Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 82835 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 07:48:22 PM »
RE: the canon lenses, there is a 1.6X relationship between EF and EF-S lenses:
http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

That's not stated quite right, close, but it's more accurate to say that the EF-S lenses are for use with 1.6x crop digital bodies only (XT, XTi, 30d, 20d), and the EF lens can be used on any crop or full frame digital or film bodies (any canon body that is).
Absolutely true and much better stated.

It should also be said that a 28-200mm EF zoom is effectively a 48-320mm (1.6X) on a Canon Digital
Use this chart and the APS-C focal length equivalencies to find a len's effective size on a digital.
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/lens/EFLensChart.pdf

The CCDs on Canon digitals are APS sized.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:52:12 PM by _bob_ »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »
It should also be said that a 28-200mm EF zoom is effectively a 48-320mm (1.6X) on a Canon Digital

Two comments. One, it depends on your body b/c all canon dslr's are not 1.6x cropped. Take the 5D for example, it's full frame. Second, one thing to keep in mind about the cropping 1.6x is that although in your example you do end up with more like a 48-320mm field of view, you still get the perspective of a 28-200mm lens (it's just cropped and zoomed in) -- this gets lost in some discussions and can be important especially down in the super-wide department. On a rebel, you need that 28mm lens to get your normal 50mm field of view, but your still stuck with the fact that your working with a 28mm lens (and all of the problems that can come with wide angles, like bending of the image, etc.).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »
Don't all nikons have 1.3x crop, or something like that.

I would go canon over nikon if you plan on doing concert type photography as canon's handle digital noise at higher ISO's much better than nikons.  I've pushed my canon to ISO1600 and 3200 and still manage to get good results most times.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

BobW

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 10:24:05 PM »
All I can say about Canon, is that when you have 25 French Nuns and an Orchid room together for once in your career and you turn your command dial and it comes off in your hands, don't say that I never said that it happened to me.

Technology is swell, but reliability is important.
Canon's customer service was not satisfactory to me, and the fact that the command dial issues are well known and documented seems to matter not one bit to them.
In fact, they were defensive and  nasty  when I mentioned it.
The folks whom I spoke to on the phone lied about what I was to expect at the service center.

The D5 full CCD is interesting, but the fact that the camera has no enviromental seals makes it a non-contender to me at it's price-point.
I think that it is the only full-frame that they have out to date.
Certainly more full-frames to come.

To revisit the 1.6X issue, one last time, if I can...for clarity, the framed image that you see is 1.6x smaller, however magnification remains the same.
Because we compose by field of view, rather than magnification, FOV is considered the more critical element.

Has anyone used a CMOS-based camera, like the Sigma?
It was a hot contender for me, but I really liked one of my Tamron lenses, and wanted to keep my options open. I saw the Sigma as more limited on lens choices.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:30:29 PM by _bob_ »

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
Late update:

I wound up getting an excellent price on a Rebel XT, which I've been using with the kit zoom from my 9 year old film Elan and my ooolldddd 70-210 EF (preUSM!) zoom.  Of course, 2 months of playing around with it, and I've realised I want some new glass for it too, because these lenses are way too soft when they're opened up, so I'm in the process of acquiring a Tamron 24-135. We'll see how I like it once it's arrived.

In the meantime, I love the camera. As I posted in here at the time, I got a bad unit initially (and props to Beach Camera for sorting it out with no problems at all - an excellent retailer) but the 2nd one they sent out was fine and I have FINALLY had time to play around with it. And LOVE it. It is really a joy to use. I initially felt it was a bit small in the hand to hold comfortably (the Elan is wider) but now that I'm used to it I love it.  It doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the Elan - I must confess I DO miss the thumbwheel - but really, it's nothing I can't do manually... more to do with me being lazy than anything else! Colours and lightmeter are excellent, so I'm a happy camper.  I'll be very interested to see how it performs with a lens known for a better sharpness.

Anyway, just one (very amateur) user's opinion. Quality control seems a bit random (is it me, or does this seem to be getting worse and worse as electronics become more a part of normal life?) but once you've got your hands on a decent unit, you're good. Excellent consumer-level SLR. 

