Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR-680 and Battery Power  (Read 18870 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: DR-680 and Battery Power
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
Hey Ian sent you a couple Emails and PM's are you not getting them???

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
I have had luck with Bixnet batteries and this one looks really nice for the price:

http://www.bixnet.com/exnobapo80.html

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 02:37:43 AM »
I have had luck with Bixnet batteries and this one looks really nice for the price:

http://www.bixnet.com/exnobapo80.html

Damn Louie
that one looks great!
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
I'm officially back in the business of hauling Lead to shows... should be a nice workout!

Picked up a 4.5aH SLA which is a bit on the small side if I want to power both my 680 and AD2K (lasts roughly 2.75 hours until the AD2K craps out), but damn it feels good knowing that I am using the cleanest of power sources. The 4.5aH batt fits perfectly into the bag to!

Still need to pickup a 7.2aH battery for those long shows; the eco-charge 'top' I got from Ed is freaking sweet... such great power supplies.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 10:40:17 PM »
Here's what I think....

- There is definitely an issue with external batteries and this unit. Too many user reported issues and non-functional decks not to be
- Tekkeon's set to auto (or other high voltage sources) can fry the mobo instantly (sys rom error)
- DVD batteries seems to work, but could create subtle issues that, while less serious, can be about as annoying as a bricked unit
- Tascam support in the US has been helpful in repairing/replacing units, but has never issued a root cause for the MANY decks that are experiencing issues
- When the deck is functioning correctly, there is no better cost/functionality unit on the market.

A good assessment.  :coolguy:

Seconded.  When using an external power supply, there just doesn't seem to be any consistency about what will safely and reliably power this deck.  Some people can run 12v, some can't; some people can run 9v, some can't...

i have run the 680 with an external battery at 12v and 9v... results are pretty much the same... krappy! 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 12:28:28 AM »
I'm officially back in the business of hauling Lead to shows... should be a nice workout!

Picked up a 4.5aH SLA which is a bit on the small side if I want to power both my 680 and AD2K (lasts roughly 2.75 hours until the AD2K craps out), but damn it feels good knowing that I am using the cleanest of power sources. The 4.5aH batt fits perfectly into the bag to!

Still need to pickup a 7.2aH battery for those long shows; the eco-charge 'top' I got from Ed is freaking sweet... such great power supplies.

I miss SLA's. I used to haul around [4] 6v/7.2a Ecocharges back in the day for festies! What a workout that used to be :P ;D 8) :) If you want consistent power supplies, go w/ SLA's ;) If I were Louie and was running that new Tascam 8 chan deck, I would DEF run a big ole 12v SLA :) 8) ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 12:29:23 AM »
And I give you folks running these 680's alot of balls and credit, because there is NO FREAKIN WAY I would/could run something as unreliable as the 680 :P ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

cashandkerouac

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
And I give you folks running these 680's alot of balls and credit, because there is NO FREAKIN WAY I would/could run something as unreliable as the 680 :P ;D

yeah, the 680 was by far the worst puchase i have made in a long time.   >:(

not much i can do other than move on and get over it.  a very expensive lesson learned.   

kirk97132

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »
Bean I've been running 680's since they came out,  rock solid and believe me the one deck I put a physical BEATING on at one point.  I know there are people here with deck that gave them issues but just because that you constantly read the same bad times does not make it a bad deck.   What there are maybe 5 decks that have been bad and by the owners own admission some of that could be caused by improper battery power.  How many deck out there running fine?  A lot more than you will ever hear about.  I'm sure if I had gotten a bad unit I'd be pissed too, still don't make 'em all bad.  I bet if you searched you could find 5 744t's that were bad out of the box, but you don't see anyone saying the 744's are bad decks.   The more the same story gets repeated...Bad 680...the more people think it's another story about another bad deck.  I just don't think it's warranted to trash a certain model because of this.  I have had two of them.  FLAWLESS performance.  Would buy another in a heartbeat.  Great sound, great features at a great price.  I'd say of you don't like it don't buy it, but to not buy it due to the continued bashing from people ....some of who do not even own the deck is ludicrous.  Do your own homework.....make your decisions to buy or not to buy based on facts and probably price point.  It's real easy to say...Oh I heard this guy had a bad deck you better stay away from that.....but how is that an accurate piece of advice if you have not had the chance to run the deck?   I think half of this "BAD" rep is only because of situations like that NOT from people who have actually owned the deck.  OK that turned into a rant...sorry bout that but really I know more people here on TS who have NOT had problems than people who have had a problem.  Yet you would think that every one of these decks is bad by the reaction you get as soon as you mention 680.  Don't believe me just look on the archive for 680 and you'll find a bunch of my recording and many many others   And believe me I really feel for the guys who got a lemon or had a problem even if it was due to a battery issue.  That sucks, since I think it's a great deck you never got a chance to enjoy.  I also think you should post your story about the deck to keep things true and maybe even force a step up in QC at Tascam. 

