Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New T amp....  (Read 29453 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
New T amp....
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:36:31 AM »
100w version (50w x 2). 
black aluminum case, front panel 3.5mm jack input and 1/4 headphone out.  RCA input / speaker taps in the rear.
$99 from PartsExpress. 
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

brand new.  I bet this sound really, really good.
makes me wonder if "high end" stereo is going the way of "high end" A/D converters.
thinking back to the Apogee AD500e in my closet, which used to be sooooo good, and now is trumped by the cheap internal conversion chips in any given hand held PCM recorder.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:38:06 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New T amp....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »
Yeah, but the high end keeps getting better, also.  Not universally true, but better, yes.  The newest DACs from the high end companies are very, very good.

That said, I do think you can get a larger chunk of hifi for a smaller outlay nowadays.  I have a Cambridge DacMagic which is SHOCKING in it's musicality, detail, and general all-around excellent reproduction of digital.  I have compared it to the Cambridge 740i (DacMagic was far better), the Ayre QB-1 (very very close here, I liked things about both), Simaudio Supernova (Supernova was better), Simaudio 750D (Simaudio was better) and the Esoteric X-01D2 (Esoteric was better).  That certainly isn't a comprehensive evaluation, but I don't have access to everything in the high end :) The DacMagic held it's own as you went up the price scale, and in fact I'd honestly save the bucks over the Ayre and buy the DacMagic unless I had a very aggressive or bass shy system (Ayre was slightly more relaxed and had more rounded bass).  I could even see some folks (classical enthusiasts, primarily) choosing the DacMagic over the Supernova, although even for classical I preferred the Supernova.

But the thing is, the DacMagic is around $400...  To get that level of performance you would have had to spend $8-10k a few years ago--I know, as I used to own a dCS Delius.  When I first started taping 24 bit, back in '03, it took a very expensive DAC to really get your money's worth in 24 bit.  Nowadays, you can get this for under a grand...

Pretty sweet.  But just know that there is "better" out there, and there will be those people who continue to pay for it.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
yes i dont discount the mid-fi brands until i hear them anymore, the DACMagic is the perfect example.  i do think that the truly hifi brands are going to see serious thinning of the heard as the difference in a 10k unit and a 1k unit are slowly getting less and less, so much so that the 10x price tag isnt worth it, even to the audiophile that has the cash to buy and electronics to hear what they might get.  i see a radical change coming in the next decade.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
sure.., but the bar can only be raised so far, unless they are making ears better too these days.
:)

the "diminishing return" , alive and well in 2010.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
the oppo blueray player is the perfect example of how hifi cant improve on a midfi product, no matter the R&D. 

^^fact

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »
sure.., but the bar can only be raised so far, unless they are making ears better too these days.

True... I remember growing up how we revered the Denon, Yamaha and Klipsch products.. Basically influenced by glossy ads, and specs.  Fortunately we got wise.

But in terms of raising the bar, I was shocked at how much better my system sounded after removing the pre-amp, a decent Linn LK1.   Going squeezebox > dna125 > VR4, dumping the pre-amp made a Huge difference (especially to the soundstage).  It would be interesting to try a DacMagic in there... And of course there is the challenge of supporting the turn table.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »
same here.
I went from a 10 year old DAC that was in the $4k range new, a pair of nearly $4k monoblocks...., cheap tube preamp with a few hundred in tubes on top.....
to a new Cambridge 640r receiver that was $800 new.   
the difference is minor, and I enjoy it just as much.  go figure.
(fwiw, if I still had my big ML's, it would be a different story...some gear is more forgiving than others, as we know)

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »
Speakers will continue to define what "sounds good" in your rig...  Your old SL3's are definitely power suckers, and want good, clean power.  A friend of mine uses big Brystons to good effect on those.  I don't think the Cambridge would do so well there.   I have a friend who has a pair of Mirage OMD-28's, and although they are good, they are certainly a limiting factor in his system.  I have heard very large differences between certain very digital front ends in my system, with more revealing speakers, and in his system the DACs end up sounding much more similar to each other.  His Mirage's are limiting, so it doesn't make sense for him to drop the $$ for a >$10k DAC.

So on one hand, as you move up the speaker foodchain, you need better and better stuff to feed them.

That said, I do agree on a certain level.  Eventually you get to "good enough" and many can live with that.  I recently found myself buying a bel canto "stack" (CD2/Dac3/Ref1000) when I had planned on spending more $$$ adding to my Simaudio Evo stack, simply because I really liked it and thought it was plenty good.  The Sim 750D would have "upgraded" my Supernova fairly significantly, but after hearing the bel cantos I thought "hell, I could live with this."  In the end I'm happier than a pig in the dirt, and even have cash leftover from my equipment sale to buy some sweet mics for my taping rig.  It may not quite reach the musical heights the Sim's do when they're in their element, but I also like more varied genres through the bel cantos.  So in that regard, they're maybe even a little "better" to me.

