Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2  (Read 51013 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2
« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »
I started a new thread with the comp of the Aerco vs the FP for those of you interested, you can decide for yourselves  :)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »
I am thinking about parting with my Aerco (seen here) and figured I would check with the team first here. It is in fantastic condition for its age. It was purchased from Jerry Bruck (Posthorn) on eBay back in 2013 and appeared to have never really been used. Mine is somewhat unusual compared to many of the current ones out there. According to Jerry, this preamp is the first MP-2 configuration. Paperwork included showing some tests on the unit are dated 09-1991. The gain adjustments are weird and have to be adjusted with a small jeweler's screwdriver through the RCA jacks, however, I've always left it set in the +20dB setting, effectively treating it as a fixed preamp. There is a small 1" SYF metal sticker on top of the unit now (not pictured). It's actually much cleaner looking on the outside than what's portrayed with using the flash in those pics. When I contacted Jerry about info this preamp and the possibility of replacing the parts, this is what he said:

-
That is indeed the very first configuration, the idea was to have maximum ruggedness as it was favorexd by news crews because at the time it was the only portable preamp that would power the Neuman RSM-190i matrix mic which they frequently used. None of the electronics wear or degrade in normal use- one transformer became noisy when it was immersed in water. Those transformers have spectacular performance but apparently imperfect potting. The switches are a nuisance if you change gain a lot but should be well suited to your mode of use- they are industrial grade and should last essentially forever. Connectors are always prone to wear but the Neutrik XLRs should last for many thousands of insertions / removals. The RCA connectors are more prone to wear but if you're not experiencing any problems there is no benefit in replacing them.  The 3.5 mm stereo connector is never reliable for serious use and is just there for a quick check with a pair of headphones.  With all that said, never hesitate to request service or advice- I take vicarious pleasure from your successful recordings.  :-)) 
-

The transformers are stamped "RE 13K6-C". Here's a link to the Reichenbach specs for them.

I'd be looking to get exactly what I paid, $525 shipped. If interested, let me know.  SOLD
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:50:33 PM by audBall »

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #242 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
Gefell M200>Aerco MP2>Tascam DR2d

https://soundcloud.com/hypnocracy/rosalee-chris-robinson-brotherhood-live-2015-07-24

Lovin' It!

The 3.5 mm stereo connector is never reliable for serious use and is just there for a quick check with a pair of headphones.

I've heard noise from using the mini stereo out...rough movements...But since it was going to the DR2d I never considered the mini output on the Aerco to be suspect any more than the mini stereo recorder input...

Team Members do you go RCA > 1/8 Stereo?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (59)
  • "Are you Zman!?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
Gefell M200>Aerco MP2>Tascam DR2d

https://soundcloud.com/hypnocracy/rosalee-chris-robinson-brotherhood-live-2015-07-24

Lovin' It!

The 3.5 mm stereo connector is never reliable for serious use and is just there for a quick check with a pair of headphones.

I've heard noise from using the mini stereo out...rough movements...But since it was going to the DR2d I never considered the mini output on the Aerco to be suspect any more than the mini stereo recorder input...

Team Members do you go RCA > 1/8 Stereo?

Yes, since day 1.  That 1/8 out is NOT a clean line-out.  As Jerry said, it was intended for headphones.  A good-ole-fashion Y cable from Ratshack or a custom jobbie from Ted Gakadis, has always been the best solution for me.  I've owned & operated my Aerco for 10 years.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
I would also recommend the RCA outs.  For my bag set-up, I have found that right angle RCAs work particularly well.  For the record, though, I have run the 1/8" out a couple of times and it sounded fine...

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
Yeah...I've had it out for three shows and ran just Mini out with no problems...message sent to Ted...need to get that and the latching power cable pigtail I have tied to a Tekkeon for Lockn'

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »
I've never had problems with the mini output on my Aerco, though the channels are inverted from the RCA outputs.
Mics:   AKG c452eb(x2)/c460b(x4)/c568eb(x2); a60m(x4)/a51(x2)/vr-1(x2); ck1(x4),ck22(x3, x1 needs repair?),ck3 (x2, x1 needs repair?),ck8(x2)
Pre/A2D:  Aerco MP-2 | Benchmark AD2K+ (needs repair)
Recorders: Busman V/T Mod. Edirol R-4 Pro | MOTU Traveler/MacBook Pro | Sony R500 | Sony PCM-M1

Offline raoulduke

• Trade Count: (47)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Got Gefell?
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
Does anyone have a current email address for Jerry? I emailed multiple addresses Monday with either no response or delivery errors.

jerry@chamkis.me
jerry@aerco.net
sales@aerco.net  (delivery failed)
jerry@jchamkis.com  (delivery delayed)

For anyone who has an Aerco outfitted with internal lithium poly batteries:
  Any recommendations on where to buy replacement batteries?
  Is it easy to swap them out? Do they snap in or is soldering involved?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2016, 10:33:11 AM »
Maybe try jchamkis@bga.com.  That is one he has used with me in the past (in addition to jerry@aerco.net and jerry@jchamkis.com).

No idea about the battery, though.  If you find any information about replacing it, please post here!  Mine is still good to go, but I (and others) will surely face that issue at some point...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (57)
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »
Jerry sometimes does live sound production for films. Those gigs can have him isolated on site for days. So maybe that is where he is. Or on vacation.

New product - Get your NEUMANN active mounting bars
Active microphone mounting bars for Schoeps and AKG, and Naiant AKG, ready to ship

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman!?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
The jerry@chamkis.me is the last known email address I used to communicate with him.  That was a year ago, August.

I found his phone #.  PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:34:43 PM by spyder9 »

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:10 PM »
The jerry@chamkis.me is the last known email address I used to communicate with him.  That was a year ago, August.

I'm having Jerry work on a box for me now, and that is the email I use to communicate with him.
He is not very fast, and sometimes takes a while to respond.
I'll touch base with him about the replacement battery and see what he suggests.

EDIT: I sent him an email this morning and will post any info he shares with me here.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:00:03 PM by darby »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman!?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2016, 10:56:30 AM »

I'm having Jerry work on a box for me now, and that is the email I use to communicate with him.
He is not very fast, and sometimes takes a while to respond.
I'll touch base with him about the replacement battery and see what he suggests.

Nice!  It would be great hear if he found a good supplier.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2016, 07:06:16 AM »
here is what Jerry said:

Hi Michael-
Batteries are available on the web, they're 7.4 volt 900 MaH helicopter batteries. However, since there are two in parallel it's very important to have a matched pair as any difference will reduce the lifetime significantly.

There are also slight variations in size and they're a tight fit so it's tricky to get ones that work well, I have lots of useless leftovers that get re-purposed for in-shop instruments and projects. I sell the matched pairs for $100 / pair plus shipping.

They plug in to a little board at the back of the case, no soldering is required. It is however delicate work in a tight place so I'll do the job if you pay the shipping both ways.

Regards-

Jerry

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »
There is a good picture of a battery that Jerry uses (or, at least, used) in this Yard Sale post (the next to last photo). 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.228 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com