Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How hot do you run your rig???  (Read 8998 times)

Offline Gary Hull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • All who Yonder are not Lost!!!
    • CDR List
How hot do you run your rig???
« on: August 08, 2003, 05:39:18 PM »
Here is a question I have been interested in for a while, and I was hoping to get some different peoples opinions on the subject.

I know that with most people transfer to the computer to burn to CD amd you can boost the levels of the recording afterwards.  Will the sound quality be better to push the levels during the recording, and not boost the levels on the computer or is it better to be conservative during the recording and boost the levels later???

Also, if it is better to be conservative, is there such a thing as being too conservative?

Thanks for the help

Gary

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:How hot do you run your rig???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 05:46:15 PM »
My computer sucks so I can't normalize the levels, but I do run with them peaking at -2 on the DAT deck.  "Too low" is not as big a deal with DAT as it is with analog, but I definitely boost them if the peaks are at like -6 or anything like that.  -2 gives you a little safety cushion if they drop a bomb or anything like that.

Brief, transient peaks (kick drums) for example, will not be as audible if you register an over as sustained peaks.  I don't want the kick drum going consistently over, but if it goes over a few times in the course of the set, I am not going to do anything about that.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 06:24:22 PM »
yea, it depends on how you do your transfers on your computer, especially the program, on cool edit pro you can up your volume, but it does make a difference in anolog and digital, analog the more you increase the more noise your gonna get.   i run just under overload, but yea if it does go over, its ok, unless it stays there, but for a split second its fine you shouldn't be able to hear it.  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 06:29:41 PM »
I like to run it HOT!  When I was running my MP2  I would jack that baby way up....just so it would kiss the over on loud drum beats.  Then I would set my deck to average around -6 and peak just under the zero.  

My UA5 is a different story.  If the red comes on too much the recording is shit....so I set it so it the over light on the UA5 comes on ONLY for a split second during the loudest parts of the show....this gives me levels between -6 and -2 on my deck.

TURN THAT BITCH UP!
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 06:50:59 PM »
I run haot as all hell too.  I truly think that a tape can me made or broken between -6 and -2...that is just my opinion though.  I try to peak anywhere between -2 and 0, with a consistent -6 al the time!
It's hard as hell to clip the mme anyway!
Daryan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 06:58:45 PM »
run it HOT....using the SBM, I have also learned that minor blinkng is no problem....-2 is where I want to be in most cases.  The only diversion I have had from this is acoustic show taping...which can be an issue when the crowd gets loud at the end of a song

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 07:16:40 PM »
I run haot as all hell too.  I truly think that a tape can me made or broken between -6 and -2...that is just my opinion though.  I try to peak anywhere between -2 and 0, with a consistent -6 al the time!
It's hard as hell to clip the mme anyway!
Daryan

Yep, hot is the way to go!

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 07:22:04 PM »
I ran my UA5 @ Alpine Valley Phish with the peak light flashing a few times every couple seconds. I think my tape came out pretty well, actually....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 07:36:03 PM »
I like to run it HOT!  When I was running my MP2  I would jack that baby way up....just so it would kiss the over on loud drum beats.  Then I would set my deck to average around -6 and peak just under the zero.  

My UA5 is a different story.  If the red comes on too much the recording is shit....so I set it so it the over light on the UA5 comes on ONLY for a split second during the loudest parts of the show....this gives me levels between -6 and -2 on my deck.

TURN THAT BITCH UP!

I can vouch for Becky, she does like it hot. I just transfered one of her shows. In the transfer using WaveLab, I got 11 overs. For grins I did a clip search in CoolEdit Pro. There were thousands, yes, thousands of "potential" clips. Listening back, I did noticed some harsh areas, but it didn't sound as bad as you would think.

I'm more conservative on my levels. I aim for no "overs", but usually end up with 1 or 2. As most have stated, usually on a transient percussive hits.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

cpclark

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 07:46:58 PM »
im agreeing with calico, using the MD for awhile made me very conservative with levels, b/c of the analog transfers i had to do with it, but with the dat and digital signals, its way hard to get loud clips, and my experience with the mp2 i used at IT and camden, i had the levels on the mp2 hittin the peak, getting action from the 4th light all the way up, mostly in the last 3, i coulnt believe it, way better than my ad20, which with an attenuator for the mics, can be run pretty hot

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 08:27:52 PM »
the first show i taped i ran hot, with the peaks on the d8 hitting the 0db range but never getting the clipping light. But when I transfered to the audiophile 2496 via coax, even though the d8 didn't show over, the monitors in the m-audio control panel were blinking in the red, and it made for a distast er of a tape. Peak Le did not show overs, but not sure why.

tried all ways to correct it, but finally ran a line out of the d8 into the analog inputs of the card

ever since i have been running a little lower, and averaging at the circle 12 of the  d8 dat (midpoint) and i have had no problems with transfers since.

so, i would say, run it as hot as you can without getting any bad effects...

chris k
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

cpclark

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 08:46:17 PM »
i think it has to do with what your transfering with, i have a ua5 that i just use for transfers to my laptops and if you use something like the ua5, its a/d can be different than the one in the dat and this could cause clipping in the unit transfering to pc as i have had experience with this with my MD but if you go digital to your computer, there should be minor issues with clipping unless you were running constant -2 to 0 decibels the whole time, that would do it

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 10:06:33 PM »
The ULN-2's A/D stage is "optimized" (sounds best) at -6. So I try to stay around there and use that 24th bit for headroom.

I can vouch for dB swings eating you for lunch. I was doing some unamped jazz shows where everything would be nice and pretty until the drum solo, and those transients popped red every time. Lesson learned ... aim for -12 at shows like that!

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 10:33:47 PM »
HOT!!  I run my V3 so the over lights blink a few times a song - a few minor, inaudible overs are worth it IMO for getting the overall levels higher.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

rabhan

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2003, 11:52:58 AM »
i try to push the levels so that i might get a one channel over maybe 4 times a set. and usually wavlab shows peaks at -1 or less than that. i can always do a channel copy if the clip is audible, i dont like having both channels clip, bc it is harder to fix those.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2003, 11:53:42 AM by Rabhan »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.251 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com