Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Best internal mic unit to replace Edirol R09?

(1/6) > >>

gambra:
I've been taping shows for years now with the Edirol R-09 unit with the internal mics. I'm looking to move on after all this time preferably to another all in one/internal mic unit. I'd rather not have a full mic/preamp/battery box rig unless there's a single mic that's now recommended for around the €150 region that doesn't need external power.

Edit: Before anyone asks I only do stealth tapings.

heathen:
Is €150 your total budget or just your budget for external mics?

MakersMarc:
I'm sorry if this offends, but you'll improve recordings a thousand percent by investing in a pair of new or used church audio cards. Should be within your budget. Others can chime in re: whether the pip on the Edirol will power the mics or if a battery box is needed.

obsidian:

--- Quote from: MakersMarc on December 06, 2017, 11:12:04 AM ---I'm sorry if this offends, but you'll improve recordings a thousand percent by investing in a pair of new or used church audio cards. Should be within your budget. Others can chime in re: whether the pip on the Edirol will power the mics or if a battery box is needed.

--- End quote ---

+1
It doesn't even have to be Church Audio Mics. Sound Pros, Mic Madness and Core Sound all make some amazing mics to fit just about any budget. I use Naiants to stealth (if that is the goal) and have had amazing results using just them and the mic input (mic power).  A battery box will push the mics a little better but if simplicity is what you want - then nothing wrong with using mic-in power. Still better than the internals by a long shot.

mfrench:
I've recorded in the Persian community for quite a while. When I started up, I'd attend shows where there was a lady who had a shoebox style portable mono cassette recorder.  It always amused me, bringing me back to 1969/70, and trying to capture my favorite songs from 93KHJ AM radio Los Angelels, from my transistor 8-Ball radio 1.5" speaker, with a similar shoebox deck, and, included outboard plastic mic..

At any rate, she'd be in the hall early, and sit next to the center aisle, hit record, and place it on the floor next to her in the center aisle.
I asked if she'd like to have copy of mine, with permission from the ensemble. She said no, that she was quite happy with hers; mono cassette from an early 70's recorder, with single built-in mic; this in 2005+ or so.
We'd exchange nicities at just about all of the concerts around So.Cal, and she kept her mono deck fed and spinning.
It doesn't always have to be about righteous fidelity to keep people happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version