Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Extracting video/audio from a VIDEO_TS file/DVD help?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Extracting video/audio from a VIDEO_TS file/DVD help?
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:10:37 PM »
I am looking to rip the vid/audio from a great DVD i got from dimeadozen

it has a 25+ song setlist and is just one whole track and I'd like to track it out properly and then re-author it

any programs that do a decent job of this type of rip w/out loosing quality?

thanks braintrust  :-*

?>FR2LE

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re: Extracting video/audio from a VIDEO_TS file/DVD help?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »
what i do is use dvd lab to join and then extrac the .vob files to get an mpeg2 video + whatever audio was used.

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:09:42 PM »
I am looking to rip the vid/audio from a great DVD i got from dimeadozen

it has a 25+ song setlist and is just one whole track and I'd like to track it out properly and then re-author it

any programs that do a decent job of this type of rip w/out loosing quality?

thanks braintrust  :-*

i know that both DVDDecrypter and/or SmartRipper will do it. [useless factoid info alert!] the method you're describing is called "Stream Processing."

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 08:31:11 PM »
Here's a little mini-tutorial I made on how to convert a stand alone burned disk to a PC authored disk.

Using Smartripper 2.41 (check for newer version):

1. Throw the dvd that you want to demux into the drive and open SmartRipper 2.41.
2. You'll see a window open up as the program analyzes the dvd - bunch of text will go by (vob listings, etc.).
3. Change "target" at the bottom of the GUI to your target folder (best if it's an empty folder).
4. Rip method is "movie" (top left) which is the default.
5. Check "enable stream processing," (just above the green window) and pick which elementry streams you want to "demux." All three will be checked by default.
6. Check on the video NTSC, and then to the right of that under "ID=0xE0," check "Demux to extra file."
7. Check the .AC3 line, and then to the right of that under "ID=0xE0," check "Demux to extra file."
8. Click "start."

After SmartRipper is done ripping, go to the destination folder and look for the two elementry streams (.m2v and .ac3 files). There will be a bunch of other files in there, however, you will only need the .m2v and .ac3 files. They are easy to pick out because they are the two largest files (and have the longest names). Delete all the other files, and rename the .m2v and .ac3 files with the same name (but don't change the extension!).

If your authoring program doesn't accept elementary streams, you can mux the .m2v and .ac3 files into one mpeg2 file using TMPGenc - under MPEG Tools. Open TMPGenc, and close the opening window (project wizard), and then click file --> MPEG tools. It should be defaulted to "simple multiplex." Under "type" select "mpeg-2 program (VBR)." Select your video and audio input files (the .m2v and .ac3 files) and select and output file. Click on run, and in about 15-20 minutes, you should have an mpeg2 file that is ready to rock.

Actually, I don't use TMPGenc that much anymore because I find Womble MPEG Video Wizard (www.womble.com) is more useful, especially when there are audio/video synching issues (which is a fairly common problem).  And Womble also allows you to do simple edits (snip out unwanted stuff, add in fades, etc.).

You can put that mpeg2 in DVD Architect (or any other authoring program) and away you go.  You can also drop that mpeg back into Womble and make some short clips to use for motion menus - just find the clip you want, snip off the video before and after that clip and delete it, and save it under a new name.

If you have problems demuxing the video/audio from the DVD (pretty common problem), try a different drive.  If that doesn't work, try a different program (like DVD Decrypter).
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 10:36:27 PM »
thanks guys

getting to work on it now

+ts all around
?>FR2LE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com