Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

which set of mics has a problem??

(1/3) > >>

Gordon:
Any help would be greatly appreciated! John Bell and I both ran onstage last weekend (same stand on vark bar). I needed a tiny bit of his source to splice and we are going to do a comp between the two. Anyway the peaks in the waveforms are reversed! So my limited knowledge tells me one source is out of phase or the phase is reversed or something. The phase scope in wavelab looks the same on both (vertical with all peaks between 0 and +1). If I invert phase to either source they then look identical and again phase scope looks fine. Both sources sound fine either way. No dc offset according to wavelab.

So how to know which set of mics has the problem? The reason for the odd waveform is 3 horns mostly in the left channel recording onstage. This makes it very obvious. My source is Neumann ak40 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA > MixPre-6. John will have to chime in with exact source but it's something like new nbob m20's > nbob kcy > 60v PFA > mixpre6.

First pic is my source, second is his.

phase_ak40 by Gordon Wilson, on Flickr

phase_m20 by Gordon Wilson, on Flickr

jbell:
My source is MG M20 caps > Nbob KCY> PFA> Sound devices Mixpre-6! 

Cheesecadet:
If they are two independent sets of mics does one of them have to be wrong? 

If one set of mics had flipped waveforms I would think something is up, this, not so much.

Just my .02

Gordon:

--- Quote from: Cheesecadet on April 14, 2018, 02:00:40 PM ---If they are two independent sets of mics does one of them have to be wrong? 

--- End quote ---

Ran on same stand, both din inches apart one would not expect waveforms to be completely reversed.

Gordon:

--- Quote from: unidentified on April 14, 2018, 03:05:41 PM ---I prefer the peaks in my waveforms to be revered.

--- End quote ---

Obviously a typo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version