cashandkerouac

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »
Bean I've been running 680's since they came out,  rock solid and believe me the one deck I put a physical BEATING on at one point.  I know there are people here with deck that gave them issues but just because that you constantly read the same bad times does not make it a bad deck.   What there are maybe 5 decks that have been bad and by the owners own admission some of that could be caused by improper battery power.  How many deck out there running fine?  A lot more than you will ever hear about.  I'm sure if I had gotten a bad unit I'd be pissed too, still don't make 'em all bad.  I bet if you searched you could find 5 744t's that were bad out of the box, but you don't see anyone saying the 744's are bad decks.   The more the same story gets repeated...Bad 680...the more people think it's another story about another bad deck.  I just don't think it's warranted to trash a certain model because of this.  I have had two of them.  FLAWLESS performance.  Would buy another in a heartbeat.  Great sound, great features at a great price.  I'd say of you don't like it don't buy it, but to not buy it due to the continued bashing from people ....some of who do not even own the deck is ludicrous.  Do your own homework.....make your decisions to buy or not to buy based on facts and probably price point.  It's real easy to say...Oh I heard this guy had a bad deck you better stay away from that.....but how is that an accurate piece of advice if you have not had the chance to run the deck?   I think half of this "BAD" rep is only because of situations like that NOT from people who have actually owned the deck.  OK that turned into a rant...sorry bout that but really I know more people here on TS who have NOT had problems than people who have had a problem.  Yet you would think that every one of these decks is bad by the reaction you get as soon as you mention 680.  Don't believe me just look on the archive for 680 and you'll find a bunch of my recording and many many others   And believe me I really feel for the guys who got a lemon or had a problem even if it was due to a battery issue.  That sucks, since I think it's a great deck you never got a chance to enjoy.  I also think you should post your story about the deck to keep things true and maybe even force a step up in QC at Tascam.

Kirk:  I've had two 680s and the have had the same result.  i'm glad yours works, because i agree that it has great features and capabilities for the money.  however, with external battery power they just are not reliable (in most cases).  if you're ever looking for another 680 i'll be glad to sell you mine (with the Busman mods) at a very fair price.

Offline CCAMP

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »
Sorry to chime in late,

I use the 680 for SFX for film. It is a silly box but I have captured everything from classical music to rockets and for the price its not bad.
I mainly use it with the DPA 5100.

I too had problems with EXT power and found a solution just in case your Tekken solution fails.

I use the ID-X Lithium Batterey with a frezzi adaptor
All 6 tracks running phantom rock solid for over 5 hours on a single charge

Hope the info helps...

Best

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »
So I just received my 680. Has anyone found anything that has been working in the last 14 months since this was topic was last active. I've been reading through the 680 threads but they are very hard to turn up search results and 150 pages is a whole lot to go through manually.

I had planned on the Tekkeon route when I first thought of downsizing to this deck but, I have to admit that I'm pretty scared by the results I'm reading about here, though I don't think that the MP3450i R3 was out when this was last active. Basically I'm just looking for advice now that y'all have had a few years with these decks.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
Just picked up a 680. Thinking about these two for power: any feedback on either?

http://www.thebatterygeeks.com/BG-9-12-66-Portable-DVD-Player-Battery-p/9-12-66.htm

http://www.thebatterygeeks.com/BG-6-12-44-Portable-DVD-Player-Battery-Pack-p/5-12-50.htm

Responding to a very old post here, but I use the 10-14-115, which is a bit bigger than the 9-12-66 and it's awesome. Will power the 680 forever! The 66 is probably a better fit for most non-festival situations.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
So I just received my 680. Has anyone found anything that has been working in the last 14 months since this was topic was last active. I've been reading through the 680 threads but they are very hard to turn up search results and 150 pages is a whole lot to go through manually.

I had planned on the Tekkeon route when I first thought of downsizing to this deck but, I have to admit that I'm pretty scared by the results I'm reading about here, though I don't think that the MP3450i R3 was out when this was last active. Basically I'm just looking for advice now that y'all have had a few years with these decks.

A 9v DVD battery is a fine option, but my recommendation would be the 10-14-115 from battery geeks which I just linked to. A tekkeon w/o auto-sensing voltage is -probably- ok, but I would only go that route if you absolutely need the usb output to run another unit simultaneously with the 680.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com