Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?  (Read 54228 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: anyone purchased a 1080p HDTV yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »

my panasonic dlp isn't 1080p and doesn't have any of the problems nick has described

does it broadcast in the native format?  As an example,  I have my TV set to broadcast at whatever signal is fed to it...480p, 720p, 1080i...only time I have seen the macroblocking issue is on things like diving in 1080i...supposedly the progressive interface fixes it at higher resolutions

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 09:04:05 AM »
my cable box pushes through whatever is fed (480i,480p, 720p, 1080i) and the tv seems to handle it all

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 09:06:11 AM »
my cable box pushes through whatever is fed (480i,480p, 720p, 1080i) and the tv seems to handle it all

yeah, mine as well.  The macroblocking problem usually isnt an issue because alot of teh HD sports are broadcast at 720p...for the summer olympics, NBC used a 1080i feed and the amount of activity happening (i.e. diving) at 1080i caused macroblocking.  Fox sports has actually standardized at least for the time being at 720p for all HD broadcasts to avoid the issue

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »
i didn't see it in the diving.  Universal HD is still broadcasting some summer olympics sometimes so i'll check it out when/if it comes back on

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 09:42:33 AM »
i didn't see it in the diving.  Universal HD is still broadcasting some summer olympics sometimes so i'll check it out when/if it comes back on

when you do see if there is a way to tell what resolution they are broadcasting in.  I noticed last time there was some summer olymics rebroadcast, my DTV receiver showed that it was broadcasting in 720p

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 02:17:48 PM »
i actually noticed macroblocking in the winter olympics last month as well, especially in skiiing events at the bottom of the hill.  as the camera panned a skier finishing his run the background was macroblocked to hell...also noticed it a few times on speedskating.  this was witnessed and confirmed on more than one hi-def tv in my area (i.e. two pals who also have HD).  was it a regional thing related to the feed?  who knows.  ???

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 05:32:08 AM »
any idea what kind of life span a DLP set has?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 03:48:16 PM »
1080p is all hype people (at least right now). No one broadcasts in 1080p period. Which means all your TV is doing is deinterlacing it for you, which pretty much every flat panel fixed-pixel display has to do anyway to display a progressive image (because they are PROGRESSIVE displays!). Now, the exception to that last point might be if you one a CRT display that can render 1080i, then it won't need to deinterlace it to display it, but if you own an LCD or Plasma or DLP or rear projection LCD, then every freakin' signal you ever pass to the TV will have to be deinterlaced because the monitor is progressive scan. There pretty much is no such thing as a 1080p source, so the only thing you might be getting is a better deinterlacing or scaling chip in your TV to take 720p up to 1080p (scaling only) or 1080i to 1080p (deinterlacing). Other than that what's the benefit?

Also, the macro blocking thing can happen anywhere in the chain, and is most often a BANDWIDTH issue. You can bet your ass those $100K pro HD cameras don't macro block (they may show interlace tearing/combing if running at 1080i, but that is very different than the macro blocking thing). Usually, your cable provider is compressing the image to squeeze more bandwidth out of their lines, this can be observed by the fact that the same program might show macro blocking on Comcast but not via DirectTV. It all depends, but one thing is for sure, the macro blocking is coming down the pipe that way, your TV can't do anything about it. Now, when it comes to deinterlacers and scalers, the chips can and do make a huge difference, but that doesn't really manifest itself as macro blocking, it has more effect on horizontal combing/tearing (the deinterlacer) and edge sharpness/fuzziness (scaling). Maybe I'm wrong, but I know a fair amount about video and home theaters, and this is my opinion.

Finally, remember another thing folks, your fixed pixel displays have a NATIVE RESOLUTION of their own. Do you actually know what it is? I bet some might, but I bet others don't. Cause if you think your 1080i/p display actually has that many pixels, you might be surprised that it most likely doesn't. Just because it can display 1080i, doesn't mean it has that many pixels -- it won't. Take for example my LCD, it's native resolution is that of 720p (which is pretty rare to be spot on any HD format, but in my case it is). This means that even though it can play 1080i, in the background it's going to deinterlace (remember we are using progressive scan monitors for the most part not CRTs) and downscale (from 1080 to 720) just to display the image. Add into the equation that in many cases, the format changes several times, each time making things worse. They might be shooting 720p, then the cable company may be sending you 1080i, and then your TV will have to scale it to it's native resolution. It's worth finding out the native resolution of your TV, it might be an enlightening piece of info.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 10:57:32 PM »
i can see the blocking on lots of the tv at the store
i hate it
i say to myself for 2g+ i don't want that

does anyone here have verison fios TV? guy i know that works for them says it has over 200 HD channels
we don't have it in our area yet though
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 01:21:07 AM »
does anyone here have verison fios TV? guy i know that works for them says it has over 200 HD channels
we don't have it in our area yet though