Some want to spend more $$, though, and I still think you're rewarded (in some cases) for doing that.  That Esoteric I mentioned above is one example.  If you listen to a lot of classical, and have a large SACD collection, I can say with great certainty that the player is "worth" the crazy ~$20k pricetag.  I certainly thought it sounded "better" than what I was used to.  But I don't have $20k to spend on a digital front end, and even if I did, I don't think I would, as I have other areas of my life which could use the cash.

So that's your point exactly, I suppose.

Interetsingly enough, freelunch, my new rig is the first system I've ever had where I liked it without a preamp.  And I do like it better that way.  The only bummer is my analog stuff has to live in a different system (unless I use an ADC).

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
Interetsingly enough, freelunch, my new rig is the first system I've ever had where I liked it without a preamp.  And I do like it better that way.  The only bummer is my analog stuff has to live in a different system (unless I use an ADC).

Interesting..  Good to hear I'm not the only one ;)

What combination are you currently running that way?   And I'm curious which pre-amps you've tried, and how they influenced the sound.  Most people tend to look at me funny when I suggest their pre-amp may be weighing down the potential of their playback.  And hi-fi shops don't like to hear such blasphemy (understatement).  The dna125 > vr4 combo is power-matched such that I typically run at, or near, full digital volume.  So in terms of concerns about digital attenuation reducing resolution, the bits are usually all there.

It does create a problem with how to integrate the analog.  I've thought about ways to evaluate going pre-amp free with the turntable.  It would require the initial cartridge gain, especially for MC, and the RIAA EQ.  But I wonder just what the quality might be.   

I didn't see a digital attenuator with the DacMagic.  Does it have one?

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
Interesting..  Good to hear I'm not the only one ;)

What combination are you currently running that way?   And I'm curious which pre-amps you've tried, and how they influenced the sound. 
Currently, I have the full Bel Canto stack: CD2 transport, DAC3 DAC w/digital volume control, and Ref1000 monoblocks into a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M's.  Bel Canto definitely makes their stuff to run without a preamp; with a preamp in between the DAC3 and the Ref1000's, the sound quality degraded noticeably.  I actually went to my dealer to shop amps; I had decided to replace my Simaudio i7, as it just wasn't letting the full beauty of my Cremona M's come through.  I had intended to stay in the Simaudio line, but really enjoyed a side session we had with the Bel Canto Ref1000's.  At that time I was listening to the BC stuff via a conrad-johnson preamp.  I played with a bunch of different configs (dealer carries Sim, BC, c-j, Rogue, primarily), and found that each time I added a Bel Canto product in lieu of another company's offering, the level of immediacy and transparency improved greatly, and removing ALL analog from the chain improved the sound yet another order of magnitude.

I was initially quite surprised at this, as I've never been a fan of running sans preamp.  I have tried twice previously in my house, once with a Cary and once with a dCS DAC.  Both times I liked having a preamp in place better.  I also tried at my friend's house with his old Wadia CDP.  Again, we preferred running a preamp. 

But the Bel Canto's digital attenuation essentially seems completely seamless to me.  I notice no loss of resolution in my system.  In fact, quite the opposite was true--as I said, the increase in transparency and immediacy were pretty startling.  It was clear to me that this was the way to configure the Bel Canto stuff, if you want to run it.  So I bought the whole kit and caboodle.

It does create a problem with how to integrate the analog.  I've thought about ways to evaluate going pre-amp free with the turntable.  It would require the initial cartridge gain, especially for MC, and the RIAA EQ.  But I wonder just what the quality might be. 
I have been considering using my SD702 to do this...  Run a phono stage directly into the 702, and feed the DAC3.  According to Bel Canto, you lose little by doing this.  It "feels" a little weird, though, I admit; at that point, I might as well record with the 702 and drop it to my hard drive...  So currently my TT stays in my all-analog all-tube "home office" rig.  It doesn't get much use, honestly, which is kinda sad as I have some wicked good LP's which I do not have a duplicate of in the digital realm.  I just keep waffling on what to do; every time I think about bringing the TT downstairs, I think, "why would I a/d this?" and then also realize, "I have no time to record and track this out" so there it stays.  LOL. 

I didn't see a digital attenuator with the DacMagic.  Does it have one?
Unfortunately, no.  I bought the DacMagic for a system which is just now shaping up.  My wife and I are finishing our basement, so I am assembling a little of a "leftover hifi" down there.  I needed a digital front end, heard good things about the DacMagic, decided to try it, and am honestly blown away by what you get for ~$500.  Depending upon the system, as I said, I didn't even notice much of a different between the DacMagic and some pretty pricey sources.  In my main system, though, it was noticeably less superior than the Simaudio stuff (at the time I evaluated the DacMagic I fed it with my Simaudio Supernova into a Pass Labs INT-30A, possibly the most revealing amp I've ever heard in my life).  It's damn good, tho.

