Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BUSTED!! Video taping DMB Philly last night  (Read 13629 times)

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
BUSTED!! Video taping DMB Philly last night
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:34:47 PM »
Well It happened I got busted video taping a DMB show.  Some girl narked on me right after Stay.  I am so pissed.  This security lady already had 2 african american gentleman that were quite large I might add coming from each side of the section.  She thought she was doing such a good thing and acted like I was a bad person or something.  I of course lied and tried to play off that I was recording with my phone etc. 

Meanwhile I am taken to a security office in the Wachovia Center and shaken down by the security and the Philly cops.  One guy, head of security I think,  tried to reach in my pocket and take my wallet out.  When I grabbed his hand and told him to stop touching my ass he said I hit him.  BULLSHIT.  The police then asked him if he would like to press charges for assault...can you fuckin' imagine?  Here I am not allowing my wallet to be taken and I am the assaulter?   Fucked up. 

In the end they stated that if I let them see my drivers license they would let me go.  I said I did nothing wrong and have no reason to give up my ID.  This 'head of security' stated that the police would search me and they would charge me with every crime they could for whatever was on me at that time.  I had a small amount of  C. indica  on me and the videos and chose the 'ill show you my ID route.  Plus getting out of this contrived assault charge was motivation too.  They copied my license and wrote down my section and seat number...It sucked now I am on file as a videotaper at god knows where.  What really sucks is that I feel like they share this information with other venues across the country and people will be looking for me and I will get busted running audio at taper unfriendly events.

Thanks for letting me vent.  Be sure to take some of my tix away because I got caught.

Peas,

dd

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: BUSTED!! Video taping DMB Philly last night
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »
 :police:
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:40:57 PM »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:55:07 PM »
Note to self : Never order WH tix for Todd :-*

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 02:59:03 PM »
Note to self : Never order WH tix for Todd :-*

What is 'WH'  You know I suck at the internets gewang. 

I appreciate all of you guys giving me a hard time about this :'(

;D

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 03:01:44 PM »

warehouse (band fand club, presale tix)
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Chris K

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »
i think george is referring to "warehouse" tickets. its been a while but i think that is the dmb fan club that pre-releases tickets before they go on sale to the public. so when they took your name and number down, they will probably cross referenced against warehouse tix

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 03:04:17 PM »

warehouse (band fand club, presale tix)

ehh I dont want DMB fan club membership anyways.  Doesnt make me feel any less stupid though.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 03:06:17 PM »
Another shitty side effect of the ebay scene.  Anyone who is seen filming/recording is automatically a bootlegger trying to make a buck.

Though, it's odd that this happened at a DMB show.  You'd think that if they were cool with audio they'd be fine with video too.

Offline Chris K

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 03:08:37 PM »

ehh I dont want DMB fan club membership anyways.  Doesnt make me feel any less stupid though.

yeah, but did you get the tix from the warehouse? did the person you got the tix from get them from the warehouse? if so there may be consequesnces

-Elvis Presley

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 03:20:59 PM »

yeah, but did you get the tix from the warehouse? did the person you got the tix from get them from the warehouse? if so there may be consequesnces

no ticketmaster...do you think they will be informed?

Offline gewwang

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 03:23:35 PM »

Exactly, if I bought tix for a videotaper and they got busted, if WH found out I'd lose my membership.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »

Exactly, if I bought tix for a videotaper and they got busted, if WH found out I'd lose my membership.

Well I made a decision:  No more videotaping.  Its just not worth it.  :'( Getting me and/or others in a jam is not cool.  Luckily this time I am the only one that has to take the heat for my actions.  You make a great point gewang I would not want my actions to effect anybodys membership for any band....no matter how gay the band might be and its narking fans.  This may be my last DMB show too.  I am so angry and embarassed at myself for this one. >:(

I am sticking to what I know.....SPITTINESS 8)

Mojomonkee:  They did they treated me like a criminal like I was going to profit from the sale of these tapes.  I felt pretty small.  My lying to them did not cover up my feelings inside.  I was accused of bootlegging.  Doesnt bootlegging imply selling?  I have never or will never sell someone elses work in my life.  It was hard having those accusations thrown at me.  Fuck these guys on ebay they really are ruining things for us.  I didnt realize how much so until I came to this board.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 03:44:17 PM »
Well It happened I got busted video taping a DMB show.  Some girl narked on me right after Stay.  I am so pissed.  This security lady already had 2 african american gentleman that were quite large I might add coming from each side of the section.  She thought she was doing such a good thing and acted like I was a bad person or something.  I of course lied and tried to play off that I was recording with my phone etc. 

