Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gear bag/transporting everything?  (Read 9985 times)

Offline hardpan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Gear bag/transporting everything?
« on: July 19, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
I was wondering what some of you guys use to protect and transport your gear to and from shows. I'm sort of trying to fit everything into a backpack (which I have). Using a zoom F8, Nakamichi CM-300s including the shotgun capsules, which are the biggest challenge for me to figure out how to transport. I'm looking at this Amazon case AmazonBasics Hard Camera Case - Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L0LVDJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1niuBbNCXTM1G to house the recorder and possibly the mics, and thinking of just making a couple PVC tubes to protect the CP-4 shotgun caps. Any better ideas anyone has used? Was also considering just getting a couple zipper pouches to carry the mics along this cables, mounts, other capsules, batteries, etc.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Gear bag/transporting everything?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
I have a friend that uses poster tube to transport the CP4 caps!!  Cheap, water proof, and durable.

https://www.amazon.com/Poster-Tube-Strap-Blueprints-Paintings/dp/B01DLYJAWK/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_229_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=DH7YTM3X6JFRJ58V3446&th=1
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
The poster tube is the way to go to transport the shotgun capsules

A lot of people like this Amazon Basics camera bag https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Large-Gadget-Orange-interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=sr_1_1_acs_sk_pb_1_sl_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532023383&sr=8-1-acs&keywords=basics+camera+bag

I use a couple different bags -

a Petrol Pegz2 - it's discontinued but the medium version of this one is pretty much the same - https://www.amazon.com/Sachtler-SN607-Small-Lightweight-Audio/dp/B016M0RP8Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532023720&sr=1-1&keywords=sachtler%2Baudio%2Bbag&th=1

a Canon DSLR bag - it's just like the Amazon Basics bag above just more expensive

A Lowepro giant ass bag - not sure what the model is but it holds my four channel audio rig, two preamps, batteries, cables and my Nikon DSLR. It's old, but it's basically an older version of this one https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Magnum-200-Shoulder-Black/dp/B002I9OBQA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532024059&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=lowepro%2Baw%2Bbag&th=1
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline hardpan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 02:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Some nice bags here, and nice idea to carry the shotguns in a poster tube.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »

A lot of people like this Amazon Basics camera bag https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Large-Gadget-Orange-interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=sr_1_1_acs_sk_pb_1_sl_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532023383&sr=8-1-acs&keywords=basics+camera+bag

Thanks for the reminder on this bag.  Just picked one up.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »

Thanks for the reminder on this bag.  Just picked one up.

I've been using this bag for years, I think since it first came out.  The only thing that has worn out is one of the internal velcro patches between the inner and outer lids.  This is non-functional anyway.

One great thing about this bag for our purposes is that the side pockets are perfectly sized to hold a SuperClamp.  The small tablet pouch inside is also great for a thin USB battery.  Plenty of room in the main compartment for my DR-70D, PCM-M10, FP-24, and a couple mic mounts.  Front zip is where I keep my mics in an Otterbox cigar case. 
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

mfrench

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »
I use a soft-side fishing tackle bag by Rapala. I've been using it for 20 years or so. It was intended to hold a set of segmented plastic lure/tackle boxes.  When those were removed (Sarge immediately bagged them for her beading collection), it left an empty open shell on the inside.  I then fitted it with a Target shelf rack (remember those?), and, many many concerts recorded since then.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »
I've been using this bag for years, I think since it first came out.  The only thing that has worn out is one of the internal velcro patches between the inner and outer lids.  This is non-functional anyway.

One great thing about this bag for our purposes is that the side pockets are perfectly sized to hold a SuperClamp.  The small tablet pouch inside is also great for a thin USB battery.  Plenty of room in the main compartment for my DR-70D, PCM-M10, FP-24, and a couple mic mounts.  Front zip is where I keep my mics in an Otterbox cigar case.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to use the bag.  I don't have a superclamp but a regular one so that'll easily fit in the side pocket.  Also, I hadn't thought about using the tablet pouch for a thinner USB battery.  Still trying to figure out what 4-channel deck I'll go for when running open but this bag will give me plenty of room for everything by the sounds of things.  :)
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Chris Damon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 04:22:16 PM »
nothing like a Pelican.......waterproof, dustproof, airtight

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 10:11:19 AM »
That Amazon camera bag looks nice and seems a very good deal.

I've been using a soft sided cooler for the past decade.  Looks pretty much like Moke's tackle bag.  It's small as a cooler but generously sized as gear bag.  Currently houses a DR-680, large external battery, 6 PFAs, cabling and whatever I need to carry on top inside.  Can fit the V3 in there as well if I need 8 channels, or the R44 DR680 for the few times I needed 10 channels.

I like it nice because it's lightweight for its size, fully zips up, has pockets on the front and sides, a fat well padded shoulder strap, and the internal plastic cooler tub makes the internal compartment fully watertight up to the lip.  Also the removable tub makes for a hidden compartment underneath- lift out the entire tub without disturbing the recorder, batteries and all wiring to access it.  I originally bought it as a stopgap solution, and as I recall it was less than $15, but it has worked so well I've never replaced it.  I carry everything in there except the mic stand and/or extension arms.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:13:04 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
nothing like a Pelican.......waterproof, dustproof, airtight

I thought about a Pelican for my taping gear, since I use them for other stuff (and I have my recorders in small Pelicans) but they're too bulky for in between theater seats. Have you seen the Pelican knock-offs at Harbor Freight? They seem really good!
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 01:41:53 AM »
I thought about a Pelican for my taping gear, since I use them for other stuff (and I have my recorders in small Pelicans) but they're too bulky for in between theater seats. Have you seen the Pelican knock-offs at Harbor Freight? They seem really good!
A co-worker got a cheap blue knock-off, and the main problem seems to be the cheap cheesy handle.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline sec1968

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 12:56:03 AM »
Roger gave me grief last time we taped a show together, about my heavy ass bag. I now use a small suitcase with wheels to drag all my crap around. And if I need to pick it up, it feels lighter than the other bag I used for about 10 years.
tapersec1968 (at) gmail.com

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/sec1968

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com