and recording locations.

My only suggestion, based on what you are using them for, is to get a directional pair of mics.  They don't necessarily have to be hyper cardioids, but somewhere in between that and a cardioid would probably be best for your needs.

As for the mixpre-6, I would ask someone who uses one they way you want to use it.  I use a 744T, often recording in the same manner you are, and I can run directly into it using the pre-amp and phantom power when needed, and love it.  I would think the mixpre-6 would also have an excellent pre.

Charlie Miller:

--- Quote from: krowllaw on October 09, 2017, 02:09:02 PM ---It is time to upgrade some equipment and I am a little confused about the different Schoeps offerings.  I have quotes for the Schoeps CMC6 + MK4 pair and a pair of the Neumann KM 184s. I will be doing stereo recording primarily in small clubs, theatres and warehouse style venues with bad acoustics.  Sometimes I get to mix in two channels from a soundboard feed, all into a Sound Devices MixPre-6. 

I didn’t realize all the different capsules available for the Schoeps CMC6.  Cardiod, Wide Cardiod, Super Cardiod, etc.  I’ve primarily used AKG cardiod and hyper cardiod in the past, but is there a better choice for my situation than the standard MK4 cardiod? 

For my purposes, is the Schoeps worth the extra money over the Neumann KM184s?  I have a great quote on the Neumanns so that is very tempting.

Will either of these microphone options be suitable and sufficient to go directly into the MixPre-6?

Thanks in advance, I’d really like to spend the money well! I’ve really enjoyed reading all the forum posts and learning.  There is a lot of new information since I was active in the recording community 20 years ago!

--- End quote ---

I have MK4's and run them from clubs to stadiums. Great caps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version