BTW, I used to own a DNA-125.  I really liked that amp.  I had it paired with the RLD-1 preamp, which I also thought was quite good.  I've often wondered what McCormack's new stuff sounds like...  Nowhere to hear it locally anymore, tho.

If you have your system gain matched so well that you can run wide open nearly all the time, that's simply ideal, I'd think.  The one thing I've pondered over the years is that perhaps I didn't like running without a preamp in prior systems because of a impedance mismatch between my source and the amp.  In that case, a "buffer" may fix things and bring your system to a new level.  These things have some scuttlebutt right now, but others have preceded them in the US marketplace:
http://bursonaudio.com/burson_buffer_160.htm

We're kind OT now  :P

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
ducati - lets see some pics of that setup! sounds like a beaut
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »
I have absolutely zero interesting photos of my hifi!  With a 1 year old, it's the last thing I think to photograph.  That said, I did have one on my phone of my dog, which also had some hifi stuff int he background.  At the time the photo was taken, I believe I had just unboxed the Pass Labs INT30A, you can see it sitting on top of my Supernova.  In the end, I took the Denon AVR out of the system, as I realized I preferred to run in 2-channel mode anyway.  So I moved the PS3 into the slot taken up by the AVR, the Supernova underneath that, and the INT30A where the Supernova was.  I moved the cable box above the INT30A.

And this is the configuration that I still run today--the Bel Canto Ref1000M's are on the bottom left (they're tiny), and the CD2/DAC3 are on the bottom right. 

In the second photo, you can see a quickie I snapped of the Bel Canto stack when I had just brought it home to evaluate it.  I took the photo to send to a fellow hifi nut because I thought it was hilarious I could fit an entire hifi in the space of one integrated amp.

Sorry the photos absolutely suck donkey nuts.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
beatiful rig. I love the looks of the latest BC gear. I didn't realize the SF's had that small of a foot print.
I am not showing my wife your setup because she'll wonder why I need a whole rack for all of my crap instead of just putting it in a nice entertainment center :yack:

I bet it sounds great!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 09:09:46 AM »
Ha, yeah, that was a forced purchase, which has prevented me from going the monoblock route until I moved to the bel canto's.  I did very briefly have some tube monoblocks in the corners of the room, but that wasn't very pleasing to my better half  :P

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
I figured that I'd revisit this thread as I'm somewhat interested in this little gem.

How do you guys think this little guy would fare driving a 4ohm load? (bookshelf speakers)

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
I figured that I'd revisit this thread as I'm somewhat interested in this little gem.

How do you guys think this little guy would fare driving a 4ohm load? (bookshelf speakers)
My (eBay purchased Topping  TP21 TA2021) T-Amp is rated for both 4-ohm and 8-ohm loads, with the higher wattage rating on a 4-ohm load.  Should work fine for bookshelf speakers.  Here's the spec: Output Power 2 x 25W @ 4ohm, 2 x 14W @ 8ohm
retired

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 03:24:54 PM »
should be dynamite w/a 4ohm load.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
Ordered another T-Amp today.  This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp.  It should fit in nicely into my Mac desktop playback system, and provide a lot of flexibility.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120541743715

I also just ordered a pair of the A-T ATH-M50 headphones to give those a go.  I'm assuming it'll be a very different set of cans compared to my Grado SR225's, but the open-back nature of the Grados and the sound leakage drives my wife a bit nuts at times.

On the T-amps:  I've got a cheap Lepai T-Amp (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290411886493) that had been in my background-listening living room set up.  But now I've moved it out to the new outdoor deck listening system.  I've got a nice Trends Audio TA-10.1 t-amp that had been in my Mac playback system, but will now move upstairs into the living room to make way for the latest t-amp for the office system.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
T-liceous !

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »
This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp. 

How does that USB DAC feature work? The eBay link doesn't mention software.

I'm still using the Cambridge A500 you recommended (a few years back) as my DAW playback amp.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 08:45:15 AM »
I'm amazed at how good the T-Amp sounds driving headphones.  Never heard headphones sound so good... :headphones:
retired

Offline Todd R

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »

I'll have to get back to you in 2-3 weeks, or whatever the delivery time is from Hong Kong. :)

I'm hoping it'll just work, but we'll see.  The down side is the USB chip they are using is only 16bit, so if I go that route my 24bit listening will just be truncating the extra bits.  Probably good enough for most of the listening I'll do off this system, but for critical listening I'll have to take the 1/8" out of my mac or better yet take the optical digital out of the mac into a separate DAC.  I used to have a SuperDAC inserted into this system, but took it out when I moved.  I may need to dig it up again.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »

I'll have to get back to you in 2-3 weeks, or whatever the delivery time is from Hong Kong. :)

I'm hoping it'll just work, but we'll see.  The down side is the USB chip they are using is only 16bit, so if I go that route my 24bit listening will just be truncating the extra bits.  Probably good enough for most of the listening I'll do off this system, but for critical listening I'll have to take the 1/8" out of my mac or better yet take the optical digital out of the mac into a separate DAC.  I used to have a SuperDAC inserted into this system, but took it out when I moved.  I may need to dig it up again.

