Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Proof that Church Audio mics are freaking awesome!!!!  (Read 21406 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Proof that Church Audio mics are freaking awesome!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 03:23:15 PM »
Richard, if you run baffled omnis (J-disk or similar), you're going to like the omnis even better.  Beyond the accurate, flat frequency response you get from omnis, when you run them in a properly baffled configuration,  the acoustic delay between the mics will be similar to the delay you get between your own ears.  The result is a recording that sounds good over speakers or over headphones.  ORTF or DIN-A cardioids will do that too, but you get more coloration with the directional mics than you do with baffled omnis.  Moke has some good examples if you search for "baffled omnis".

I usually run them with my head as a baffle :).  I've been running Sennhesier MKE2 (omni) a lot in this configuation and like it a lot.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »
The MKE40 has something that Church and AT don't have:

SILK

The AT's and Church's sound damn similar.  The AT's are slightly more detailed, but churches mics remind me of analog warmth...
Both great products.  AT's had a leg up with the modular capsule system, but it seems Chucrch is all over that.  Now he just needs a Sub-Card cap, a mini-shotgun and a figure 8!   Woot!
Pretty sure the ca mics have modular caps.  Chris just released his omni...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »
Richard, if you run baffled omnis (J-disk or similar), you're going to like the omnis even better.  Beyond the accurate, flat frequency response you get from omnis, when you run them in a properly baffled configuration,  the acoustic delay between the mics will be similar to the delay you get between your own ears.  The result is a recording that sounds good over speakers or over headphones.  ORTF or DIN-A cardioids will do that too, but you get more coloration with the directional mics than you do with baffled omnis.  Moke has some good examples if you search for "baffled omnis".

I usually run them with my head as a baffle :).  I've been running Sennhesier MKE2 (omni) a lot in this configuation and like it a lot.

Richard

Oh heck yes.  When you use your head as a baffle, mounting the omnis near your ears, the resulting recording will put you "right there" again when you listen to it on headphones.  The spacial realism will be absolutely stunning.  I've run quite a few recordings like that and I'll hear my wife's voice at times on the recording.  It never fails to trick me into thinking she's there.  I often end up pulling my headphones off and make sure that she's not actually there.  She gets irritated with me when she's trying to talk to me and I'm not hearing her because I'm listening to a show recording on my headphones. ;)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 05:57:18 PM »

Richard

Oh heck yes.  When you use your head as a baffle, mounting the omnis near your ears, the resulting recording will put you "right there" again when you listen to it on headphones.  The spacial realism will be absolutely stunning.  I've run quite a few recordings like that and I'll hear my wife's voice at times on the recording.  It never fails to trick me into thinking she's there.  I often end up pulling my headphones off and make sure that she's not actually there.  She gets irritated with me when she's trying to talk to me and I'm not hearing her because I'm listening to a show recording on my headphones. ;)

So true! So does mine. T+
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 06:15:17 PM »
My wife gets irritated with me for breathing.  ;D

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 05:36:01 AM »
My wife, bless her to pieces, always goes and buys beers for me when I have to stay glued to my mic stand. :D

Back on topic, though: I recently recorded a festival show with a mini-disc and a pair of Church Audio pro-binaural mics, and the fellow sitting right next to me was recording with Peluso CEMC-6 CK21 > Hydra Silvers.  Later, when comparing his recording to mine, they were nearly identical, except I swear mine has more clarity in the mids.  I've actually compared a lot of my recording with the binaurals to other people's recordings of the same shows, and despite some of the amazing (and expensive) gear they might have used, I haven't heard any mics I like better than these.  Funny thing is, I had been researching a lot of mics before I bought these, and prior to discovering them, I was all set to drop several hundred dollars on more well-known mics.  In the past few years, I've been giving a lot of tapers the online links to Church Audio mics, and many of these folks have actually bought them, and they tell me they absolutely love 'em.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
I love my AT853 and all of the MANY other electret mics I have owned, but there is significant improvment when moving to a true condensor IMO.  This is esspecially true when not located in the perfect location.  A true condensor is more forgiving. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »
Even further proof:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508303

This is one hell of a recording.  Sounds like the wind was a little heavy, but the mics really shine on this occasion. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:15:28 PM by stantheman1976 »

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2007, 04:13:59 PM »
WOW! This IS a Helluva recording, Stan! I'm very impressed, whoever the tape is! I only hope I can make my rig work this good since I'll have the same set-up as far as mics>pre>recorder goes. Always wanted to hear Los Lonely Boys anyway. They rock! rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »
The big difference you will notice will be listening to them on headphones.  The schoeps or my favorite DPA tend to really show there difference through headphones, a much brighter richer sound

an auditory equivalent to a primary color

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2007, 06:13:27 PM »
You're probably right, but not everybody can afford those mics! I certainly can't, or at least, can't justify the expense! I'll settle for the CA cards for the time being!  rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline Sami Ollas

• Taperssection Regular
    • My trading site
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2007, 09:44:55 AM »
Even further proof:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508303

This is one hell of a recording.  Sounds like the was was a little heavy, but the mics really shine on this occasion. 

Now that's a nice one, just finished listening to it. Makes me even more anxious in getting the package from Chris and testing these out myself :)
Main Rig: Church Audio STC-11 Cardioid Mics > ST-9100 > Edirol R-09
Backup Rig: Microphone Madness MM-MCSM-4 > MM-EBM-1 > Sony MZ-NH600

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »
Interesting to note those were spaced 3' apart @ 80' back.  Kind of reiterates the "sweet spot" thing.  Under the right conditions any decent rig can shine.  Under the wrong conditions any rig can suck.

Offline theSeekerr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »
Just had a listen - to my critical ear, the Schoeps have a lot more detail in the mid-highs, around 3kHz up to 8kHz. Both recordings have too much bass - levels are better on the Church, but while "true" bass is clear, top bass (around 250-300 Hz) seems a little muddy. Overall, the Churches are coloured far warmer.

Basically, to me, they sound completely different. But I'm a sound tech, it's my job to listen for these things. On the whole, the Church mics still sound 90% as good, which is a hell of a good job for the price! They just don't sound all that similar to me.

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »
enjoyed reading this thread!!!  that Los Lonely Boys sounds incredible, I love it. 
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com