Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (COMPLETE!!!)  (Read 26548 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations...
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 05:23:38 PM »
well...
lets consider his needs, like you say.
does he need to drop $400 + the cost of media?  after all..he's likely not doing 24bit.  so if hes just doing 16bit, whats wrong w/the jb3?

I dont believe the flashtracker will be a good "all in one" HQ box.  I think of it performing like a jb3..only with phantom and funky jacks.  I think putting the dough into mics will serve best.

or maybe even one of the concert mod Marantz boxes...with media and a good pair of mics.  it think that can be had for well under $2k and be a very HQ 16bit solution.
i'm tempted to go that route myself.
:)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 05:25:12 PM »
you know what...i bet the guy who asked the questions doesnt even show back up..here we are racking our brains for nothing.! :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 05:32:38 PM by BigRay »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 05:42:09 PM »
I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with the JB3 at all.

Sometimes I think on this site that we get stuck with tunnel vision when we are talking gear (myself certainly included).   While the JB3 is a good piece of gear is it really the best answer for this particular case?  I don't think it is IMHO.  If I were a first-time taper a unit like the Marantz would scare the shit out of me.   The MicroTracker could be "the bomb" or "a bomb" and we won't know until many folks have them in the field.  But on paper it seems to be extremely versitile in terms of size, weight, inputs and outputs.  To compare it to something else would be difficult.  I really believe that (fingers crossed) the MicroTracker will be a taper-in-a-box solution with a set of mics.  Now will it replace my V3? Never.  Will I ever use it for anything other than recording? No   but I do think that alot of others will.  Its amazing how many people I have met in Texas alone who tape inconspicuously/stealth where the promise of this unit affects the way they will tape.   

Regarding the 24bit > 16bit part.  How many tapers will use the 24 bit capabilities?  I think while there is a good amount that will, I think a larger percentage will not and will stick with 16 bit.   Remember we on this site are the hardcore taper geeks.  We only represent a small portion of the taping community at large.   

Alot of times when I see a post by someone who is new it always seems that the first few responses are JB3 and UA5 related.  And those pieces of gear are great, but  aren't there other alternatives and ways of thinking ?

Ray76

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 05:47:25 PM »

Sometimes I think on this site that we get stuck with tunnel vision when we are talking gear (myself certainly included).   While the JB3 is a good piece of gear is it really the best answer for this particular case?  I don't think it is IMHO.  If I were a first-time taper a unit like the Marantz would scare the shit out of me.   The MicroTracker could be "the bomb" or "a bomb" and we won't know until many folks have them in the field.  But on paper it seems to be extremely versitile in terms of size, weight, inputs and outputs.  To compare it to something else would be difficult.  I really believe that (fingers crossed) the MicroTracker will be a taper-in-a-box solution with a set of mics.  Now will it replace my V3? Never.  Will I ever use it for anything other than recording? No   but I do think that alot of others will.  Its amazing how many people I have met in Texas alone who tape inconspicuously/stealth where the promise of this unit affects the way they will tape.   

Regarding the 24bit > 16bit part.  How many tapers will use the 24 bit capabilities?  I think while there is a good amount that will, I think a larger percentage will not and will stick with 16 bit.   Remember we on this site are the hardcore taper geeks.  We only represent a small portion of the taping community at large.   

Alot of times when I see a post by someone who is new it always seems that the first few responses are JB3 and UA5 related.  And those pieces of gear are great, but  aren't there other alternatives and ways of thinking ?

no other ways of thinking.
dont buck the system.

youll get negatived if you do , by God.

conform to the mold. Embrace it.  :P

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 05:50:49 PM »

Sometimes I think on this site that we get stuck with tunnel vision when we are talking gear (myself certainly included). While the JB3 is a good piece of gear is it really the best answer for this particular case? I don't think it is IMHO. If I were a first-time taper a unit like the Marantz would scare the shit out of me. The MicroTracker could be "the bomb" or "a bomb" and we won't know until many folks have them in the field. But on paper it seems to be extremely versitile in terms of size, weight, inputs and outputs. To compare it to something else would be difficult. I really believe that (fingers crossed) the MicroTracker will be a taper-in-a-box solution with a set of mics. Now will it replace my V3? Never. Will I ever use it for anything other than recording? No but I do think that alot of others will. Its amazing how many people I have met in Texas alone who tape inconspicuously/stealth where the promise of this unit affects the way they will tape.

