Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

RØDE NT-SF1

(1/5) > >>

BlindGuyEars:
In time for the @NABshow, #RØDE Mics announces its first broadcast-grade, 360-degree capture mic.

The @SoundFieldMic By RØDE NT-SF1 is the first true condenser #ambisonic mic available under USD $1000.

http://www.rode.com/nt-sf1

Now, can someone tell me how Ambisonics differs from say, binaural?

heathen:
I'm no expert, but the main difference is that ambisonic mics basically capture sound at a single point, whereas binaural mics are positioned at the ears (so there's not only space but also a baffle).  There is software that can create binaural sound from an ambisonic recording.

Another big difference is that an ambisonic mic gives you flexibility in manipulating the recording in post (for example, you can take a single ambisonic recording and, with software, convert it to Blumlein, XY cards, XY hypers, omni, etc), whereas that is not the case for binaural.

Gutbucket:
To expound on that a bit-

Think of Ambisonics as Mid/Side -  except 3-dimensional, and with an unconstrained relationship between pickup pattern and microphone angle.  So no need to choose a Mid pattern, or even point the mic in any specific direction beforehand (you do need to know its orientation, it just doesn't matter which way it points).  You can choose any pattern and point the virtual mics in any direction afterwards.  That flexibility is its advantage.   The drawbacks are that it is limited to coincident patterns only, requires 4 recorded channels, and requires post-recording decisions and processing.

Binaural is not a coincident arrangement and is not as flexible, using a dummy head or a real head with microphones placed in the ears.  It records Head Related Transfer Function HTRF cues including those derived from ear-shape which can make for very realistic playback over headphones as long as the HTRF and ears used for recording match those of the listener closely enough. It requires only two recorded channels and no post-processing.  Drawbacks are that it is pointed in a specific direction and that orientation cannot be adjusted after the recording has been made, the post production manipulation options are more limited, and speaker playback may somewhat compromised compared to headphone listening.

Hypnocracy:
RØDE Capsule sound has never been my favorite...that they have a remote capsule setup NT6 that is not frequently used by TS members IMO speaks volumes...I'd love to hear one of these... 

2manyrocks:
There's a youtube video from NAB where the Rode rep shows the windshield and shock mount that comes with this mic.  The windshield looks pretty large to me.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTs7fk1mmI

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version