Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bit of a n00b question about X/Y on stage (bit of SKB content)  (Read 1485 times)

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
so i was listening to some on stage SKB tapes and had a thought.  if you have the mics X/Y would it reverse the image?  like for SKB it is kimock stage left (at least a few years ago) and mitch stage right with drums and bass in the middle.  well if you run X/Y would you then hear kimock through the right side and mitch through the left?
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Bit of a n00b question about X/Y on stage (bit of SKB content)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:44:14 AM »
To me, the recording is supposed to mimic what I hear. If Steve is stage left (aud right), then I should hear him in the right side, regardless of what pattern I use. XY doesn't change the image. The mic POINTING right is the right channel.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
Re: Bit of a n00b question about X/Y on stage (bit of SKB content)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:32:46 AM »
what Mark said, keep the left channel positioned to the left side of the stage, and so forth, otherwise it will seem as though you have accidentally reversed your cabling (not recommended, don't ask.); as for XY, may people use it for on stage or near stage recording, but I do not care for it, and always use DIN for a small stage or more commonly ORTF to consistently fantastic results

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com