Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying to understand sound board rules/ettiquette  (Read 8270 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Trying to understand sound board rules/ettiquette
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
Never patch at shows, why bother, just let the mics fly.

:)

Yes, 90% of the time I do this.  Simplest, and often the best sound anyway.

In a small room, sometimes I take a board feed just as "insurance", occasionally using it to bump up the vocals, either because they are low in the mix or to overcome some chatter.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »
Ettiquette rule #1.  Never touch the board. ;D
Ettiquette rule #2.  Don't accidentally feed the board phantom power.
Ettiquette rule #3.  Take what you get, say thank you, and if it sucks, keep your mouth shut.

Ettiquette rule #4.  Never plug in to AC power, run cables in/around the board, or even set up a stand without asking the house engineer first.  Sort of a subset of rule #1 but basically not touching the board to many house engineers means stay the hell out of their space and don't touch a damn thing anywhere near them until you introduce yourself, ask politely, and get the go-ahead.

Ettiquette rule #5. Never use duct tape - leave that stuff at home for fixing your furnace.  Buy a roll of gaffer's tape, preferably black, use it sparingly as needed, don't tape anything to the sbd or any of the house equipment without asking first, and clean up your mess when the show is over.

Ettiquette rule #6. Offer to make the house or band soundman a copy of the recording, and then actually follow through and send it to them. 

QFT
+T Dan
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »
Ettiquette rule #4.  Never ... even set up a stand without asking the house engineer first.

Ettiquette rule #6. Offer to make the house or band soundman a copy of the recording, and then actually follow through and send it to them. 

I'm just getting started taping and Rule #4 is something that I've been wondering about.  I've got an R-09 and my mics should get here in the next week or so, but I've already taped a couple of shows from a soundboard patch.  The first one was ruined (completely my fault) because the soundboard was behind the stage (it was in a small bar) and I had to give the soundman the R-09 and wasn't able to adjust the levels and they were set way too high.  The other patch was in another small bar, but I was able to sit in front of the board and keep an eye on things.  I didn't have the correct cable for a stereo patch (a 1/8" to double 1/4") but he was nice enough to let me one that he had with him.  I told the band that I'd give them a copy, but I never thought to give one to the soundman too (he works for the bar, not the band). 

Offline 6079

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »
A new question for this:  Is it reasonable for a band to ask a soundman (small, local venue; not friends with) to provide a soundboard mix for them?  It seems like it'd be an easier route to get the band to ask instead of you.

And can the sound guy put it onto a CD or a data DVD, or does he need some device from the taper to record it onto live?
Free Screenings of "Bill Hicks: Revelations" in Portland and Seattle
May 27th & 28th.
info: http://www.BillHicks.org  RSVP: http://Facebook.com/BillHicksNW

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:13 PM »
A new question for this:  Is it reasonable for a band to ask a soundman (small, local venue; not friends with) to provide a soundboard mix for them?  It seems like it'd be an easier route to get the band to ask instead of you.

And can the sound guy put it onto a CD or a data DVD, or does he need some device from the taper to record it onto live?

rule #8:

The engineers fingers need lubrication in order to turn all those knobs and push up all those faders. The lubricant of choice for audio engineers is beer, although, rum, jagermeister, and vodka have all been known to work.

The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 01:52:26 AM »

I assume you mean can the sound engineer create a special mix just for the recording? Certainly a good idea to get the band to ask if it's possible. The sound engineer may have a machine to record onto, but if so, the engineer might be doing it for personal or venue archives. If you have a recorder to provide, definitely do so. Multiple masters are always a good idea.

I told the band that I'd give them a copy, but I never thought to give one to the soundman too (he works for the bar, not the band). 

I firmly believe in offering recordings to anyone involved as a goodwill gesture.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 04:04:30 AM »

I assume you mean can the sound engineer create a special mix just for the recording? Certainly a good idea to get the band to ask if it's possible. The sound engineer may have a machine to record onto, but if so, the engineer might be doing it for personal or venue archives. If you have a recorder to provide, definitely do so. Multiple masters are always a good idea.

I told the band that I'd give them a copy, but I never thought to give one to the soundman too (he works for the bar, not the band). 

I firmly believe in offering recordings to anyone involved as a goodwill gesture.

Some bars do have a machine to record onto. Like Smiths Old Bar in Atlanta. They record everything board special mix> HD. They can burn & track you out a 16bit disc really quick. Usually he charges bands for this. I can get one done for a few beers.

Great etiquette rules in here BTW. T's around.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com