I have some family that have FIOS in DC.  They have some crazy channels.  My uncle is ex-air force and spent many years in Japan and he watches some channel that is broadcast from japan and he loves it.  Apparently there are quite a few channels that come from other countries that he gets.  I didnt get a chance to scroll thru all the channels but there were quite a few that I dont get with my comcast digital cable.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 09:34:47 AM »
1080p is all hype people (at least right now). No one broadcasts in 1080p period. Which means all your TV is doing is deinterlacing it for you, which pretty much every flat panel fixed-pixel display has to do anyway to display a progressive image (because they are PROGRESSIVE displays!). Now, the exception to that last point might be if you one a CRT display that can render 1080i, then it won't need to deinterlace it to display it, but if you own an LCD or Plasma or DLP or rear projection LCD, then every freakin' signal you ever pass to the TV will have to be deinterlaced because the monitor is progressive scan. There pretty much is no such thing as a 1080p source, so the only thing you might be getting is a better deinterlacing or scaling chip in your TV to take 720p up to 1080p (scaling only) or 1080i to 1080p (deinterlacing). Other than that what's the benefit?

Also, the macro blocking thing can happen anywhere in the chain, and is most often a BANDWIDTH issue. You can bet your ass those $100K pro HD cameras don't macro block (they may show interlace tearing/combing if running at 1080i, but that is very different than the macro blocking thing). Usually, your cable provider is compressing the image to squeeze more bandwidth out of their lines, this can be observed by the fact that the same program might show macro blocking on Comcast but not via DirectTV. It all depends, but one thing is for sure, the macro blocking is coming down the pipe that way, your TV can't do anything about it. Now, when it comes to deinterlacers and scalers, the chips can and do make a huge difference, but that doesn't really manifest itself as macro blocking, it has more effect on horizontal combing/tearing (the deinterlacer) and edge sharpness/fuzziness (scaling). Maybe I'm wrong, but I know a fair amount about video and home theaters, and this is my opinion.

Finally, remember another thing folks, your fixed pixel displays have a NATIVE RESOLUTION of their own. Do you actually know what it is? I bet some might, but I bet others don't. Cause if you think your 1080i/p display actually has that many pixels, you might be surprised that it most likely doesn't. Just because it can display 1080i, doesn't mean it has that many pixels -- it won't. Take for example my LCD, it's native resolution is that of 720p (which is pretty rare to be spot on any HD format, but in my case it is). This means that even though it can play 1080i, in the background it's going to deinterlace (remember we are using progressive scan monitors for the most part not CRTs) and downscale (from 1080 to 720) just to display the image. Add into the equation that in many cases, the format changes several times, each time making things worse. They might be shooting 720p, then the cable company may be sending you 1080i, and then your TV will have to scale it to it's native resolution. It's worth finding out the native resolution of your TV, it might be an enlightening piece of info.

Also remember that 1080p is pretty much useless unless you have the proper viewing conditions.  Check out this site that explains the viewing distance vs screen size with regards to video resolution:
http://www.carltonbale.com/blog/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »
1080p really isn't a benefit unless you have a screen og 50" or bigger. Right now its good for 2 things, HD-DVD and Blue-ray movies. The PS3 and Xbox360 both do 1080p, but no games use it yet. Won't see it in TV either, not enough bandwidth yet. I got a 50" Samsung 1080p DLP set to future proof myself and because I love HD-DVD movies.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 11:24:53 PM »
1080p really isn't a benefit unless you have a screen og 50" or bigger. Right now its good for 2 things, HD-DVD and Blue-ray movies. The PS3 and Xbox360 both do 1080p, but no games use it yet. Won't see it in TV either, not enough bandwidth yet. I got a 50" Samsung 1080p DLP set to future proof myself and because I love HD-DVD movies.

how much did that set you back?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 07:47:26 AM »

Even with a 50" set you'd have to be within about 6 feet of the TV to be able to see the full benefit of 1080p.  And you wouldn't even start to notice a difference between 1080p and 720p until you get within 8 feet. 

Check that link I posted right above you - it has a cool picture that explains it easily. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 03:46:27 PM »
I watched the mmj okonokos dvd last night, on the new 1080p oppo upconverting dvd player > hdmi > samsung 61" 1080p tv last night.  You could tell that it was being upconverted, but the color was unfuckingbelievable!!!

I took pictures of my setup, I'll post them later.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com