Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New CA-9200 pre  (Read 8628 times)

Offline Lonman

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Aiko NY
New CA-9200 pre
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
Looking for the answer to the  100db roll off switch on-off location in Chris' new pre. Would appreciate someone who might have received theirs to look into the battery compartment, while face up and open end towards you, to tell me if when switch is to the right is off and to the left is on????? I just wanted to be sure before I disable it in the off position to reduce the possibility of it switched on by accident.
Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New CA-9200 pre
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »
I had the same problem with my CA-9200. Chris said there was supposed to be an on/off label.

Surprisingly (to me anyway) he e-mailed me: "its possible the label fell off.  If that's the case you will have to plug the mics in and use your breath to figure it out sorry! because there is no standard side". I found it surprising that there wouldn't be a standard side. The right side was off on the CA-9100.

I wasn't exactly sure what he meant, but I held the mics about 18 inches from my mouth and blew into them as hard as I could. When the switch was one way the levels easily went over 0 db and when the switch was the other way they peaked at -6 dB or so. I assumed that the position where the levels went over 0 dB was off.

In my case, left turned out to be off, unlike the case with my CA-9100.

It does seem to be a great pre, though, although I haven't had a chance to use it in the field yet.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:32:21 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »
Looking for the answer to the  100db roll off switch on-off location in Chris' new pre. Would appreciate someone who might have received theirs to look into the battery compartment, while face up and open end towards you, to tell me if when switch is to the right is off and to the left is on????? I just wanted to be sure before I disable it in the off position to reduce the possibility of it switched on by accident.
Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Nobody is sure what way is off because they are all different thats why I put a sticker inside the battery comp... If you take the foam off the bat comp you will see a I and a O

0 = off  1 = on other than that the only other way is with your ears.

Also it would be cool if my bass roll off was 100 db :) but with out the aid of a DSP I dont think that would be possible in a analog circuit at least not one that would fit into such a small box.  ;D

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Lonman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Aiko NY
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys. I also recognized that my 9100 was opposite and that is why I was confused. Maybe my sticker came of in the bag since the battery compartment had opened and  I threw the bag away with the sticker in it. ?  I will check for the I and O and also confirm using the mics.
fmaderjr I have not used it yet either but will give it a good work out next week at the JoVal Festival in boston next week. I really think it is perfect in design...trim capable and doing alot of bluegrass and acoustic music the extra gain is really needed. I am always needing 35 -40  when trying to keeps the decks at unity.

Happy taping and Chris please let me know when you ship out the CA-11s
Thanks again,
Lon

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
I didn't get a sticker or foam with mine (the battery was rattling around like crazy).

It was easy to add foam myself and I think I figured out which way the switch goes for off.

It really is a nice little pre. I loved the 9100, but not enough gain for acoustic.... Now that the 9200 is available, I'd recommend that one unless all you do is loud stuff. Then the 9100 is perfect- the clip light on the 9100 may give some peace of mind for loud stuff. I never really had to look at it though.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Lonman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Aiko NY
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
I agree with the need for gain doing acoustic music. That is the same reason for using doing super mod on the FR2LE. It seems I always need to push the deck higher unless I have at least 35db. I am excited to use it next week. I will post a note on the results but suspect it will be great like most of CHris' stuff. Gotta love it!

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
I agree with the need for gain doing acoustic music.

seconded, for taping jazz as well.
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
I didn't get a sticker or foam with mine (the battery was rattling around like crazy).

It was easy to add foam myself and I think I figured out which way the switch goes for off.

It really is a nice little pre. I loved the 9100, but not enough gain for acoustic.... Now that the 9200 is available, I'd recommend that one unless all you do is loud stuff. Then the 9100 is perfect- the clip light on the 9100 may give some peace of mind for loud stuff. I never really had to look at it though.

Your mics are on the way to you as is some foam :) For your preamp and a HPF sticker. Sorry about that.

Chris

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
Thanks, Chris!

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »
guess I hadn't heard about the 9200. Is it the same size as the 9100 (for those who have both)? Or, could you post a pic of the two? Nothing wrong with  a little Church pr0n is there?   :D

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
guess I hadn't heard about the 9200. Is it the same size as the 9100 (for those who have both)? Or, could you post a pic of the two? Nothing wrong with  a little Church pr0n is there?   :D

It is exactly the same size up to 45 db of gain 1 output level control one gain control with 6 positions. Other custom gains available at request.

Offline klingklang

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »
Thought I'd post on this older thread because I had the same question.  Except in the 9200 I have, the switch either has nothing written or it has what appears to be a "10" or "01."  So I am assuming that I should have the switch in the position where there is nothing written to turn the bass roll off off?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 12:18:52 AM »
Thought I'd post on this older thread because I had the same question.  Except in the 9200 I have, the switch either has nothing written or it has what appears to be a "10" or "01."  So I am assuming that I should have the switch in the position where there is nothing written to turn the bass roll off off?

There should be a label inside the preamp that has an ON HPF OFF on it. If not I could have missed it. Just take a pair of headphones breathe into the mics and listen for the difference with it off you will hear slightly less low end on the air going into the mics.

Offline klingklang

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 03:40:15 AM »
Thank you for the info, Chris.  There is no label (and it kind of threw me off that there wasn't a O or a 1). I noticed fmaderjr mentioned that method you suggested to him as well, so I will give that a go. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »
Thank you for the info, Chris.  There is no label (and it kind of threw me off that there wasn't a O or a 1). I noticed fmaderjr mentioned that method you suggested to him as well, so I will give that a go.

I guess I did not put a label on that one. It does happen from time to time email me your address and I will send you a label sorry about that.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.364 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com