Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack dongle/cable/plugs  (Read 4118 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Microtrack dongle/cable/plugs
« on: April 01, 2006, 05:12:12 AM »
Hello,

For the MT I use the 1/4" inputs.
If I use the el-cheapo mono 1/4" jack plugs the whole construction gets slightly too long.
After asking around here I got me a cable with 2 Switchcraft right angle 1/4" jacks. They are narrow enough for the MT and look great.
Only issue is that slight axial movement of the right angle plugs causes noises etc.

So I am back to contemplating a new plug setup ending in a cable.
I need good contact without movement with the added protection of a short angled setup.
So either shorter Switchcraft-like plugs or a dongle, etc.

What would be the right choice?
Stuff needs to be small, yet perform well.

For a dongle I could use the metal parts of the el-cheapo straight 1/4" jacks, use a piece of plexiglas or similar, drill 2 holes (diameter, heart distance?) and mount the parts (need a metal ring that goes onto where the plastic housing used to go).
Doable but is it good enough?

Please give me your comments.

Thanks,
Udo

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Microtrack dongle/cable/plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »
suggest just tossing the cable relief hardware on the 1/4" plugs and after soldering your cable wires to the plugs, use some hot glue to mold right-angle form to the plug with hot glue strain relief.

Do this for each plug to work alone on the cables; better than trying to tie these together as to go in as one assembly because if it isn't perfectly aligned, the TRS jacks will get stressed to maybe break something on the board they're soldered to.  To to my site to see how this can look on the MT deck.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 10:46:23 AM »
suggest just tossing the cable relief hardware on the 1/4" plugs and after soldering your cable wires to the plugs, use some hot glue to mold right-angle form to the plug with hot glue strain relief.

Do this for each plug to work alone on the cables; better than trying to tie these together as to go in as one assembly because if it isn't perfectly aligned, the TRS jacks will get stressed to maybe break something on the board they're soldered to.  To to my site to see how this can look on the MT deck.
I see your idea but cannot yet find it on the site.
If I can get the alignment OK I could try the dongle route. Maybe use triplex instead of perspex? (easier to drill etc)

Offline jcme262

• Taperssection Member
  • Zinky gave me permanent tinnitus
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:09:27 AM »

I see your idea but cannot yet find it on the site.
If I can get the alignment OK I could try the dongle route. Maybe use triplex instead of perspex? (easier to drill etc)

Took me a while to locate, to much info.

Nice but way to spendy

http://www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 11:14:40 AM by jcme262 »
Quote from: Zaphod link=action=profile;u=390
Crowd chatter isn't terrible. But yeah we did have roving packs of hoes camping under the stand.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »
Those short angled 1/4" TR jacks look like what I need!
Where could I get these?

Offline jcme262

• Taperssection Member
  • Zinky gave me permanent tinnitus
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 01:24:11 PM »
At the link above or

SP has something close with different input options as well.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ISI-SPA-1
Quote from: Zaphod link=action=profile;u=390
Crowd chatter isn't terrible. But yeah we did have roving packs of hoes camping under the stand.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 08:56:02 AM »
Sent an email to Sonic Studio's....

What kind of stuff is that around the 1/4" jack plugs where the cable exits?
Where in Europe/Benelux can I get it?

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 10:30:04 AM »
What kind of stuff is that around the 1/4" jack plugs where the cable exits?

From his earlier post it may just be hot glue or epoxy. Glue guns and sticks are readily available in hobby shops in uk http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45727&criteria=glue%20gun&doy=2m4 although I'd buy a 240V one personally. I was amazed after buying one just how many uses I've put it to.

Anyway regarding your original post
got me a cable with 2 Switchcraft right angle 1/4" jacks. They are narrow enough for the MT and look great.
Only issue is that slight axial movement of the right angle plugs causes noises etc.

I'm not convinced that a solution like the one above from sonic studios is really what your after, since  essentially the bodies of the plugs aren't linked (except by the jumper lead) you may well still get movement noise. Although I'd have to say they certainly look elegant.
For my money what you need is a dongle ala Freelunch http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51031.msg663650#msg663650 because the two plugs are linked they ain't going anywhere so no noise. I followed his design and have come up with something I'm really happy with costing less than £6 in parts, I'll post pictures later.

Just out of curiosity what are you running in front of the MT?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:32:09 AM by cybermansrev »

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:12:09 PM »
The movement comes, I guess, from the long right angle part that goes into the cable.
If that 'arm' is shorter, there will be less movement.

With a short jack like the sonicstudio jacks I could run the cable over the back and tape it there or use whatever.

A dongle is the most rigid solution but requires good aligment of the holes, etc.
Help would be very welcome!

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 05:21:33 PM »
I really didn't find making a dongle too tricky. Here's some pics of my ugly dongle

I'd decide that I only wanted to make one dongle for most uses so I felt that a switch on the 1/8" input for plug in power and the 1/8" socket were justified. Of course if I'm going to use phantom power I'll make another with just 2 TRS 1/4".

To make it all I did was find a small piece of plastic around the house (it actually came from the bottom of an old case), I cut it to size, plugged  the jacks into their respective sockets. Placed the piece of plastic in front the jacks and marked the centre of each jack on the edge of the plastic (in the frontal plane), i then placed the plastic on top of the jacks to give the centre on the lateral view (note 1/8" jack is slightly anterior to the 1/4"'s). Now having found the centre of each jack I drilled the holes which were just the right size to allow the jacks to screw into the relatively soft plastic and cut it's own thread. Then i plugged the assembly into the MT to make sure it fitted.

Following this I wired up the jacks, socket and a switch to turn on/off the plug in power from the 1/8" to the 2X 1/4"'s. Plug it in to check it works. Then I made a mold with with electrical tape around the edges of the plastic and filled it with hot glue. Finally covering the whole thing with electrical tape for my own odd bodgers asthetic, with the all important dollop of the wife's nail varnish to indicate the on position of the swich.

Oh I should note at the start i took the cheap 1/4" TS jacks I had and cut down the posts to which the wires insert and drilled new holes much closer to the base of the jacks to save space.
All in all if you have a soldering iron, some wires, electrical tape, hot glue, a drill it's a pretty easy bodge and there will definatly be no noise due to movement.

Of course if you're only using two 1/4" jack the builds even easier all you have to do is space your drill holes centred 14mm (from my measuement) apart thats all that matters!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 10:02:13 PM »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 01:02:59 AM »
Does anybody recognise the jack plus in the sonic studio's pics??
If so: where could I get a few of these?

[image added]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 11:28:14 AM by udovdh »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com