Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need PC Speaker Recomendations....  (Read 7310 times)

Offline arawak420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • We Are Creatures Of Love, & Victims Of Hate
    • Arawak420 Live Music List
Need PC Speaker Recomendations....
« on: July 05, 2005, 02:36:09 PM »
hay guys. my speakers on my pc are awful and when i convert and edit shows they sound awful on my stereo. i tried running a 1/8" mini to rca to my home stereo preamp and it humms like crazy. im using a monster cable as well. so im trying to get some good affordable suggestions to a fiarly good sounding set of pc speakers. $100-$200 range is what im looking for.

thanks much
http://www.phishhook.com/lists/arawak420

Sonic Studios DSM-6s/EL- >PA-6 -> NeurosHD II

"until the colour of a mans skin is no more significant than the colour of his eyes,everywhere is war."
Haile Selassie I

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need PC Speaker Recomendations....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 03:29:32 PM »
i tried running a 1/8" mini to rca to my home stereo preamp and it humms like crazy. im using a monster cable as well.

Sounds like you have good cable but may have a short in the analog out of your soundcard.  What kind of soundcard are you using?

As far as speakers are concerned you should buy first what you can afford but also realize that using most bundled speakers for computers are really kinda crappy.   I have a few friends that have all bought the M-Audio Studiophile DX4 monitors.  I think they are right at $200 and sound really good for the price.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 04:17:59 PM »
i tried running a 1/8" mini to rca to my home stereo preamp and it humms like crazy. im using a monster cable as well.

Sounds like you have good cable but may have a short in the analog out of your soundcard.  What kind of soundcard are you using?

As far as speakers are concerned you should buy first what you can afford but also realize that using most bundled speakers for computers are really kinda crappy.   I have a few friends that have all bought the M-Audio Studiophile DX4 monitors.  I think they are right at $200 and sound really good for the price.

yeah, sounds like ground loop issue with the soundcard.
back in the fall when I was replacing my monitors, I found the M-Audio LX4 2.1 series to sound much better than anything else in the <$500 range. they are no Genelecs or Tannoys, but then again, if your looking at those brands, your budget is definately >$500!

the water's clean and innocent

Offline arawak420

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 03:18:25 PM »
im using a soundmax digital audio card. it came supplied with my dell 2400 desktop. my desktop speakers don't hum,but the the streo receiver makes a hum. should i upgrade the sound card to a audiophile or what a good sound card to get that i will be pleased with in the future?

"until the colour of a mans skin is no more significant than the colour of his eyes,everywhere is war."
Haile Selassie I

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:51:56 AM »
Swan m200's, try newegg.com or theaudioinsider.com

Rocket makes some line that I am sure sound decent as well.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 04:27:04 PM »
Swans M200s are unreal. Excellent sound and image for the money.
I have them at the office and could not be happier.    ;D

Fo reference, those "woofers" are 5 1/2 inches.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 04:31:55 PM by Reykjavik Bob »

Offline arawak420

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 06:14:28 PM »
nice recommends. may see about the swans.

any ideas on a soundcard for $100 or less. i really dont need all the dat transfer capabilities as im running a HD unit for recording and i load everything firewire straight to soundforge7. i need a good listening/audio card (cool if it does have the plug in features) and speakers for editing,eq,etc.... the system i hqve now i can't really get right from system to system i play the recordings on. i.e. sounds good on pc, but not home or car, or sounds good in home, but not in car and pc..

if i can get a good audio card/speakers then i can get these recordings to be superbly sound in any playback system.

and and can someone give me more neg karma. im on a mission to see how much of it i can obtain seeings how 60 people think i need it. havent been on the site in over 8 months and somehow got a lot of neg karma. i geuss my spirit has plagued the site or something.

Haile Selassie I

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 08:46:59 AM »
if anyone is looking for active monitors in the $500 price range, I picked up a set of Blue Sky's media desk and they sound very nice.  Highly recommend them

http://www.savedbytechnology.com/2003/blue_sky_media_desk.htm
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 03:53:49 AM »
I'm about to order the MTracker and thought I'd better order some good monitors for post work on computer at the same time to save on shpping. I will get the audiophile2496 and so am trying to figure out if I want to buy active monitors w/ digi IN or get a rec'ver for the DAC.

What are the pro's and con's of having digi in monitors vs. the rca in? I'm looking in the 300$ range...Would prefer NOT to have to buy another recvr, as I'm also upgrading hometheater at present AND buying furniture. (note to self: moving to Europe is really effin espensive).

And.....don't kick me in the face if I've asked a dumas Q. :-)

Thanks!
Andrew
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 07:43:14 AM »
wow..those look nice.

for cheap money, the stupid little edirol digital speakers sound decent.

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 08:59:52 AM »
wow..those look nice.

for cheap money, the stupid little edirol digital speakers sound decent.
Thanks, Nick. But what are the REASONS for going to a digi in besides convenience. Will they impact the sound in any significant way at this $$ range?
p.s. I think you've got me sold in the Sony 3100es for home theater. I DID see a 7100 on Pricegrabber for 1100 bux though. Tempting.... Went and listened to the Canton Ventos yesterday (for HT) and they are very tastylicious. Probably shouldn't afford them though....needing furniture really effin' sux.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline MBecker

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 09:03:56 AM »
for cheap, but solid speakers, look at the klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers, they used to run for $200, but occasionally dell with run deals to get them for about $110.  For a soundcard, the m-audio transit can be had off amazon for $70.  Its a usb soundcard that also does 24/96.  Only negative is that it use optical inputs/outputs instead of coaxial.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 10:07:28 AM by MBecker »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 09:06:07 AM »
I have got the klipsch promedia 2.1s as well and they sound fantastic for computer speakers...more than sufficient to do editing, cutting up, etc.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 11:09:19 AM »
for soundcards, I strongly recommend the chaintech av-710, available for a whopping $25 from newegg.com, etc.  This card provides an optical digital out (optical only, unfortunately) that, with a bios flash, will pass bitperfect spdif out and also provides VERY nice analog sound via a burr-brown dac.  See, http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-71477.html for a pretty detailed review. 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 05:26:28 PM »
What are the pro's and con's of having digi in monitors vs. the rca in? I'm looking in the 300$ range...Would prefer NOT to have to buy another recvr, as I'm also upgrading hometheater at present AND buying furniture. (note to self: moving to Europe is really effin espensive).

IMO, the biggest advantage of the standalone digital monitors is that you can take them in your luggage on tour.  Hauling around a receiver and speakers is not as convenient.   A medium sized pair should fit nicely in a rolling carry-on luggage bag.  I can't count the times I've been in a hotel room with fresh tapes after a show and nothing but headphones.

Probably not the most common of selection criteria, but I have my priorities.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.213 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com