This is what caused me to go with an Audio-gd FUN

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/FUN/DAC-FUN.htm

I ordered it mon / tues. I am very much looking forward to playing with it

I need to get some new cans tho. I currently have the AKG K271's. They are ok and I have had them for a while. I am thinking about a set of grados or the AT's mentioned above
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Todd R

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »
If you're thinking you want to go with Grados, I'm probably selling my low-hours SR225's.  As I said, WAF driving me towards the closed AT's.  I hardly ever use headphones other than my Shure canal phones for portable use, so it doesn't make much sense to keep both the AT's and the Grados.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
Ordered another T-Amp today.  This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp.  It should fit in nicely into my Mac desktop playback system, and provide a lot of flexibility.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120541743715

I also just ordered a pair of the A-T ATH-M50 headphones to give those a go.  I'm assuming it'll be a very different set of cans compared to my Grado SR225's, but the open-back nature of the Grados and the sound leakage drives my wife a bit nuts at times.

On the T-amps:  I've got a cheap Lepai T-Amp (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290411886493) that had been in my background-listening living room set up.  But now I've moved it out to the new outdoor deck listening system. I've got a nice Trends Audio TA-10.1 t-amp that had been in my Mac playback system, but will now move upstairs into the living room to make way for the latest t-amp for the office system.

I was looking for something simple for an outdoor setup and was wondering how one of these T-amp's would fare powering some outdoor mountable/hangable speakers.  I don't need anything *loud*..  just something that puts out enough and sounds decent.  I have a small area between my house and garage (about 60'x60'/patio etc) and some ambient tuneage would be nice.   
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Todd R

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
That Lepai T-amp would work fine.  I've been using mine out on the deck with some indoor/outdoor speakers and it plays plenty loud driven by an ipod and sounds good too.  I've even been doing some work out in the yard 25-30 yards away from the speakers and could hear them fine.  For under $30 shipped, you can't go wrong.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
This will be my third, but this one is a T-Amp + USB DAC + Headphone amp. 

Forgot about this thread.  That new T-amp/USB DAC/Headphone amp is great!  Sounds excellent, both as an amp for my Soliloquys and as a headphone amp for my new ATH-M50 cans.

As to the USB DAC -- plug and play with my iMac.  I didn't do anything, just connected it and it played.  I'm not sure how it works with PC systems, but wouldn't imagine it would be anything more than finding the right driver for it.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
I got one of these DTA-100 and can say it sounds great!  Have it feeding a pair of PSB Alpha B1 bookshelf speakers, and I'm amazed at the sound.  Great amp for the money.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 12:55:11 AM »
damn this pre-amp is backordered until late november. It must be pretty popular.

Those who bought it have had sufficient playing time, how has it been and how has it treated you? What headphones have you used on it?

Recently I have been reading headphone reviews and its absolutely revolting how much a pair of headphones can cost. The Senn HD 800 (for example) are $1400.
For that much money, I'd rather buy some real nice speakers and amp.

throw some open air headphones I should check out in the sub $200 range.

Thanks!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »
anyone snag this little t-amp? I am thinking about ordering one and a pair of polk monitor40 bookshelf's to be my pc listening rig.. anyone think this would be a good combo?

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »
I went ahead and pulled the trigger.. I am tired of editing my recordings with headphones (as my desktop speakers are JUNK). Anyone recommend a set of bookshelf speakers to go along with this little t-amp? btw use coupon 'SAVE52010' when making your purchase to save 5 bucks.

INTERNET ORDER DETAILS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QTY     PartNumber     Product     Price    Ext. Price
1    300-383    Dayton DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC    $99.90    $99.90
1    CREDIT    $5 Customer Appreciation Reward    ($5.00)    ($5.00)
1       Economy Shipping    $0.00    $0.00

Neil

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »
how did you order it? shows out of stock NOW until 1 december?

thanks for the coupon discount!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »
Just placed the order as usual added to cart and checked out. It will accept the order if you are in the states but will not ship until the product is instock i guess..

Neil

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »
Still have yet to get shipping confirm on this damn thing haha.. Been patiently waiting.. I just did a customer service chat with them and they tell me it will ship on Dec 10..

Neil

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
I'm ready for it to ship so you can tell me what you think of it.

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »
site says its back in stock but mine has yet to ship.. I have another comment in to their 'customer support' asking why it has yet to ship...

neil

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »
"Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Parts Express. Dayton DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC just camr back
in stock on December 6th 2010. It will be shipped for you tomorrow!

