Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 77682 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2019, 07:54:00 AM »
You just need a usb-c male to male cable, the shorter the better.

Bingo!
Doesn't get me full power, but I'm only running 2 channels of phantom, so works for my need.

If you can, get a USB battery pack that has USB-c output. With a USB-c to USB-c cable, I get 12 hours of full power on my MixPre 6 using 2 channels of phantom.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »
Is the consensus that 3.03 is stable for "what we do?" I'm still on 2.21 and was going to update, but wanted to check first...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
I'm on 3.02 and as long as you don't use pre-roll it's fine.  I have no use for pre-roll and haven't tested but have seen reports of issues.....
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »
I'm on 3.02 and as long as you don't use pre-roll it's fine.  I have no use for pre-roll and haven't tested but have seen reports of issues.....

I had issues with pre-roll creating a small gap between files, so I reverted to 3.02 and have had no problems.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline lovebuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2019, 01:22:21 PM »
Ugh, I haven't read all these threads but I had an issue withe MP6 last night.  I was recording room mics and stereo SBD signal.  CH 1-2 SBD, CH 3-4 Mic's.  At first I had 1-2 set to mic with phantom power and 3-4 line.  The first few minutes of  soundcheck has the SBD ok, however when I stopped the recorder and changed 3-4 to mic w/ phantom power and 1-2 to line the entire recording is the room mic's.  Ch1-6 are all room mic's.  I had used basic mode prior for an event last weekend and changed to custom last night.

Is this a user error or a glitch?  I haven't used the (new for me) mode settings much.  I usually leave it on advanced or custom, not sure which, but I don't use basic often.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
Sounds like a routing error. When I first got my MP6 I attached a battery pack and just screwed around with it for hours. I wanted to get to know it well enough that anything that came up I could handle. I used my phone MP3 player as the line in and my Naiant omnis as the P48 mics. I tried every combination I could think of. Then I made pre-sets for every combination of gear that I had. Unfortunately, I forgot some of the menu choices and will have to go back to re-learn them, as I've gotten lazy since I only deal with the pre-sets now.

Good luck. I'm sure someone with a better memory than mine can tell you what menu items address your issue.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »
Ugh, I haven't read all these threads but I had an issue withe MP6 last night.  I was recording room mics and stereo SBD signal.  CH 1-2 SBD, CH 3-4 Mic's.  At first I had 1-2 set to mic with phantom power and 3-4 line.  The first few minutes of  soundcheck has the SBD ok, however when I stopped the recorder and changed 3-4 to mic w/ phantom power and 1-2 to line the entire recording is the room mic's.  Ch1-6 are all room mic's.  I had used basic mode prior for an event last weekend and changed to custom last night.

Is this a user error or a glitch?  I haven't used the (new for me) mode settings much.  I usually leave it on advanced or custom, not sure which, but I don't use basic often.

Are you aware the recording is a poly file? Have you opened the file and looked at the individual tracks, and seen only 3-4 or only 1-2? Do the files all look identical? Did you record the mix also? Does that look identical?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline lovebuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2019, 02:11:53 PM »
Sounds like a routing error.

Yeah, may be some glitch that when I changed line/mic settings it recorded 3-4 as all the tracks. Probably should have powered off the recorder.  The SBD and Mic levels displayed were different, but the recorded files are all the same.

Offline lovebuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »

Are you aware the recording is a poly file? Have you opened the file and looked at the individual tracks, and seen only 3-4 or only 1-2? Do the files all look identical? Did you record the mix also? Does that look identical?

1-6 are all L/R room mic's.  I powered off the recorder between sets and set 2 is also all room mic's.

MP6 displays a note when changing modes that says "turn all knobs to off, expect channel changes..." ( I did not do that).  Still, the SBD signal was recorded when 1-2 were set at mic level with phantom power.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:46:40 PM by lovebuzz »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »
Have you separated out the stereo pairs and listened to them or are you listening to the RAW WAV which combines all the tracks into one?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
I have to say I am a little confused about the details of hat you were doing.

You were basic mode recently. You switched to custom mode for this event. Did you chose everything advanced but gain basic, etc when doing so? Did you format the card so you didnt end up with some other preset? You then connected 1-2 to SBD even though phantom was on and the channels were set to Microphone? After soundcheck, you switched the microphones to 1-2  and the SBD patch to 1-2? After doing so, your polywav recording for 1-2 and 3-4 are only the from the microphones? No SBD? Are 1-2 and 3-4 duplicates of each other?

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2019, 07:19:26 PM »

1-6 are all L/R room mic's.  I powered off the recorder between sets and set 2 is also all room mic's.

Sound Devices combines their files into Polywave files. All he files are combined and have to be separated which they have a tool for or many programs will do. Have you done this? This is different than most recorders. If you just play the recorded file it'll play and seem like a regular file but it is all the files combined.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:21:09 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline lovebuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »

I'll send a message to SD customer service.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:22:31 AM by lovebuzz »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2019, 07:29:28 AM »

I'll send a message to SD customer service.

Did you split the polywave?

If not, the problem here is user error.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2019, 03:19:44 AM »
i have a few noob questions, FW 2.21. ive read a bunch but jsut need to conform some things to make sure im not missing anything:

1. i just want to record the iso channels, no interest in eating up sdcard space with the mixdown tracks. i want to use the knobs as input gain not output bus faders. is this method posted earlier in the threads still the preferred way:

" in Custom mode, if you set "Gain" to "Basic" but leave "Channel" on "Advanced" (and Record on Advanced like Paul said) then that approaches what we want to do. Namely in this mode it seems like the channel faders do act like gain pots (albeit with the modified -14-96db range), but since the channel is in advanced mode you still have access to all of the other channel settings like full pan, low cut settings, and linking."'

also are we 100% sure this actually controls input gain?

2. is there anyway to bypass limiters in basic gain, seems like you could do it in "advanced gain" but then you lose the functionality described in #1 above.

3. is there a way to playback iso files through the headphone out (if you didnt record the L+R output bus), i cant figure this out

thanks!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 06:14:50 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com