Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?  (Read 54223 times)

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
got a question on 1080p plasma vs. lcd- here's the thing- I watch a LOT of CNBC and Bloomberg- meaning it's very likely that one of these will be on for about 2-3 hours a day when we move.  I'm worried about burn in- is that a reason to go one over the other?

I have an LCD and plasma. Plasma is the way to go imo. The picture is much better. I'm a news junkie too and sometimes worry about the burn-in. It's my understanding that plasmas have come a long way with the burn-in factor.

In regards to your post about projectors...the 1080p projectors are currently pretty expensive. I will go that route when the prices come down.   
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Corporate hack

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »
got a question on 1080p plasma vs. lcd- here's the thing- I watch a LOT of CNBC and Bloomberg- meaning it's very likely that one of these will be on for about 2-3 hours a day when we move.  I'm worried about burn in- is that a reason to go one over the other?

I have an LCD and plasma. Plasma is the way to go imo. The picture is much better. I'm a news junkie too and sometimes worry about the burn-in. It's my understanding that plasmas have come a long way with the burn-in factor.

In regards to your post about projectors...the 1080p projectors are currently pretty expensive. I will go that route when the prices come down.   
We can afford it, it's just the ambient light issue that we can't do.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
question about these 1080p panasonic plasmas

i have a 50 inch dlp from panasonic.  I bought it in september, 2004.  i'm feeding it the HDMI signal from an 8200HD dvr cable box, and the tv can be set to automatically stretch SD signals to full screen

my father has a 60 inch panasonic DLP he got in January, 2006 or 2007.  I forget when exactly

his tv CANNOT stretch the signal sent over HDMI.  you have to tell the cable box to do the stretching

do the new 1080p plasmas allow you to auto stretch hdmi input?

My Pioneer 1080p plasma will stretch, zoom, etc. with the TV's remote. I could do this when I had cable via the cable remote as well. I have similar options with my Directv remote. I hope that helps. If not, let me know if you have any further questions.

this is via hdmi in?

thanks

Offline StuStu

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2008, 10:19:23 AM »
Yes, I use the HDMI.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Brian

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
bueller?

just saw this...although i don't know if it will help, but my panasonic 1080p plasma can stretch SD channels.

however my 1080p is a 60fps tv and apparently that's not as "HD" or "cool" as 24fps ???  people say 1080p signals look jagged on those sets but i wouldn't know because my cable box only puts out 1080i and so does my HDDVD player.  considering toshiba quitting, i'm glad i went with the cheap player.  1080i looks just fine to me :)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2008, 12:17:01 PM »
anyone tried this TV?
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665153947

46" bravia XBR5.  any opinions?

guess i should figure out how to use tinyurl

mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
anyone tried this TV?
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665153947

46" bravia XBR5.  any opinions?

guess i should figure out how to use tinyurl

my dad has the 42" version of this tv from last year...fantastic tv

Offline Rusty M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Private Profits, Socialized Losses
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2008, 12:31:10 PM »
Have the Samsung 61" HLS-6188 DLP and its awesome for the living room.

Now I need something for the bedroom.  37" is about the biggest I can go in there.  I'm trying to find something affordable but nice.  It'll be hooked up to an hdtv dvr cable box and most likely another xbox360 for its streaming capabilities, that is unless the ps3 can stream divx/xvid/hd stuff over a network, then I might look into that.

I don't know where to start.  It seems LCD is the most popular in this size, are there even plasma made this small?  I don't know where to start really and I'm trying to avoid just buying on a whim.

any ideas?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline StuStu

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2008, 06:23:39 PM »

Now I need something for the bedroom.  37" is about the biggest I can go in there.  I'm trying to find something affordable but nice.  It'll be hooked up to an hdtv dvr cable box and most likely another xbox360 for its streaming capabilities, that is unless the ps3 can stream divx/xvid/hd stuff over a network, then I might look into that.

I don't know where to start.  It seems LCD is the most popular in this size, are there even plasma made this small?  I don't know where to start really and I'm trying to avoid just buying on a whim.

any ideas?

I think plasmas pretty much start at 42" and up. I use a 37" Sharp Aquos in the bedroom and have enjoyed it. It's not as great a picture as the plasma for HDTV or regular DirecTV, but I really enjoy it for watching dvd's. My LCD is hooked up to a DirecTV 1080p DVR. I'm in the process of buying a house and am thinking of buying another Sharp LCD (26"-32") for the home office.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2008, 06:34:37 PM »
You can get 37" plasmas - a friend of mine has one. I believe that's the smallest they go.

any ideas?

I think plasmas pretty much start at 42" and up. I use a 37" Sharp Aquos in the bedroom and have enjoyed it. It's not as great a picture as the plasma for HDTV or regular DirecTV, but I really enjoy it for watching dvd's. My LCD is hooked up to a DirecTV 1080p DVR. I'm in the process of buying a house and am thinking of buying another Sharp LCD (26"-32") for the home office.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2008, 07:04:53 PM »
I need to look at the aquos and read more reviews on those.  I also considered a visio from costco as they're quite cheap.

I know 1080p really doesn't matter at this size so much, but it seems like those are just as common as anything today so I wouldn't mind going that route.

John, what brand is your friends 37" plasma?  and does he like it?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline StuStu

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »
I need to look at the aquos and read more reviews on those.  I also considered a visio from costco as they're quite cheap.

I know 1080p really doesn't matter at this size so much, but it seems like those are just as common as anything today so I wouldn't mind going that route.

John, what brand is your friends 37" plasma?  and does he like it?

Yes, I'd love to know as well. I'd much prefer to a 37" plasma if it's reasonable. Another question is how old is his plasma? I recall 37" plasmas being available a few years back, but am unaware if they're still available new. I hope so; I might be inclined to fork up the extra scratch and have a 37" plasma in the bedroom and the lcd in the computer room. Thanks!

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »
He has a Pansonic TH37PX60U and loves it, although I don't think it's made anymore.  I believe they still make the TH-37PH10UK, though.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
Thanks John, I'll have to look more into that. +t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com