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Viktoria Farr
Customer Service Team"

Fingers crossed it ships today..

Neil

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »
any update as to whether it shipped?

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
Ship date
Dec 7, 2010
Estimated delivery
Dec 11, 2010

Supposed to be here tomorrow... We shall see... Coming fedex smartpost so usps.

Neil

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:34 AM »
came yesterday! all I can say is it is worth every penny. I love this thing. I can crank it all the way up not a single bit of hiss or white noise. I have yet to run my cans through it but so far im loving how it sounds pushing my monitor40s.

Neil

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »
What exactly does Class T amplifier mean? I don't know very much about this stuff so I apologize if that is a really simple question.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
What exactly does Class T amplifier mean? I don't know very much about this stuff so I apologize if that is a really simple question.

Made-up marketing term afaik -- though I do like this "class" of amp.

At any rate, class T is a particular type of digital switching amp using a Tripath amplifier chip.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »
Made-up marketing term afaik -- though I do like this "class" of amp.

At any rate, class T is a particular type of digital switching amp using a Tripath amplifier chip.

Thanks

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
Have recently noticed mine having an issue. I have tried all the scenarios. No matter what I input into the device whether it be my pc or an ipod or my r-44 the left chan output is louder. I can turn the volume way down (to where nothing is coming out of either speaker). Then I can start turning it up until I barely hear audio and it only comes out of the left channel (yes I checked the levels of all input devices they are the same for L+R). I have switched everything around to make sure it is not a problem with my wiring or speakers themselves. If I turn the volume knob to around 8-oclock on the dial I get the left channel then I turn it a bit more ~9-oclock on the dial and the right channel audio starts in (does not sound like much of an issue but the left channel is always noticeably louder). I have then plugged in my headphones into the t-amp and same thing turn it down enough and only the left channel outputs to my cans. It has to be an issue with the T-Amp. We will see I have an email in with partsexpress technical to see what they want me to do... otherwise very happy with the amp.
Neil

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »
I would contact the vendor about a replacement.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »
Its on its way back to parts-express for a free replacement. I called and talked to a tech and he gave me an rma with prepaid shipping back to them. fingers crossed for the replacment..

neil

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
sounds rather painless, glad to hear they have a good service department.   Shit does happen....especially with the mileage these Chinese made electronics see, thats a ton of bouncing the goods.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Neilyboy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:46 PM »
two thumbs way up for parts express customer support. took me no longer than 3 minutes to get a tech on the phone (twice actually, two diff calls). I simply explained my issue to a guy named Mike who quickly gave me the rma number and emailed me the prepaid label. Will do a more thorough review once I get the amp back (hopefully working).

Neil

Offline Chuck

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »
So, I find myself with a little extra money and I'm seriously thinking about picking up a T-amp.
What's the best cheap no frills deal out there right now?

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
So, I find myself with a little extra money and I'm seriously thinking about picking up a T-amp.

Here's a couple routes you can go, Chuck.  I know you're a tinkerer, so option #2 or 3 are geared for you IMO.

1) Pick up the Dayton DTA-100 50w/ch for $100.  The work's already done for you.  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383&FTR=dayton%20dta-100

2) Go for the uber cheap Dayton DTA-2 15w/ch for $20.  I think you still need a power supply.  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-385&vReviewShow=1#reviews

3) Pick up a Sure Electronics 2x100W board & a Meanwell power supply for ~$95.  Sounds good out of the box & can be greatly DIY improved. 
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=Mfg&srchMfg=133

They also sell the Sure boards & power supplies on Ebay, so check for deals.  See this thread for a plethora of DIY upgrad info on the Sure boards:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/143669-sure-electronics-new-tripath-board-tc2000-tp2050.html
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Chuck

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
Cool. I do have a bunch of panel mount connectors and a nice heavy aluminum case I could use if I go the DIY route. I probably missed out on the super cheap deals out there when the technology first came out. I remember seeing a nice one (high quality components) for around $50 shipped from Hong Kong or China a while back. Thanks for the links.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
Cool. I do have a bunch of panel mount connectors and a nice heavy aluminum case I could use if I go the DIY route. I probably missed out on the super cheap deals out there when the technology first came out. I remember seeing a nice one (high quality components) for around $50 shipped from Hong Kong or China a while back. Thanks for the links.

There's a ton of Tripath stuff on Ebay.  http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=tripath&_sacat=See-All-Categories

You may be thinking of this guy's stuff on Ebay for cheap upgraded T-amps.  He's got some really cheap stuff & posts on the DIY Forums as well:  http://shop.ebay.com/arjenhelder_electronic/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Offline Todd R

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »

Probably the cheapest one out there (full amp, not kit) is the Lepai:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

Now at parts-express, though out of stock.  I picked up one awhile back, and have it installed in my outdoor patio system.  I don't have it in a system that I can critically evaluate, but it seems to work good and at least directionally sounds akin to my other 2 t-amps.

