Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?  (Read 54217 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2007, 08:08:24 PM »
I just scored a 55" Sony SXRD 1080p.  Not HDMI cable yet, but even the regular cable channels via coax look great....

Good choice.  If I were buying greater than 50" that is the set I would get.  Did you get the XBR2 or A2000?

I had been looking at the 50" version of this set for a while and about bought it through the sony family store a couple of weeks back (wife works for SE), but didnt act before they pulled it and replaced it with the new version.  Was at best buy this morning, just looking at tv's and they had the 50' SXRD 1080p A2000 for $1399.99.  Sick deal...got it home and just using OTA right now as I ordered another box from DTV for all the other channels and the picture is freaking fantastic...doesnt suffer from off angle like other sets I had looked at...extremely happy and at that price...tough not to be...

the new ones have a black casing, but beyond that appear to be the exact same set as the old ones (which have silver casing)...from what I hear, sony is coming out with a 50" SXRD XBR in the summer though...
Congrats on the new tv!  +T for getting one of the best sets I've seen recently.  Too bad you won't be able to watch the 'Canes in the playoffs this year  :o    JK  ok, so they are in 7th and in a close race.  You can always wat the Wings  ;D

I saw the SXRD XBR2 60" at Sears one day while the wife was shopping at New York & Co.  I wasn't that impressed with the 60" XBR2 when compared to the A2000.  Where was that A2000 deal at BB?  My buddy is looking for a set and that is a STEAL!  I did check out both the Sony and JVC at BB a few weeks ago and really liked the Sony.  I'm not even close to a new tv purchase as I'm really happy with my 720P front projection and the $800 32" Olevia LCD (crap for SD though).  I'll be waiting until we build a home in the next 5-7 yrs to upgrade as long as nothing blows up.  I really want a Pioneer plasma for the living room since the SED tv thing isn't going to work out.  Hopefully the BR/HD-DVD war will have been decided. 

Yeah the deal was at Best Buy...

I have complete faith that the Canes will make the postseason this year (and  if they dont, thats ok as the playoffs last year cost me a mint...a year off would hurt me as a fan, but help me in my pocketbook ;D)...and besides, I watch the entire NHL playoffs...easily one of my favorite times of year...

Honestly I didnt even look at the 60" SXRD, but I am guessing that it was marked down as well as the new ones are due in this week.  I looked at alot of TVs and honestly none of them imo came close to the SXRD in terms of pic quality and off axis viewing without jumping to another price bracket for LCD/Plasma.  And luckily the room that i have is pretty dark and as a result no real light effects on the picture...and honestly at the price of $1399.99...I had to buy the damn thing...hell, my 34" Sony widescreen tube cost me $250 more than that when I bought it!  And not to mention, this set weighs about 200 lbs less than the tube ;D

+T backatcha 

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »
I have been using my SXRD 55" A2000 with HDMI hook up for a few weeks now.  I watch more Discovery HD then I ever thought I would.  The picture is rediculously good....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I am now on the market for a new tube - my old one walked out the door on its own Sat night.

Saw best buy has the SXRD 60" A2000 for like 2K - I am gonna take a look tonight and see what things are like. I am leaning towards another LCD RPTV vs DLP though.. and I am not at all interested in Plasma or LCD cost/weight wise.

But, new tube. saweet.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2007, 08:05:16 PM »
Hey jhirte, we have opposite karma!  That equals like a viod in the universe of something.  Far Out!!!

;)
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2007, 08:23:25 PM »
I am now on the market for a new tube - my old one walked out the door on its own Sat night.

Saw best buy has the SXRD 60" A2000 for like 2K - I am gonna take a look tonight and see what things are like. I am leaning towards another LCD RPTV vs DLP though.. and I am not at all interested in Plasma or LCD cost/weight wise.

But, new tube. saweet.

SXRD isnt DLP....similar but actually a variant of LCOS technology

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

the result is less of an issue with off angle viewing imo and a better picture even with ambient light than DLP

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2007, 12:33:38 AM »

But, new tube. saweet.

