Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: the Healy Method???  (Read 23576 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: the Healy Method???
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 02:45:40 PM »
when you start spacing the caps further, you want to start bringing the angle in from 180*

extendeding on the post above that I quoted from Hartkopf's page, first column is spacing in centemeters, second is angle from the soundsource.

from http://web.archive.org/web/20050314085929/members.aol.com/mihartkopf/lexicon.htm

17 180.0
20 116.4
25 85.7
30 69.0
35 58.1
40 50.3
45 44.4
50 39.8
60 32.9
70 28.1
80 24.5
90 21.8
100 19.6

of course this is all theory, do what sounds best to you  in the applications you use. ;)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
I made some recordings this summer using the Healey method using 36" spacing and also using 14" spacing. Ran at 8' FOB about 60' from the stage. Those recordings smoked other recordings from the same festival using Card or Hyper. Overall, I think when the PA system is strong enough, I will utilize the Omni setting every time. One thing I was worried about was the crowd noise and luckily, there weren't too many people around us.

I guess this would be split omnis. Hell that was the first time I had every used them. Either way, I was really happy with the recording whatever it was called. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 03:13:55 PM »
From the Oade board: The Streicher - Healy Method 

There are two more interesting coincident techniques we would like to cover.

One developed by Ron Streicher as a soloist pickup, uses omnidirectional microphones, which exhibit some directional characteristics at higher frequencies. This technique used with an included angle between 60 and 90 degrees yields a very stable center image with a good sense of space. The use of a pressure transducer (omnidirectional microphone) eliminates the pops and breath blasting problems associated with pressure gradient (directional microphones).

A variation of this technique, developed by Mr. Dan Healy, the living GOD of live sound, and a convenient segue into our next topic, is the near coincident 180 degree omnidirectional microphone method. Here a pair of omnidirectional microphones are placed approximately ear distance apart and oriented at 90 to the sound source, facing outward.

While the Streicher technique is suited only to close sound sources or binaural playback (headphone listening) the Healy method produces a recording suitable for playback on stereo speakers as well as headphones. We did some of these at the Greek Theater, they are labeled as "critically spaced omnis", enjoy !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never tried either of these methods, but those Greek recordings are the best I've ever heard. I've always been to chicken to run omnis, either in the above configs or spaced. Although if I ever make it back to Red Rocks or any similar outdoor venue, it will be omnis.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:15:27 PM by ts »

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 03:18:48 PM »
I never tried either of these methods, but those Greek recordings are the best I've ever heard. I've always been to chicken to run omnis, either in the above configs or spaced. Although if I ever make it back to Red Rocks or any similar outdoor venue, it will be omnis.

Do eeeeet!  Seriously, if you're at a loud outdoor show or if your on stage at a quiet show, you'll love the results.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
I really should. I've always had omni caps, going back 27 years and never used them as a pair. :o. I have used an omni cap for a center blend quite a few times though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:26:57 PM by ts »

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
I really should. I've always had omni caps, going back 27 years and never used them. :o

Holy crap!  We may rule you ineligible to use them after all this time!!!  That's like an intentional foul!   ;)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »
I prefer Healy (and by that I mean ~8" spaced 180 deg) up close or on-stage.  From farther back I almost always prefer a bigger split with the mics facing forwards.  I won't go so far as to generalize and say closer always=narrower though, since I also like to use larger A-B splits at stagelip.  

I think it has alot to do with the high end directionality of the mics and also with the frequency balance of the sound and the venue.  I find my TL's work better for Healy than the 4060's.  The large diaphragm TL's are obviously much more directional at the top than the 4060's, which are so small that they're pretty much omnidirectional to up near dog whistle freq's.  I do hear some very high freq directionality with them, but used that close together, you just don't get much kHz range stereo separation without a using a baffle.  I tried various spacings with the 4060's from further back FOB at outdoor 'fests and found I usually end up around 36"-48" when adjusting the spacing and monitoring through 'phones at typical FOB distances to the stage.