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »
eBay.   I've gotten 2, a Muse TA2024 based (about $30?),  which is great, and a higher powered Topping TA2020, which is also excellent and functions as a headphone amp too (about $55?).   I think I like the sound of the TA2024 better though.  From Hong Kong or China, I forget.  Takes a few weeks, but it's worth it.
retired

Offline Chuck

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
eBay.   I've gotten 2, a Muse TA2024 based (about $30?),  which is great, and a higher powered Topping TA2020, which is also excellent and functions as a headphone amp too (about $55?).   I think I like the sound of the TA2024 better though.  From Hong Kong or China, I forget.  Takes a few weeks, but it's worth it.

Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSE-Class-T-Amp-Integrate-Amplifier-Tripath-TA2024-/180596706655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c670d5f#ht_4043wt_1140

The USB models I'm finding are all between $70 and $100.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
The specs of the cheaper T-amps are 15watts into 4ohms and 10watts into 8 ohms. I'd be using one to power Tannoy Reveals (near field) at moderate volume.
So, are the low wattage amps OK for that, or should I look for beefier amps? I'm limiting myself to $50 shipped.
I already have a good 24v DC power supply I can use too.

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »

Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSE-Class-T-Amp-Integrate-Amplifier-Tripath-TA2024-/180596706655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c670d5f#ht_4043wt_1140

The USB models I'm finding are all between $70 and $100.

Yes, just like that one.   Very impressive sound from this unit!  I think I probably paid around that price too, as my memory starts to kick in...  the other higher wattage (by just a few watts) model based on the TA2020 is pretty similar, and I like the headphone driver in it.
retired

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »
Or like this one, $30 shipped. Cheaper but you need your own power supply (or spend another $10):

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSE-T-AMP-MU-15-MK2-TA2024-Class-T-HI-FI-Amplifier-S-/110577867624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bef45b68

retired

Offline Chuck

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »
Cool, Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
I can find a suitable power supply locally.

I did investigate buying a bare board and putting it into my own enclosure, but I'm not convinced that will be any better than what is available all ready assembled.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
I did a little research last night, and this is what I came up with in the $50 and lower range at eBay:
If you recommend the Muse, I'll probably get that one.

MUSE T-AMP MU-15 MK2 TA2024 Class-T HI-FI Amplifier B
TA 2024 chipset, 15w 4 ohms, 10w 8 ohms, Black
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120605156534&category=39783&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_3586wt_756

MUSE T-AMP MU-15 MK2 TA2024 Class-T HI-FI Amplifier S
TA 2024 chipset, 15w 4 ohms, 10w 8 ohms, Silver
http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSE-T-AMP-MU-15-MK2-TA2024-Class-T-HI-FI-Amplifier-S-/110577867624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bef45b68#ht_3594wt_806

$19.99 amp
$  9.99 power supply
$  9.99 shipping
$39.97 Total

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2*15W TA2024C Tripath Class-D Digital Audio Amplifier
TA 2024 chipset, 20w 4 ohms, 10w 8 ohms, Digital volume control, Black
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250728822935&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4959wt_1013

$35.00 amp, no power supply
$10.00 shipping
$45.00 Total

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TA-2020 TA2020 Tripath Stereo HI-FI Amplifier AMP
TA 2020 chipset, 20w 4 ohms, 13w 8 ohms, Black
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190398681812&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3535wt_1023

$19.50 amp, no power supply
$19.50 Total

S.M.S.L SA-36 Class T-Amp TA2020 Tripath Hi-Fi Stereo
TA 2020 chipset, 20w 4 ohms, 13w 8 ohms, Silver
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110624601721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_8542wt_802

$21.99 amp
$  9.99 power supply
$16.99 shipping
$48.97 Total

2*15W Sure TA2024C Tripath Class-D Audio Amplifier with case
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4614&rt=nc&_nkw=tripath&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1514
$38.99 amp
$           power supply?
$00.00 shipping
$38.99 Total

Tripath TA2024 Mini Class T Amp Amplifier Ipod Black X
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripath-TA2024-Mini-Class-T-Amp-Amplifier-Ipod-Black-X-/290510113632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3c08b60#ht_6583wt_1243

$17.99 amp, no power supply
$14.00 shipping
$31.99 Total

SA-36 TA2024 Class-T Tripath HI-FI Amplifier AMP +Power
TA 2024 chipset, 15w 4 ohms, 10w 8 ohms, Silver
http://cgi.ebay.com/SA-36-TA2024-Class-T-Tripath-HI-FI-Amplifier-AMP-Power-/190475283313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c59362b71#ht_5028wt_932

$39.99 amp with power supply
$13.50 shipping
$53.49 Total

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
I did a little research last night, and this is what I came up with in the $50 and lower range at eBay:
If you recommend the Muse, I'll probably get that one.