Meanwhile I am taken to a security office in the Wachovia Center and shaken down by the security and the Philly cops.  One guy, head of security I think,  tried to reach in my pocket and take my wallet out.  When I grabbed his hand and told him to stop touching my ass he said I hit him.  BULLSHIT.  The police then asked him if he would like to press charges for assault...can you fuckin' imagine?  Here I am not allowing my wallet to be taken and I am the assaulter?   Fucked up. 

In the end they stated that if I let them see my drivers license they would let me go.  I said I did nothing wrong and have no reason to give up my ID.  This 'head of security' stated that the police would search me and they would charge me with every crime they could for whatever was on me at that time.  I had a small amount of  C. indica  on me and the videos and chose the 'ill show you my ID route.  Plus getting out of this contrived assault charge was motivation too.  They copied my license and wrote down my section and seat number...It sucked now I am on file as a videotaper at god knows where.  What really sucks is that I feel like they share this information with other venues across the country and people will be looking for me and I will get busted running audio at taper unfriendly events.

Thanks for letting me vent.  Be sure to take some of my tix away because I got caught.

Peas,

dd

-T for your troubles!!!

I've found asshole fans to be as, if not more annoying than security/managers/etc.  Seems they take it upon themselves to either annoy/report tapers, or hassle them for copies.  I've had so much of this crap I'm tempted to just go stealth, even though I usually have permission from the band and end up sending them copies of the show.

As far as video goes though, I've never appreciated it.  I guess if there were a good song or two, or a particularly interesting guest player, sure, but otherwise just get great audio.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 04:33:54 PM »
Though, it's odd that this happened at a DMB show.  You'd think that if they were cool with audio they'd be fine with video too.

the policy has been no video for years now.  no video, no wireless receivers (IEM bullshit)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 04:47:30 PM »

Peas,

dd

this is the real problem : I had a small amount of  C. indica

if you are going to video tape, be very careful.  you know that you could get pulled back to the office at any time, why run the risk of a possession's charge?
i wish you hadn't had anything on you, so that you could tell those fucs to bug off.  it's not like they wanted to actually do any paperwork, they just knew you were fold eventually.

-t for your troubles, sorry man.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 04:56:07 PM »

Peas,

dd

this is the real problem : I had a small amount of  C. indica

if you are going to video tape, be very careful.  you know that you could get pulled back to the office at any time, why run the risk of a possession's charge?
i wish you hadn't had anything on you, so that you could tell those fucs to bug off.  it's not like they wanted to actually do any paperwork, they just knew you were fold eventually.

-t for your troubles, sorry man.

Your right that was the real problem.  Anyone who knows me knows I would have put up a big stink but with the Philly police there and that little stash, I was silenced and had to give up some other rights to keep that hidden.  Lesson learned.

Fluffermother caught wind of all this and she is really mad at me.  I hate when she says to me 'fluffy you know better' I hate to dissapoint her shes been a good mom.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 06:18:36 PM »
Not to bring up a dead horse, but when I got busted at Wachovia Center by U2, the venue and the band took me backstage and I can tell you there was nfw I was going to "just leave".

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 06:33:47 PM »

you're quite good at getting busted with that video camera, aren't ya dd!?  ;D
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline GNRArnold

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 07:10:05 PM »
Not to bring up a dead horse, but when I got busted at Wachovia Center by U2, the venue and the band took me backstage and I can tell you there was nfw I was going to "just leave".

