Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tekkeon mp 3450's are garbage. Back to the drawing board for power for my V3.  (Read 15288 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
the stock units have either 2000 or 2200mAh cells in them.  I don't think running it at lower voltage makes any difference, it just makes the voltage regulator work more.  (I think)  BUt I have one I redid for myself and so far so good.  It's only bout 6 months old now.  IF you want to talk about referb them or even just getting rid of them hit me up.  You can see lots of info and pictures in retail section ( http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.0 )

How much do you think it would cost to refurb them? I have nothing to lose to have you try at this point.

Sorry didn't see the post till today  Tekkeon battery referb.  My labor and shipping back to you comes to 25.50 total (20labor + 5.50shipping).  You get the batteries and send them to me.  So you are welcome to find the best deal possible on battery price. The Panasonics have been a stand out as far as quality, Sony's do well too.  Most off brandsare ok but don't quite live up to the super high specs that they publish.  ULTRAFIRE is JUNK DO NOT BUY.  I have used the off brands and the panasonics in some of my own stuff and the panasonics outperformed batteries with high listed amperage's.   

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
the stock units have either 2000 or 2200mAh cells in them.  I don't think running it at lower voltage makes any difference, it just makes the voltage regulator work more.  (I think)  BUt I have one I redid for myself and so far so good.  It's only bout 6 months old now.  IF you want to talk about referb them or even just getting rid of them hit me up.  You can see lots of info and pictures in retail section ( http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.0 )

How much do you think it would cost to refurb them? I have nothing to lose to have you try at this point.

Sorry didn't see the post till today  Tekkeon battery referb.  My labor and shipping back to you comes to 25.50 total (20labor + 5.50shipping).  You get the batteries and send them to me.  So you are welcome to find the best deal possible on battery price. The Panasonics have been a stand out as far as quality, Sony's do well too.  Most off brandsare ok but don't quite live up to the super high specs that they publish.  ULTRAFIRE is JUNK DO NOT BUY.  I have used the off brands and the panasonics in some of my own stuff and the panasonics outperformed batteries with high listed amperage's.   

Okay, my packages from Bennett and Ted arrived today so I now have an option other than these unreliable door stops. A part of me want to send you two and take a video with my new iPhone 5 of me smashing the remaining one with a hammer.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

stevetoney

Okay, my packages from Bennett and Ted arrived today so I now have an option other than these unreliable door stops. A part of me want to send you two and take a video with my new iPhone 5 of me smashing the remaining one with a hammer.

Keep the batteries and hammer the apple juice out of that iphone Jeff.  ;)

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member

You coming to EFF again?

stevetoney

You coming to EFF again?

I'm pretty sure we'll be there, Jeff. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings

You coming to EFF again?

Thats the answer I wanted to hear ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member

You coming to EFF again?

Cool. No VIP for me this year.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings

You coming to EFF again?

Cool. No VIP for me this year.

Shit,nthe regular tix r expensive enuf for me ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

cashandkerouac

i just experienced the "death" of my first Tekkeon 3450.  the unit was purchased in early 2011 and has never had an issue.  it was most recently used in late October 2013 with no sign of trouble.  i pulled it out of the bag on new year's day to run some home tests, hooked it up to the charger and in about 5 minutes the charger light turned green.  it struck me as very odd because the charge only showed three (3) lights when i hooked it to the charger. 

when i checked the charge on the battery while still hooked to the charger all the lights lit up showing a full charge.  when i removed it from the charger and checked the amount of charge on the battery it was back to showing only three (3) lights.  i hooked it back up to the charger and it showed the charge was at 100%. 

not knowing if it was the battery or the charger i hooked up a different 3450 to the same charger and it charged normally.  i then tried the 1st 3450 with a different charger and got the same wacky behavior as before. 

i assume that something went bad with the circuitry, but i have no idea what could have happened.  in October the battery worked fine and charged normally.  since then it has just been sitting in the gear bag.  i guess this is a friendly reminder to check battery status in between uses.  if i was at a festival relying on this battery based on it's previous performance i would have been screwed.       
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:31:09 PM by bass_ur_face »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
i just experienced the "death" of my first Tekkeon 3450.  the unit was purchased in early 2011 and has never had an issue.  it was most recently used in late October 2013 with no sign of trouble.   

Please don't take this as me being a dick as I'm not intending it; I don't trust lithium that is older than 2-3 years.

Now, the circuitry could be bad, sure, but the battery is at the EOL for a lithium compound battery. Doing a refurb with new cells is the best bet (assuming the circuitry hasn't been fried or damaged).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
i just experienced the "death" of my first Tekkeon 3450.  the unit was purchased in early 2011 and has never had an issue.  it was most recently used in late October 2013 with no sign of trouble.   

Please don't take this as me being a dick as I'm not intending it; I don't trust lithium that is older than 2-3 years.

Now, the circuitry could be bad, sure, but the battery is at the EOL for a lithium compound battery. Doing a refurb with new cells is the best bet (assuming the circuitry hasn't been fried or damaged).

I agree. That battery is probably EOL, even if used sparingly.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Are Tekkeon 3450's what Grace offered for external power.

My first unit died shortly out of warranty, Tekkeon honored replacing it and the replacement has worked fine for over a year now.  Knock on wood will keep running. Been considering picking up the "i" version to use as primary and using the standard version as a backup.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

cashandkerouac

I agree. That battery is probably EOL, even if used sparingly.

wow, i didn't know that lithium-ion batteries would be at EOL in such a short period.  i bought the battery in 2011, and it mainly got used at festivals or all-day outings.  when it got used it got used for long durations, but the overall frequency of use was moderate.  i guess that's just how it goes sometimes.  my other MP3450 was purchased in 2012, so i'll see how long this one lasts compared to the one that just died.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
but the battery is at the EOL for a lithium compound battery.

For all lithium batteries?
I have several RB-270/everyone's_favorite_wallyworld_DVD_batteries that beg to differ as all 4 of mine still hold a charge and are good for at least three hours (I seldom record sets/shows longer than 3 hours). For those few occasions longer than three hours I use a batterygeeks 10-14-88 - which is also lithium based and well past three years old.

Now I'll have an annoying "when will these die" every time I take them out for use.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
but the battery is at the EOL for a lithium compound battery.

For all lithium batteries?
I have several RB-270/everyone's_favorite_wallyworld_DVD_batteries that beg to differ as all 4 of mine still hold a charge and are good for at least three hours (I seldom record sets/shows longer than 3 hours). For those few occasions longer than three hours I use a batterygeeks 10-14-88 - which is also lithium based and well past three years old.

You should get a cable maker to make you a parallel hot-swap power cable, and you wouldn't have to lug the 10-14-88

I'll save your sanity to swap cells when you see two lights..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com