Tripath TA2024 Mini Class T Amp Amplifier Ipod Black X
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripath-TA2024-Mini-Class-T-Amp-Amplifier-Ipod-Black-X-/290510113632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3c08b60#ht_6583wt_1243

$17.99 amp, no power supply
$14.00 shipping
$31.99 Total

[/color]
The one above has lousy speaker connects - screw-in.  I like the standard ones that you can use with bare wire, or better, banana jacks, and lock in.

I am very happy with the MUSE TA2024.  Also very happy with the Topping, but I was mistaken, it's not a TA2020, I have a TA2021 rated a bit higher than both at  (2 x 25W @4ohm, 2 X 14W @ 8ohm), just like this one (around $80 shipped):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Topping-TP21-Class-T-Digital-Amplifier-Headphones-Amp-/280558964476?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item41529e0efc

Topping models have some with USB for a few $ more.
retired

Offline Chuck

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
I never should have looked into the DIY for these, lol  ;D

I can get a stuffed TA2020 HLLY circuit board for $18 shipped!

http://www.hllyaudio.com/diy-parts/completed-ta2020-amplifier-pcb-for-diy-20w-free-air-mail.html

I already have a  nice, heavy aluminum box and some left over panel mount connectors from my last pre-amp project.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »

I have one of the topping amps with USB in my computer playback system.  USB DAC, Headphone amp, and Class T speaker amp all in one.  I love it -- sounds great, very flexible.  It has RCA inputs, but I usually use the USB DAC input, and then I use it both as a headphone amp with my Grado SR225's or my A-T ATH-M50 cans (really getting used to those for post-production work!), and also use it for speaker playback with my Soliloquy's.

More expensive than what Chuck is looking for, but a great box!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

I have one of the topping amps with USB in my computer playback system.  USB DAC, Headphone amp, and Class T speaker amp all in one.  I love it -- sounds great, very flexible.  It has RCA inputs, but I usually use the USB DAC input, and then I use it both as a headphone amp with my Grado SR225's or my A-T ATH-M50 cans (really getting used to those for post-production work!), and also use it for speaker playback with my Soliloquy's.

More expensive than what Chuck is looking for, but a great box!

I just got one a couple of weeks ago (Topping TP-30) for computer playback & I concur. It sounds great as a headphone amp powering my Sennheiser HD 650's and does a great job powering my Polk bookshelf speakers. I use the USB input for computer playback (although I had to do some research to find out how to get Adobe Audition to use it as an external DAC) and have a radio plugged into the RCA jacks for when I want to listed to the radio when working at the computer (the quality of internet radio is a disappointment to me in most cases).

At around $100, this was one of the best purchases I've ever made. It took about a month to arrive from China, but well worth the wait.

Now I see you can get one for $90 shipped here:
http://www.hifidiyshop.com/topping-tp30-class-t-digital-amplifier-usb-dac-ta2024_p221.html
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
I thought I would pipe in on one of these units I received as a bundle with the Matrix mini i. I set up a system to our large screen using a pair of Infinity Primus 162's with the Hlly TP20. The infinity's are 8 ohm and the sensitivity is 90db's, which made me believe they had a good chance of responding (+) to this small amp. Well, so far I am impressed. I played some CD's, watched a couple of Dead DVD's and watched some TV and it filled the room nicely. It is not reference quality but very listenable. Considering I got the amp for free and paid $160 for the speakers this is a screaming deal. For less than $200.00 I have something that gives me and my family nice sounding music and improved TV sound.

I did notice that out of the box I was not too impressed with the sound as a whole. It took only 30 minutes or so for the sound to improve, as it continues to do so. This is not surprising since both the amp and speaker are new. I am also underpowering the amp with a PS that that puts out only 1 amp. I have a 4 amp PS on the way. But, hey, it works much better than I expected with this PS.

Looks like dorms and bedrooms have an answer to "affordable" improved sound. And, in my case, our TV room, too!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:42:02 PM by raymonda »

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2010, 11:06:29 AM »
I thought I would pipe in on one of these units I received as a bundle with the Matrix mini i. I sent up a system to our large screen using a pair of Infinity Primus 162's with the Hlly TP20.

I did notice that out of the box I was not too impressed with the sound as a whole. It took only 30 minutes or so for the sound to improve, as it continues to do so. This is not surprising since both the amp and speaker are new. I am also underpowering the amp with a PS that that puts out only 1 amp. I have a 4 amp PS on the way. But, hey, it works much better than I expected with this PS.

Looks like dorms and bedrooms have an answer to "affordable" improved sound. And, in my case, our TV room, too!

The power supply that comes with the HLLY is 12 volts (and the input says 9-13 volts), so even 4 volts won't be optimum.