I know, I've been there myself but the reality of the situation is if they even touch you, thats assault and taking tapes is theft unless they have a written warrant. I try to keep this stuff in mind anytime I stealth so I don't lose my equiptment or tapes again.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 07:56:34 PM »
at least you could get baked after this happened :smoking:
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 08:16:51 PM »
Bean!  ;D

I was not searched when I was busted but it would not have mattered. One cop did open my eyeglass case when looking in my small gear bag.

Did you take any pictures?  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47947.0

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 09:07:38 PM »
As far as video goes though, I've never appreciated it.  I guess if there were a good song or two, or a particularly interesting guest player, sure, but otherwise just get great audio.

I don't know... from an archivist's perspective I believe the video is just as important, if not more so, to get video as it is to get audio.  As an appreciator of live footage, though, video is something I'm a strong believer in.  There's something about seeing a band interact with each other in a live setting.  There's also a visual aspect of a lot of musical performances that is absolutely necessary in order to get the message.  RE: XBXRX

Beginning of the show:

End of the show:

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »
i prefer video to see all the antics.  however, i think that good audio provides a much greater worth than shitty stealth video, or shitty video from tripod if it includes the following:

1.  the band is all white, but since the lighting is bad it looks like the lil' scrappy show i went to couple months ago.
2.  everytime somebody moves and turns - it looks like the Disney Light Show every night at Epcot.
3.  ass-atrocious audio that sounds so bad, my old Play Skool recorder out does it (btw, i loved that thing)
4.  its so bad and blurry that it makes my head hurt and reminds me of staring into a keilidoscope for 2 hours or so (sp. on the 'scope and the time depending on actually lenght of the show).

**i like video, but not shitty video -- if its shitty, its a waste of time!

Also, DMB pisses me off b/c if they are so worried about getting pimped on Ebay and being able to release LIVE @ Central Park professional quality.  they feel if some lil' guy sells it -- they will lose money.  bullshit!!

Their ticket prices are generally around $40-50 for the worse seat in the house.

They tour all year and their new stuff is sub-par at the most.

By looking at all this stuff, I concure that they are selfish bastards who make a shit ton of money.  The end. by me. period
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 10:19:55 PM »
no matter how gay the band might be and its narking fans.  This may be my last DMB show too. 

In light of this, why were you shooting video then?  Just to make yourself feel cool?  ::)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 08:49:15 AM »
Next time, just leave. They can not do anything to you - they will scare you, try to get information out of you, try to take a picture of you, try to take (steal) tapes- they can't do shit, just leave. Not to say I haven't made the same mistakes before but if I ever get nailed again there's no way I'm giving up my 7 dollar extra blank tapes plus most of the show so the fatass in front of the Starland Ballroom can enjoy a video. You don't actually think the band gets it? What actually shocks me is how the cop sided with them, technically videotaping a show is not illegal - all the venue has in its power to do is to make you stop or leave.

Depending on the circumstances, this is a lot easier said than done.  Some of the security guys think they are almighty and can do whatever they want to you (to include beating the shit out of you).  Sure ~ you might be able to actually press charges later on and make a big issue out of it.  But...

1.  You just got your ass beat.
2.  You have made your identity known to everyone - probably will even get your name and picture in the paper.  Good luck sneaking a cam into a local arena after that.

And in this case - as you said - the cops were on security's side.

I once almost got the shit beat out of me for sneaking into the GA section with a "borrowed" GA ticket.  Our group had two GA tickets and several non-GA tickets.  One person brought the two GA tickets up from the floor and one by one we all tried to get down to the GA section.  I can't remember how security figured it out, but they did and I just ran like hell.  They caught me and (one on each arm) and they were threatening to break my arms - and I've no doubt they would have if I hadn't begged for mercy.

Sometimes you just have to play along with the security assholes' game.

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 09:02:30 AM »
I've found asshole fans to be as, if not more annoying than security/managers/etc.  Seems they take it upon themselves to either annoy/report tapers, or hassle them for copies.

