Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mobile compact setup (SP-Pasm 2 replacement)  (Read 1483 times)

Offline delgado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mobile compact setup (SP-Pasm 2 replacement)
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »
Hi,

I am looking for a compact setup replacing the combined mic/Preamp Sp-PASM-2 from soudn professionals (Stolen). In the process, I would like to make amends to what I perceived as nuisances in that little box: 2 separate small mono mics, rather than the stereo pair built into the preamp bos, would allow for more precise postioning, and the preamp box, while it should be compact, could/should be physically separated from the mics.
Also, the SP-Pasm-2 had real problems with distortion in the bass field if calibrated to sufficient sensitivity for, say, chamber music - you need to pull down input sensitivity a lot to accomodate the lows w/out distorting.

1.Any small stealth setup that handles that better?
Or should I try just the SP preamp with other mics?

2.the preferred source material would be chamber music, but with occasional acoustic outbursts such as percussion, the odd electric instrument (bass/guit) and small jazz ensembles. What are the implications of this when choosing the high/low sensitivity options in the mics Sound Professionals offer?

Recording is into an NBJ3, but I do not need external A/D.

thanks for any pointers (I am investigating by myself already but would welcome any add. input/experience, as this seems to be quite a wide market)

Delgado

RebelRebel

Re: Mobile compact setup (SP-Pasm 2 replacement)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 12:15:21 PM »
the SP-CMC-2s, 4s, and 8s are all upgrades from that box. wife is a classical singer as am I so I used it for a bit(sp-pasm-2) ..one key thing is to make sure you have the low sens version as the high one will overload rather easily in an ultra dynamic situation. the ultimate stealth setup would be the DPA 4060/MMA 6000 setup, but it is around 1200 bucks or so. If you have the budget for that, it doesnt get much better. The SP-CMC series are very useable and will do nicely until you perhaps want to upgrade. if I were you I would get the cmc series with the omni charactaristic , and battery box with level control. Bass Rolloff is useless in a classical enviroment. SP-CMC-4s are used widely here.

(and dont forget to put taperssection in the coupon code area!)

Offline delgado

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »
Will check those out, your input is highly appreciated.

Delgado

Offline delgado

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 07:23:23 PM »
Just so I understand this correctly, the battery box in the setup you recommend replaces the preamp/ serves as such? Since the NBJ3 has no mic preamplification to speak of at the input stage, this question is crucial for me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com