I think the Topping T-Amps are worth the extra money over the HLLY. The speaker connections on the HLLY look really cheap compared to the Topping's and the input on the HLLY is 1/8 instead of 2 RCA. Makes me wonder about the quality of the other parts they use in the Hlly....

The Hlly is supposed to sound good though.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Todd R

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »
Ray's talking amps, not volts.  12v @ 1A = 12 watts, pretty low power supply as ray notes.  At 4A, it'll provide 48 watts so the HLLY amp won't be choked.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »
Yepper, I said amps of course!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2010, 01:47:33 PM »
I thought I would pipe in on one of these units I received as a bundle with the Matrix mini i. I sent up a system to our large screen using a pair of Infinity Primus 162's with the Hlly TP20.

The power supply that comes with the HLLY is 12 volts (and the input says 9-13 volts), so even 4 volts won't be optimum.

I think the Topping T-Amps are worth the extra money over the HLLY. The speaker connections on the HLLY look really cheap compared to the Topping's and the input on the HLLY is 1/8 instead of 2 RCA. Makes me wonder about the quality of the other parts they use in the Hlly....

The Hlly is supposed to sound good though.

I'm not sure what unit you are referring to but I think the Topping and the Hilly are esentially the same. Here's pics of the hlly.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2011, 10:55:44 AM »
How is everybody liking their DTA-100a?

In this post, illconditioned mentions that his has some small sound issue: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145890.0
That happen to anybody recently?

What speakers is everybody using with the 100a amp?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »

I have a Topping with all the above features and love it as well. It's only 30 watts, but pumps out plenty of volume through my small Polk speakers and is also a great sounding headphone amp for My Sennheiser HD650's.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »

In this post, illconditioned mentions that his has some small sound issue: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145890.0

Update: the channel I was having trouble with died.  I cannot find any (obvious) problems on the board (cold solder, etc), but I might search harder.  I really liked the sound ... when it worked.  I'm in Canada, so I won't be able to (easily) return this.  Shipping is something like $35 for a $100 amp!

By the way, when shopping for these amps, be careful.  It looks like there are both Tripath and TI chips out there, and conflicting information on what amps use what.  (Muse reports Tripath in some Ebay postings, and TI in others).  The TI seems to have much more distortion than the Tripath version.  The intended use of all the TI chips is things like TVs, flat panels, etc, not HIFI.

It looks like we want the Tripath TK2050 chip, which is 50Wx2, but practical up to about 30Wx2.  This is what is in the Dayton box.  From what I can tell, this is a higer power version of the TA series in most of the older Tripath models.

I really like the idea of a low power and clean amp, but I'll have to dig more.  The other option is to buy a TK2050 kit and put it into a box myself.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »

Update: the channel I was having trouble with died.  I cannot find any (obvious) problems on the board (cold solder, etc), but I might search harder.  I really liked the sound ... when it worked.  I'm in Canada, so I won't be able to (easily) return this.  Shipping is something like $35 for a $100 amp!

By the way, when shopping for these amps, be careful.  It looks like there are both Tripath and TI chips out there, and conflicting information on what amps use what.  (Muse reports Tripath in some Ebay postings, and TI in others).  The TI seems to have much more distortion than the Tripath version.  The intended use of all the TI chips is things like TVs, flat panels, etc, not HIFI.

It looks like we want the Tripath TK2050 chip, which is 50Wx2, but practical up to about 30Wx2.  This is what is in the Dayton box.  From what I can tell, this is a higer power version of the TA series in most of the older Tripath models.

I really like the idea of a low power and clean amp, but I'll have to dig more.  The other option is to buy a TK2050 kit and put it into a box myself.

Richard
Update: I fixed the amp.  It was a bad/loose solder connection on one of the inductors.  I discovered it by moving components and seeing channel cut in/out.

This amp sounds really good to my ears.  Be aware that the headphone output is nothing special, just a regular opamp.  I expected it to be an (attenuated) version of the speaker output, but no such luck.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »
Nice going on figuring it out and fixing it! Are you using the amp with speakers or strictly headphones? Do you have any speakers to recommend?

You said that the max power is more around 30 watts so why do they advertise at 50watts? Would this be the same equivalent of a band new formatted hard drive where a 50gig is not 50 but close to mid 40s?

Thanks!

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
Nice going on figuring it out and fixing it! Are you using the amp with speakers or strictly headphones? Do you have any speakers to recommend?

You said that the max power is more around 30 watts so why do they advertise at 50watts? Would this be the same equivalent of a band new formatted hard drive where a 50gig is not 50 but close to mid 40s?

Thanks!
I use with speakers only.
These amps all distort when turned up.  The interesting thing is, unlike some other amps, at low power they have *very* low distortion.  Other (non digital) amps are often the opposite - high distortion at lower levels.

Anyway, between 0 and 30W the Dayton amp sounds great!

Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.256 seconds with 103 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com