Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: noob question about turntables  (Read 3949 times)

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
noob question about turntables
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
I have a turntable I picked up several years back and have been using lightly to play records. As of yesterday, the needle jumps all the way to the center groove of the record within a few moments of dropping it. Instinct tells me I need to re-balance the arm--would this be correct?
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

mfrench

Re: noob question about turntables
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »
Yes to a rebalance, if nothing else has changed.
I have a bunch of questions to start out with,.... they are pertinent to the issue.

Anti-skating - where are you at for adjustment?
Clean needle? 
Age/Wear? 
Type? 
Is the table level?
Any recent changes that you've committed?

Offline rhinowing

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
new needle was put on when I got it in 2007. Otherwise, it is not in *great* shape, but everything still works. I think it's from the early 70s -- It has an 8-track built in and quad-output capabilities. it also has one of those auto-changer arms.

It's an ICP SKT-838 Solid State...I've tried looking it up online, but haven't found any references to the brand.

I am pretty sure the arm just got off-balance though, possibly when the desk it was on got bumped yesterday
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

mfrench

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »
Changers,....
Scads of moving parts, and old grease.  The grease cakes and parts start to falter.
If you can get under the hood, check the tonearm wires to make sure they haven't been tangled up in something

Are you familiar with the balancing steps?
~ zero-out, or remove any anti-skating mechanisms
~ float the arm at neutral horizontal attitude by adjusting the counterweight until the arm floats at horizontal.
~ Add vertical tracking force load (VTF) to the needle.
Typically this is around 2grams, +- a couple of 10ths of a grams (from 1.5gr low side to 2.5gr high side, typical averages - 2.0gr lands you right in the middle in safe ground.). An older US penny weighs just over 2gr; so if no scale available, float the arm, and apply a penny to the headshell; works.
~ Reset your anti-skating mechanism values.

You might find a reference for it at the vinylengine website. They have a bunch of manuals and service manuals there. You'll need to join in order to d/l any files.
Its a website just like here.

runonce

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Changers,....
Scads of moving parts, and old grease.  The grease cakes and parts start to falter.
If you can get under the hood, check the tonearm wires to make sure they haven't been tangled up in something

~ float the arm at neutral horizontal attitude by adjusting the counterweight until the arm floats at horizontal.
Typically this is around 2grams, +- a couple of 10ths of a grams (from 1.5gr low side to 2.5gr high side, typical averages - 2.0gr lands you right in the middle in safe ground.). An older US penny weighs just over 2gr; so if no scale available, float the arm, and apply a penny to the headshell; works.

You might find a reference for it at the vinylengine website. They have a bunch of manuals and service manuals there. You'll need to join in order to d/l any files.

Sage advice...assume the position.

Offline rhinowing

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
Changers,....

Sage advice...assume the position.

yeah -- I think it's about time I take it into get serviced. Would love to keep it working since it's got an 8-track player as well.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
 Classic skate

Check:

Needle condition
Stylus force
Anti skate adjustment, if any

Good place to start -
http://www.wikifaq.com/Turntable_FAQ
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com