SXRD isnt DLP....similar but actually a variant of LCOS technology

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcos.htm

the result is less of an issue with off angle viewing imo and a better picture even with ambient light than DLP

oh, I'm aware believe me :) I was meaning that I prefer LCD vs DLP ;) looked at the 60a2000 SXRD tonight.... mannnnnnn sooo nice. I am gonna look at a few more places tomorrow though, and will know more on the idea of time frame as to when(and what) my insurance is going to cover. So glad it was just a few things taken this time vs 90% of my recording gear like the last burglary (and I'm even in a WAY better neighborhood now!).

I wonder if I'll have some dough for a HD-DVD player.... hrmmmmm

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2007, 12:13:06 PM »
CarlZ and I picked up the Sony 60" A2020 last night (we each got one). freaking awesome! they really got the black levels on these down now.. my old Sony LCD RPTV had more of a dark grey vs black..  now I got black as black. saweet.
amazing how much bigger a 60" is than a 50".. in the store they look bigger dont get me wrong, but in the viewing position its just amazing to me.
new toys rule!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »
so my samsung 61" at 3 weeks old started to bit the shitter
the audio comes on and off my itself
then the tv started going on and off by itself
now everytime the audio cuts out and comes back on its not coming on as loud

circ\iut city has gave me the run around and finally this week, 5 weeks after the problem was 1st reported they are going to send someone to look at it
i am pissssssed to say the least
they fixed it
about damn time
ccity sucks on service
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline wilsonedits

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2008, 01:12:21 AM »
if you make native 24p dvds then the progressive scan 1080p is very benefical
P2 yo

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »
so my samsung 61" at 3 weeks old started to bit the shitter
the audio comes on and off my itself
then the tv started going on and off by itself
now everytime the audio cuts out and comes back on its not coming on as loud

circ\iut city has gave me the run around and finally this week, 5 weeks after the problem was 1st reported they are going to send someone to look at it
i am pissssssed to say the least
they fixed it
about damn time
ccity sucks on service
here we go again
so my sammy thats just over a yr old has bit the shitter again
CC as usual doesn't want to help much (never buy the cc advantage its nothing but a pain in the neck)

although i have had the same problem since this time last yr and they have come out to my house 7 times,
and flat out told me there are no more parts we can change, if it keeps happening we will give you a new tv,
guess what--no new tv they want to send someone out to look at it again

not sure i will ever buy a samsung again and i def will not buy the cc plan again
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:33 PM »
question about these 1080p panasonic plasmas

i have a 50 inch dlp from panasonic.  I bought it in september, 2004.  i'm feeding it the HDMI signal from an 8200HD dvr cable box, and the tv can be set to automatically stretch SD signals to full screen

my father has a 60 inch panasonic DLP he got in January, 2006 or 2007.  I forget when exactly

his tv CANNOT stretch the signal sent over HDMI.  you have to tell the cable box to do the stretching

do the new 1080p plasmas allow you to auto stretch hdmi input?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
bueller?

Offline Corporate hack

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
we're just starting to look at 1080p plasmas for when we move next- in august- if anyone has any advice please let me know!  We originally were thinking about going to a projector, but the issue of ambient light is too hard for us to deal with, so plasma it is. 

Offline Corporate hack

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »
got a question on 1080p plasma vs. lcd- here's the thing- I watch a LOT of CNBC and Bloomberg- meaning it's very likely that one of these will be on for about 2-3 hours a day when we move.  I'm worried about burn in- is that a reason to go one over the other?

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
question about these 1080p panasonic plasmas

i have a 50 inch dlp from panasonic.  I bought it in september, 2004.  i'm feeding it the HDMI signal from an 8200HD dvr cable box, and the tv can be set to automatically stretch SD signals to full screen

my father has a 60 inch panasonic DLP he got in January, 2006 or 2007.  I forget when exactly

his tv CANNOT stretch the signal sent over HDMI.  you have to tell the cable box to do the stretching

do the new 1080p plasmas allow you to auto stretch hdmi input?

My Pioneer 1080p plasma will stretch, zoom, etc. with the TV's remote. I could do this when I had cable via the cable remote as well. I have similar options with my Directv remote. I hope that helps. If not, let me know if you have any further questions.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com