I notice two things when varying the spacing from back there: 1) change of overall tone. Usually I find wider seems to emphasize the low end and narrower emphasises the treble, but that may only seem that way because.. 2) the spacing strongly effects the frequency range of the stereo separation. wider = more stereo separation at lower frequencies, closer = separation only at higher frequencies.  With more stereo in the midrange and the mid-bass the bass sounds 'better' to me.

I know adjusting the spacing will also manipulate the stereo recording angle (cue boojum to reference the Stereo Zoom paper) but I'm standing in one spot adjusting mic spacing, not moving my stand forwards and backwards to hear the effect of the change of recording angle, so perhaps I'm listening both to the stereo separation and the recording angle when making the spacing adjustment.

If I was somewhere up front between the board and stagelip and had the opportunity to listen while adjusting the spacing, perhaps I'd end up with a narrower spread.

The only real generalization I can make is that when using more directional omnis, I'd tend to point the mics more forward as I move them farther apart - and conversely rotate them towards Healy's 180 degrees as I approached head-width spacing.  The idea being that the increased HF directionality compensates for the reduced spacing.

(lots of posts since I started this reply and got caught in a meeting.. that last paragraph is basically agreeing with stirinthesauce.. in any case omni's absolutely rock outdoors, there is no need to fear! it's indoors where they get tricky IMO)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »
really, that's pretty cool, but I don't see that as a good idea back 6 feet in a bar type venue, but on stage I can see, perhaps not stage lip, but actually on stage, definately. Thanks for the knowledge drop.

Carl

What did you think of the recording?  I am assuming this is mine as you quoted my text file (and I think you also like tND and their side projects).  I think it came out just OK, I can't wait to compare w/ JAson who ran MG m200s DIN.  I will definately run it from there again, I just might bribe JAson into increasing the hight of the stand so the chatter is cut a bit.  All in all, I love the m270s and this is the only config that will work at this venue (The Paradise in Boston)
For those that want to check it out:
http://www.archive.org/details/tnd2007-12-27.healy
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

Offline bhtoque

• So much music, so little time.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 01:38:58 AM »
I've been meaning to check in with you on that. Sounds better than I thought it would, but I've never gotten good results with Healy.

There's not that much less chatter on my tapes. Your buddy was wasted, and you can hear him in a couple spots  :P
My recording has more energy, seems more punchy for lack of a better word.

If you want the raw files to track and seed, send me your addy and I'll toss a couple dvd's in the mail along with those New Deal shows we were talking about.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
This sounds intriguing. I'm always wanting to use my omni caps but I'm never able to setup a proper split. I'll have to try it sometime. How does one go about mounting mics for this? Does anyone have any pictures of this setup?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 03:33:10 PM by Gizby »
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
This sounds intriguing. I'm always wanting to use my omni caps but I'm never able to setup a proper split. I'll have to try it sometime. How does one go about mounting mics for this? Does anyone have any pictures of this setup?

Here's a shot of me (in hat) running Healy (with dead rats) at 10KLF 2006.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »
Ah, okay. I was thinking that perhaps I could use the supplied OKtava mounts on my A27M vertbar and just run my mics one right over the other, but that only gives me a 7 inch split at most. Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of mount setup do you have going there? Looks like RA XLR and shockmounts attached to some kind of bar.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »
Ah, okay. I was thinking that perhaps I could use the supplied OKtava mounts on my A27M vertbar and just run my mics one right over the other, but that only gives me a 7 inch split at most. Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of mount setup do you have going there? Looks like RA XLR and shockmounts attached to some kind of bar.

Just a t-bar.  That's correct on the RA XLR's & shocks.

A 7 inch split will be acceptable here, at least for you to try it out.  Some people's heads are skinnier than others, and the ears still work, so I'd give it a shot.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 06:16:57 PM »

Just a t-bar.  That's correct on the RA XLR's & shocks.

A 7 inch split will be acceptable here, at least for you to try it out.  Some people's heads are skinnier than others, and the ears still work, so I'd give it a shot.

Which leads to.... measure the spacing on your own noggin for your attempt and then listen back on your favorite headphones!!  ;D

Looks like I'll be shopping for the CK62's this spring.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline ingsy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »

i use a vert bar it, it works for me - here is an attempt FOB at Camp Bisco, too much crowd chatter here though

Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com