Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixing Engineers needed in the future?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline 91HondaCRX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mixing Engineers needed in the future?
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:42:43 AM »
What do you guys think?  Will there be more or less demand for Mixing engineers in 5, 10, 20 years?

I really enjoy recording and mixing, but if this is something I want to do for the future, I want to make sure there is a future for it:)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mixing Engineers needed in the future?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:46:36 PM »
Why not?

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:31:23 AM »
What do you guys think?  Will there be more or less demand for Mixing engineers in 5, 10, 20 years?

I really enjoy recording and mixing, but if this is something I want to do for the future, I want to make sure there is a future for it:)

Interesting question; why do you think there wouldn't be mixing engineers in the future? 

It's not a great time to be getting into audio working full time, but there are jobs to be had out there.  Sometimes the work is spotty, and the pay may not be great relative to the work you put in, but if it's what you love to do it makes things a little more tolerable.  Definitely don't narrow your range of skills to just mixing; you're fooling yourself if you think that a studio will hire just a mixing engineer.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline sailcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »
you might want to check out the gearslutz board. there are lots of threads discussing just that subject, populated by people who are in the biz. Long story short, studios are closing all over the world, and there are very few jobs out there. Not to say that there are none, but it's much harder to make money in the business these days. You can look forward to starting at the very bottom - making coffee and running errands for free, and moving up slowly. While you're there, check the threads on the value of recording schools if you really want to get depressed.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com