Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: the Healy Method???  (Read 23390 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: the Healy Method???
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »
Sure, 'OK' is in the ear of the listener. You might like 10" better. Listening with the phones is just a way of dialing it in right there at the venue instead of trying various spacings over the course of several recordings to see what works well.  It's a big time saver if you care to play around with the spacing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »
try the Shure A27M to align the 480s on the same vertical plane

or try to find some AKG a61 swivels

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »
try the Shure A27M to align the 480s on the same vertical plane

or try to find some AKG a61 swivels

Yup the A27 would allow you to move the whole thing in front, put on your windscreens and adjust to any spacing you like with one mic over top of the other.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »
You're going to have a problem if you can't get your capsules aligned in the plane parallel with the stage.  This type of recording relies primarily on differences in arrival times to create the stereo image. If one capsule is in front of the other you're going to skew the image and perhaps invite some phase issues. Do what you can to get them in vertical alignment as you look down from above!

would it be a problem to have one over the other?
That's what i thought. Thanks.

Nope the sound will arrive at the same time on the vertical axis in this case.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »
so healy is intended for LD mics?  i had no idea.

actually know, the opposite actually. LDs don't have a truely omni directional cap, its two caps used to create the omni effect. From what I've read over the years (Moke knows more about this) on this board true healy requires SD mics.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline chris319

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
so healy is intended for LD mics?  i had no idea.

actually know, the opposite actually. LDs don't have a truely omni directional cap, its two caps used to create the omni effect. From what I've read over the years (Moke knows more about this) on this board true healy requires SD mics.

Just use a pair of these babies with 90-degree XLR connectors:

http://www.naiant.com/xqspecification.html

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
So I've been tinkering with some DIY ideas and this is what I came up with. I can't remember the part names but most came from Home Depot and all together I think materials without the shock mounts was under $10. This is just the prototype that will be flying at ABB @ RR tomorrow.

Got a question though, is it okay for the mic connections to barely touch the windscreens? I've got a 9" split going there and the mics are 1 1/4" apart...in case you would like to know that. Here are some pics...

Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
That looks great Amaro!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2009, 03:17:50 PM »
Looks exactly how I run Healy with my 480's except i'm using a Shure Vert Bar instead of a homemade mount.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »
Windscreens on omnis = belt w/suspenders*... don't worry about the gear touching.

I thought that the wind at 10KLF was howling a little more than usual this year.  There were several where I ran "dead ratz + big ass shures" on omnis...  :o   Looking forward to seeing you there in 2010.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »
been trying out the healy method onstage. i really like it. i wanna get some better omnis but overall these Sonic Studios DSM-6P arent so bad

recent uploads http://archive.org/details/hotsoup2013-04-18.mtx.kindrec
http://archive.org/details/bigwu2013-04-27.mtx.kindrec
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »
Here's a recent show i recorded using the Healy method.  I like how it came out, New Mastersounds, onstage recording.  Despite some loss of imaging, you do get some separation on the highs (due to the inherent properties of omnis). 

I think this setup can have some advantages over more directional mics in this type of setting (onstage, with a band that has a setup such as theirs, i.e. the drummer not centered on stage - he's on the far left, and rather close to the front of the stage).  While a set of cards or sub cards would provide better separation, you'd end up with a recording that is a bit less balanced in terms of the drums on the left channel.  This is where relatively close-spaced omnis such as this setup can shine.  The drums end up sounding reasonably centered, but you still get a nice stereo image. 
https://archive.org/details/nm2014-06-12.flac16.onstageCA11Omni

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
What are peoples thoughts on using 4061s in the Healy Split?
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »
^^
The miniature DPAs are so tiny they are more or less a truly omnidirectional omni across all audible frequencies. Unlike larger omnis, they have hardly any directionality at all even up into the highest regions.

With a pair of omnis that close together, the resulting recording is going to be quite mono-phonic.  Heally method is predominantly monophonic from the lows up into the midrange.  Using larger omnis which are more directional up top, and pointing them 180 degrees apart provides some stereo difference at the highest frequencies.  With microphones as small as the 4061, a 180-degree orientation instead of a 0-degree orientation will make very little difference.

If I needed to use the 4061 that close together I'd place some sort of baffle in between them,  tape them to the opposite sides of something, or mount them in the foam balls I use as DIY acoustic pressure equalization spheres.  All of those things will make them more directional at high frequencies.  Barring those things, I'd mount them farther apart.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com