Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running AT853s / AT831s open - microphone technique?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Running AT853s / AT831s open - microphone technique?
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:23:55 AM »
OK, so I've been stealthing for a few years, but very occasionally run open, when the opportunity arises.

My microphone technique needs tightening up - mostly I run "WTF", I guess modified DIN, pointing the mics towards the stacks at an angle of around 60-70°, distance of 30cm or so.

Some of the time I'm happy, but mostly I'm finding I get too much stereo separation. At a solo acoustic gig the other day, the sound guy ran most of the guitar in the left monitor, with vocals in the right, which is how it appears on my recording. The same happened at a rock gig recently, vocals too much to one side. I generally balance this up the best I can in post.

Been searching on here for a while, and a couple of people have said run XY. Is that best for small mics?

Mostly I tape heavy rock in small clubs, 3-10m from stage. I use Cardioid mics, or occasionally Hypers (but only for stealth in arenas). As I have two rigs, I can experiment at the next gig...

Any thoughts most welcome.

Cheers,

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Diamond_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
Re: Running AT853s / AT831s open - microphone technique?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:57:53 AM »
I was very happy running my 853's XY in rock clubs, tightened up the bass response a little bit. You can also try decreasing the spacing and doing a "proper" DIN, 20 cm 90 degrees I believe. Though I always do it by eye, there is a science to it and there's a reason they use those specific measurements...
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:03:07 PM »
I mostly use the 853 cards DIN. When the room is boomy I like hypers DIN...I don't mess with DINa...if I wanted to change anything I might narrow the included angle a tiny bit and keep the same spacing, but almost always just run straight DIN with either pattern. If it is a really nice sounding room I like the cards NOS or ORTF. Outdoors I try to split the omnis ~3'+ if possible; a good idea if it's really windy...also I like the cards DIN outdoors if it's medium windy or less. I've also (unconventionally) run omnis NOS outdoors and onstage with good results.

I've yet to run them XY...I don't know why, I just haven't. In fact I would like to try the cards outdoors at a wide angle like XY 120˚

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses, guys, +t.

I wonder how XY and DIN will compare when I play them back on my stereo?

I'll probably experiment at the next gig and run the two rigs - AT831s and AT853s are close enough (though not identical) in sound to get a decent comparison.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com