Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Advice on mastering an acoustic show

(1/4) > >>

tapeworm48:
anyone have any best practices they use when mastering an acoustic show?  i taped a show with a solo performer, acoustic the entire night. standing crowd on a flat floor, small venue.  the crowd in between songs is louder than the music ever gets.  cardioids 8' from overhead speaker. 

should i normalize to the crowd noise? or normalize to the music, and let crowd clip?
i have access to audacity for editing software.

any other thoughts pointers?  in the past all i have done is clap removal, occassional hard limiting. 

thanks.

Ronmac:
I cut the audience clapping and ambiance between songs to a separate stereo track, allowing you to compress and limit as required. Mix it together with the music track and print.

Gutbucket:
Personally I can't stand clipped applause, and set my levels based on that when the music is lower in level.

If you want to make the effort to reduce the level of the applause between songs, doing so can makes for a better listening experience.

Ronmac's method of doing so is a good one.

capnhook:
I always envelope the applause down, and up again, with well-designed ramps.

Very natural sounding when you get the knack.  :headphones:

Gordon:

--- Quote from: capnhook on April 12, 2018, 10:57:11 AM ---I always envelope the applause down, and up again, with well-designed ramps.

Very natural sounding when you get the knack.  :headphones:

--- End quote ---

this.  then raise overall gain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version