Regarding the 24bit > 16bit part. How many tapers will use the 24 bit capabilities? I think while there is a good amount that will, I think a larger percentage will not and will stick with 16 bit. Remember we on this site are the hardcore taper geeks. We only represent a small portion of the taping community at large.

Alot of times when I see a post by someone who is new it always seems that the first few responses are JB3 and UA5 related. And those pieces of gear are great, but aren't there other alternatives and ways of thinking ?

over 10k on this board...a little more than a handful.
and we talk up the ua5>jb3 for a reason.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 05:52:34 PM »
dont buck the system.

conform to the mold. Embrace it.  :P

you know thats funny.  Before I hit send I looked at my karma points and thought "there they go"    Last time I tried to buck the system I got nailed on karma points.  Maybe this time i'll get some +'s for thinking outside the box a little   :)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 05:53:13 PM »
over 10k on this board...a little more than a handful.
and we talk up the ua5>jb3 for a reason.

Out of that 10k, how many really take it to the extremes though?  Lots of patchers and supporters around.  I'd be curious to know what percentage of that 10k actually post on a regular basis or are even logged on regularly.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Ray76

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 05:57:22 PM »
dont buck the system.

conform to the mold. Embrace it.  :P

you know thats funny.  Before I hit send I looked at my karma points and thought "there they go"    Last time I tried to buck the system I got nailed on karma points.  Maybe this time i'll get some +'s for thinking outside the box a little   :)

Buck the system.  to hell with the karma points. Its refreshing to see new perspectives.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 06:00:06 PM »
well...posting vs. owning and knowing your rig..and good from bad...useful from not very useful..etc..is another ball game.

any way..
the guy asked the best ways to spend the dough.  i think he was shown that..and given tons of options.
we all know the chain of importance..
and it starts with mics.  then pre/ad..lastly what its writing to.
so why again is the Oade mod marantz not an awesome place to start? 
after all...since when has Doug made or mod'd anything that sucked?
I think that thing is just around $600 new, unmoded.  I bet its under $800 all decked out.  add a 2gb flash card or microdrive..and you can still have a bunch of money for great mics.
C4s..and there'd be change.  buy some concert tickets perhaps?
+T for all the great suggestions and trains of thought.

Ray76

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 06:01:33 PM »
well...posting vs. owning and knowing your rig..and good from bad...useful from not very useful..etc..is another ball game.

any way..
the guy asked the best ways to spend the dough.  i think he was shown that..and given tons of options.
we all know the chain of importance..
and it starts with mics.  then pre/ad..lastly what its writing to.
I think that thing is just around $600 new, unmoded.  I bet its under $800 all decked out.  add a 2gb flash card or microdrive..and you can still have a bunch of money for great mics.
C4s..and there'd be change.  buy some concert tickets perhaps?
+T for all the great suggestions and trains of thought.

I hope the feller comes back!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2005, 06:02:38 PM »

I hear you on that one!  Very true words.  +T to you for all the reviews.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2005, 06:17:03 PM »

I hope the feller comes back!

no shit..
i'm sure we scared im away on page 2

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »

I hear you on that one! Very true words. +T to you for all the reviews.

and by all means...I wasnt insinuating that *I* know what i'm talking about.
i've gotten where I am on 90% bullshit.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2005, 06:20:58 PM »

Now is the time where I think this thread has gotten out of hand a little bit.  I am not in any way, shape or form trying to disparage any piece of equipment or way of thinking.  I'm just trying to look at this particular situation from a beginner point of view and not an established taper pov.   Like the saying goes "there is more than one way to skin a cat"

The reason I did not suggest or push the Marantz is that I am a believer in the walk before you run theory. As far as 10k users I would as well be interested in seeing some site stats about usage.  What percentage of users here are active posters?  What percentage have <1000k rigs, <2000k+  ??  How many posters with less than 20 posts?

+t's for some healthy discussion though.     

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 06:23:14 PM »
different way of thinking I guess.
I see a single box as a nice turn key place to start for someone starting out.
plug the mics in..hit record and turn the dials until the lights are pretty.
what could be simpler?
you just menitoned that it would scare you...
but i dont understand why.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com