Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 391s  (Read 7889 times)

busknuckle

• Trade Count: (0)
AKG 391s
« on: June 11, 2003, 11:40:47 PM »
I know that NickGregory and wrangler are running them...

I'm really considering making these the mics that I upgrade to. I like the fact that IF I am able/willing to score the needed accesories, I can run the caps in a stealth situation if needed. I can also use them with the nice stand I recently acquired too.

What are your opinions on these mics? How do they rate. I've gotten some patches out of a fellow taper's deck who runs 480s>V2>grahm patton a/d>da-p1 and I've liked the sound.

I TOTALLY realize that the 391s are NOT in the same class as the 480s but I'm still leaning towards the AKG line.

this would be my future rig if I get them:

akg 391s>PS2>modded SBM-1>M1

whattta ya'll think?

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
Re:AKG 391s
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 12:26:43 AM »
I just picked up a set and i cant wait to run them... Thanks again Lee ;D

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 01:56:42 AM »
congrats bro.  +T

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 02:02:25 AM »
I love the sound of the 300's... as much as I'd love to get some 480's, I'll probably pick up some bluelines.

Try the AKG's with a wmod UA-5 8)
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 02:04:46 AM »
you know you want those 480s.   ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 09:37:47 AM »
So I ran a similar rig with no preamp prior to getting my MP-2, and was pleased with the results.  I did add a couple of AT transformers to give me more gain to work with, but the results were good.  Lineage was

391(s)>B18s>AT CP8201>Mod SBM1>D100

A couple of examples of this combo are posted here...:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=5385

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=1693

Also, I would probably stay away from the extension cables for a couple of reasons.  First, they are expensive, if I could get a pair for under $200 I would probably do it, but $400 + is absurd.  In addition, they are useless in my opinion for stealthing if you have to go through metal detectors.  The cables do nothing more than move the bodies farther down in the chain so you still have to use (and find a place to smuggle through the detectors) the solid metal body.  The only advantage I see of the cables is a lower profile stand, and if you do stealthing where wands do not come into play.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the 391's.  In my opinion, at their price point (~$400 used) they stand alone.  They blow the Oktava's and C1000s away, and probably the only earthworks mic I would use over them would be the SR77.  The 480's are a different class of mic, but I don''t believe you will be disappointed with the 391's.

If you have any questions I could answer, just drop me a line.

Nick

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 12:04:43 PM »
Try the AKG's with a wmod UA-5

Thats what the next buy is. I think i am going to break down and buy it new. First i'll have to sell my stand, ps-2, and ad-20. So that will only leave me with paying around 150$. So its not that bad.

As for the 391s. I have only ran them one time. They blow the c1000s out of the water imo. Still a little thin on the low end, but hopefully the warm mod ua5 will help with that.

If you would like a tape let me know. I can send you the Allstars from 6-6-03 in Jackson. I ran 391s (xy) > ps-2 >ad-20 >jb3. I am missing the encore because of a battery problem. But i should have it when Trey gets his tapes out.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 12:06:58 PM »
Try the AKG's with a wmod UA-5
As for the 391s. I have only ran them one time. They blow the c1000s out of the water imo. Still a little thin on the low end, but hopefully the warm mod ua5 will help with that.

The Mod SBM1 has really helped me with the low end of the 391's....has a nice sound.

Nick

Offline quantegy

• Taperssection Regular
  • AKG 391's > UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 12:10:45 PM »
Yep, the warm mod is next on my list. Can't wait. Wish I could send it off today but I will have to wait, low on dough.... :'(

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 12:18:56 PM »
low on dough....

Same here.

Hopefully we will win big this weekend at the Golf Tourny.The Calcuta for championship is usually around 900$ to each member of the winning team. I already have it spent in my head. Now all we have to is shoot 16 under on sat and 17 on sunday and i'll be good to go.

Offline the magoo

• better off dead
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 11:45:17 PM »

I'm really considering making these the mics that I upgrade to. I like the fact that IF I am able/willing to score the needed accesories, I can run the caps in a stealth situation if needed. I can also use them with the nice stand I recently acquired too.

What are your opinions on these mics? How do they rate. I've gotten some patches out of a fellow taper's deck who runs 480s>V2>grahm patton a/d>da-p1 and I've liked the sound.

I TOTALLY realize that the 391s are NOT in the same class as the 480s but I'm still leaning towards the AKG line.

whattta ya'll think?

if u can run them good akg's can rock with any mic ask bean ;Dhe loves his and so do I

Goo
"if u see me comin' better step aside, alot of men didn't and alot of men died. one fist of iron, the other of steel, and if the right one don't get ya then the left one will"

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 12:06:10 AM »
yes i do......those and b+k's....peeps have everything else...... :'(

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 01:05:40 AM »

whattta ya'll think?

if u can run them good akg's can rock with any mic ask bean ;Dhe loves his and so do I

Goo

and I love mine as well! +t to everyone
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 10:50:24 AM »
anyone good at transferring nmas shows?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com