Edited to add:  not concert pix (yet!) but one of the kid... I like the color saturation.  WOuld have been even better if I'd been using fill-flash, but there ya go.... :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:41:04 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 11:46:58 PM »
Late update:

I wound up getting an excellent price on a Rebel XT, which I've been using with the kit zoom from my 9 year old film Elan and my ooolldddd 70-210 EF (preUSM!) zoom.  Of course, 2 months of playing around with it, and I've realised I want some new glass for it too, because these lenses are way too soft when they're opened up, so I'm in the process of acquiring a Tamron 24-135. We'll see how I like it once it's arrived.
In the meantime, I love the camera. As I posted in here at the time, I got a bad unit initially (and props to Beach Camera for sorting it out with no problems at all - an excellent retailer) but the 2nd one they sent out was fine and I have FINALLY had time to play around with it. And LOVE it. It is really a joy to use. I initially felt it was a bit small in the hand to hold comfortably (the Elan is wider) but now that I'm used to it I love it.  It doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the Elan - I must confess I DO miss the thumbwheel - but really, it's nothing I can't do manually... more to do with me being lazy than anything else! Colours and lightmeter are excellent, so I'm a happy camper.  I'll be very interested to see how it performs with a lens known for a better sharpness.
Anyway, just one (very amateur) user's opinion. Quality control seems a bit random (is it me, or does this seem to be getting worse and worse as electronics become more a part of normal life?) but once you've got your hands on a decent unit, you're good. Excellent consumer-level SLR. 
Edited to add:  not concert pix (yet!) but one of the kid... I like the color saturation.  WOuld have been even better if I'd been using fill-flash, but there ya go.... :)

+t

I too have recently acquired a Canon dslr.  So far Im liking it.  A rebel xti, along with the 10-22m efs lens, is producing some pretty cool stuff!   :D

edit:  along with the 10-22mm, I also picked up the 'thrifty fifty' (50mm f/1.8 ) and Im liking both aside from the kit lens.. hmm..  the only addition I'd like to make for now is the Canon EF 135mm f/2L for some nice lowlight show pics..  then I'd be set for a *while*...   :bigsmile:   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:32:05 AM by eric.B »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »
I want that 10-22mm lens!

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »

another 10-22mm shot..  this is Cambell's Field where the Camden River Sharks play..  The ballpark sits right below the Ben Franklin Bridge on the Jersey side.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline J

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »
I've got the original Rebel, it's a great camera line, I think.  Every time I feel the need to upgrade the body, I keep getting more glass.  30kish clicks on her, and all is well, although the focusing screen seems to have attracted a touch of lint...

j
True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

stirinthesauce

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
diggin my xt

Here are a few I shot the other day with the kit lens, 18-55 that came with it.  Not a bad lens for daytime shooting.

Offline J

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 12:39:52 AM »
yep- the 18-55 ain't bad with good lighting.  For my walkaround lens I usually have the Tamron 28-75 2.8 which I like a lot too.  'Course it doesnt go nearly as wide as the 18-55...
True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 11:14:39 AM »
Man, you guys are making me jealous.  I really need to get out and take some pictures.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »
Just checking in.  Loving my 50mm f1.8 lens.  The 18-55mm stock one not so much.  What lens performs like the 50/1.8 but can zoom?   I feel a bit limited at times with the 50.  Daylight shows the 18-55 works great but those are few and far between.  Any ideas?  No real budget.  Low end...high end.  Tell me about em all.  :0)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 01:36:31 PM »
Man, you guys are making me jealous.  I really need to get out and take some pictures.

I'm kinda lucky in where I live for photography.  Natural beauty abounds.  Scenic vistas, natural formations, historic homes/communties, beautiful old college (Univ. of the South), waterfalls, gorges, all kinds of stuff.  Course I live in the middle of nowhere  :P 

Tapermark, love the 50 1.8 as well for concert shooting but I too feel a bit limited.  Of course, all my money is going into other gear at the moment so nice, fast zoom glass is not option.  I may go for a fixed 85mm though to give me some more distance capabilties.  Luckily, most clubs I can get stage lip so I will be fine.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 01:46:13 PM »
I also have the 50 but I have the USM 1.4  and love it for low light although single focal length does take some getting used too.

I just purchased a 28-135 IS USM and man this is the lens of all lenses for all around use and price.

The IS allows me to use it in lower light situations and I get all types of focal lengths. It does run around $400 though. I will get rid of the 18-55 now that I have this.

My locker now includes
50 1.4 USM
28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM
70-300 3.5-5.6 EF
18-55  stock lens EF

Starting to feel like a photo junky along with my recording gear.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com