I love it when someone sitting near me "hassles" me for a copy.  The first thing I do is tell them that I'll gladly give them a copy - just provide me an email address.  And then I tell them, "It's really, really important that I don't get caught, or else you won't get a copy of the show.  So please be on the lookout for security and let me know if you see any coming because I need to concentrate on filming so I can get a nice shot."

I've had people go to great lengths to protect me after promising them a copy of the show.  One time a waitress saw me filming and immediately started heading for the secuity office.  A guy to whom I'd promised a copy of the show chased her down, bribed her with a $20, and a promised her nice tips for the rest of the night.  She gladly accepted.

Instead of looking upon them as adversaries - befriend them and make them your security guards.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 11:19:07 AM »
Bean!  ;D

I was not searched when I was busted but it would not have mattered. One cop did open my eyeglass case when looking in my small gear bag.

Did you take any pictures?  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47947.0

Freelunch you take the cake! :o  I am laughing so hard right now at the fact you took those shots!!!  Also they were threatening me with assault so I figured if I did go to jail they would search me.  If there is a next time I will take pictures!

gewang is right there was no way that I was running this time.   I have run before however, they got things figured out at the Wachovia pretty tight.  I had an entourage of security.

Sloan Simpson:  I dont need to do anything to feel cool..coolness exudes itself from my pores.  If you must know I was doing it because I like the rush of getting away with something I am not suppose to be doing.  Also, I know a lot of people dig DMB.

Mojomonkee:  I have not been fortunate as you to see one band member beat another on guitar however, it almost makes me want to retract my statement of quitting video.

Thanks to all of you for making me feel a little better about this situation!  Peace and dont get busted but if you do take pics like Freelunch... ;D

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »
Freelunch you take the cake! :o  I am laughing so hard right now at the fact you took those shots!!!  Also they were threatening me with assault so I figured if I did go to jail they would search me.  If there is a next time I will take pictures!

Thanks. After things cooled down and they asked me to let them take pics of my gear, I was thinking "oh man, I just gotta get pics of them taking pics of my stuff for ts!"

Hey, note the nbox in the pics!  That's Swanny's old nbox.  Gotta love gear with a *history*.

I have the audio of the bust. I have been waiting a suitable cooling off period so my posting isn't an "in their face".

Freelunch:  You have the audio too?  You just gotsta share that when you feel right about it...Your post started off my day right thanks brah!  When are we going to run those comps?  We should figure some times out at the beginning of the year.  I just bought a V2 as well to add into the mix...

Offline GNRArnold

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 12:56:50 PM »
Another thing I forgot to add is its always good to have somebody with you when stealth videotaping- not so much for looking out but if you do get caught, security is less likely to "beat you" since you have a witness with you.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 01:19:11 PM »
Sloan Simpson:  I dont need to do anything to feel cool..coolness exudes itself from my pores.  If you must know I was doing it because I like the rush of getting away with something I am not suppose to be doing.  Also, I know a lot of people dig DMB.

Well it's not like I was being nosey, you did post a thread about it.  Don't understand it, but hey.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 01:41:56 PM »

Well it's not like I was being nosey, you did post a thread about it.  Don't understand it, but hey.

i am quite misunderstood.  who said you were nosey.   ::)

i posted this to inform others of what may happen and to vent a bit. ;D

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 02:20:27 PM »
its just a concert dood.  who cares if they took your id and your picture.  do you really think that they're going to notice you next time you go to a concert at a venue that even holds a 1000 people.  just put your head down, wear a hat, and walk through.

why stop doing something thats fun because you got busted once?  next time you'll take the precautions not to get busted again.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 12:49:09 PM »
did they take the video tape? (maybe you said it and i missed it) if not lets convert what you have to dvd :)

its kinda shitty though when fans turn you in for stuff rather it be taping, smoking whatever

and don't worry about them having your info--they just wanted to check the fan club and keep tabs on you or whoever you got the tix from--since they are tm they can';t even do that
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:50:49 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

wilsondmb

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2005, 02:26:11 PM »
if there warehouse the person that got them will just get floor seats on an aisle forever and always have someone from the warehouse there waiting to checkout your shit..... :lol 

did you get to meet daryl....I hear he is the best  :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.176 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com