Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 65404 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 11:16:38 PM »
I think they are not doing a low level format.  Probably just wiping the fat.

Robert, where you running the device with auto recover to a new file?  If you weren't that may be an important difference.   Btw, my pulls with the NOS bar are stellar - when I can get the files off my machine.

I posted on SD support page as well.  Don't know what else to do except pull what I can and erase the drive.  Although given that I've seen file copy problems, I'm scared to wipe my master files - but I need to be running tomorrow night.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 12:05:43 AM »
If you do the MD5 compare "trick" that I did, you'll at least know you pulled off a copy that's identical to the copy on the drive if the MD5s match. I am trying to format between every show if I can.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 01:04:21 PM »
my experience with md5s and the 744T is that it's a good idea to make md5s of your files on the SD recorder a couple times and compare to be sure they are the same. In a few cases I had to do it several times to get 2 md5s that were in agreement for some files - and in one case I had to copy a file from the 744T HD to my PC 4 times before I got a copy identical to the original on the 744T. without having done a bunch of experimentation it seemed like it was the same files that were problematic in both situations, or at least there was a pretty good overlap - not sure what that means...

Steve

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 01:24:45 PM »
my experience with md5s and the 744T is that it's a good idea to make md5s of your files on the SD recorder a couple times and compare to be sure they are the same. In a few cases I had to do it several times to get 2 md5s that were in agreement for some files - and in one case I had to copy a file from the 744T HD to my PC 4 times before I got a copy identical to the original on the 744T. without having done a bunch of experimentation it seemed like it was the same files that were problematic in both situations, or at least there was a pretty good overlap - not sure what that means...

Steve

I'm seeing the same behavior.

If you run across that situation again, would you try running the INHDD:repair utility and see if it changes the result?  I'm in the process of summing everything and then doing copies after doing a repair.

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 02:46:23 PM »
you betcha. altho I may have done it already - when I got the "disk too slow" msg on Sat I ran a disk repair and got things running again. there were old files on the HD that I pulled off on Sun and still gave me problems. but it wasn't a disk repair and then immediate transfer, I did record additional files, so maybe that has an effect.

Steve

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 03:43:27 PM »
Well, disturbing update number 52:

I ran INHDD:repair and chkdsk and verified that there were no errors.
I then ran an MD5 on the drive.
I then ran INHDD:repair and it reported 28/23 detected/fixed errors.   

So apparently just reading the HD via fire wire and writing an MD5 list file to the disk causes files system errors.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 04:32:11 PM »
When you run the MD5 process, don't write to the 722 disk, just write that to your local machine (or display only if you're on the command line). I just formatted last night. I'm tempted to take a free ticket to Panic to test this out. Okay ... not that tempted ;)

In any case, I'm definitely doing a show on Monday, and I'll be recording at least 2 different acts, so I'll see how the unit behaves. Too bad it's not easier to swap a drive in and out, since it seems like the only real issue these units have is with how they behave as FW drives.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 06:35:46 PM »
I'm tempted to take a free ticket to Panic to test this out. Okay ... not that tempted ;)

it's okay, rock and roll isn't for everyone :P

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 08:38:07 PM »
weak!  you've used that one before

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 03:32:38 PM »
Quick update:

This fucking piece of shit - I'm missing huge sections of the Philly show.  The "start new file on disk error" does not seem to have worked properly. 

I was able to "recover" the content of the take that was truncated due to error.  The next sequential take is cut off and missing quite a bit on both ends. 

I had similar media problems in DC but those I still need to pull.

Damn this piece of shit.

/rant off for now

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 04:05:16 PM »
I didn't have it set to start a new file on error for the mule last week, but when I restarted the 722, it went from 40 minutes on the counter to 11 minutes.

You reformatted before the show, right? 

And when everyone says reformat, they mean they ran the drive erase feature in the menu, no?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 04:16:49 PM »
I saw the same thing - cleared the error message and thought "cool, it's still running and it's 8 minutes into the new file".  Well, not cool.  Not cool at all.

No I didn't reformat and that is also because of deficiencies with the unit.

I have earlier shows on there and could not get them off before I left for nyc because the firewire is so slow and I have to MD5 the originals and the copies so many times to get a copy that is correct.  I'm seeing the same crap Matt reported.  About 1 out of 3 file copy operations results in a MD5 mismatch.  About 1 out of 7 MD5 sum and verification operations against the originals fails.  So the transfer procedure for a show takes about 3 hours if everything goes well.   (about the amount of time it takes to do a realtime transfer and tracking of DAT to CD. Nice huh?)

I'm trying to get my shows off this drive so I can reformat it before the next show.  But the drive was cleared of all files via the firewire interface and all shows recorder sequentially with no files removed between the takes.  So there should have been no frragmentation of the drive regardless of what others have suspected might be the cause of the slow media message.   

Offline wboswell

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 04:28:33 PM »
You're awfully picky.  Just dump the files and reformat.  What's a few bits here and there?  You probably won't even notice them on playback ;)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 04:33:21 PM »
You're awfully picky.  Just dump the files and reformat.  What's a few bits here and there?  You probably won't even notice them on playback ;)

+t for making me laugh.  I've been pissed off all day because of this.

If I thought it was just a sample or two that went bad, I'd ignore it.  I'm afraid of getting 20 minutes of static.

Offline wboswell

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 04:47:35 PM »
fwiw, we've never run an md5 check on anything we've taped (9 different acts) and they've all turned out fine with the exception of the show that we got the media too slow error.  Not saying there wasn't an error on the recording at some point, but I have yet to hear it on playback.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com