Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Online resources for finding Mixing and Mastering collaborators?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline 6079

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Online resources for finding Mixing and Mastering collaborators?
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »
I'd like to find any resources for networking with audio mixers and related skills.  The film and TV industry has mandy.com where you can post what you're doing and find people that are interested in working for lo/no/deferred payment.  I've used this, but I'd like to find more audio related resources or communities.

What I'm doing is filming rock concerts and multitracking audio, but I'm not skilled enough to mix and master everything.  I've some options, but thought I'd look at the field a little harder.  It's a low key thing kept private until the bands approve, but these are established bands with somewhat legendary, prolific names.  It's non profit, so if anyone may be interested in being associated with it for the sake of a good finished product, any help or pointing in a direction is appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:55:24 PM by 6079 »
Free Screenings of "Bill Hicks: Revelations" in Portland and Seattle
May 27th & 28th.
info: http://www.BillHicks.org  RSVP: http://Facebook.com/BillHicksNW

easy jim

Re: Online resources for finding Mixing and Mastering collaborators?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
^ I hate to sound really negative about this, but I think you're going to figure out quickly that the folks with the knowledge and skills you're looking for will not work without pay unless they have some other vested interest (like being in/working for the band(s) in some capacity), or you have a long-standing relationship with them such that they will not feel very put out by asking them to work for free. The folks willing to take it on with donated time, on the other hand, are going to lack the skills to 'do it right' and produce a professional sounding mix.

Multi-track mixing, as compared to < or = 2 or 4 track recording, takes quite a bit of knowledge, skill, and experience to do well.  From the folks who moonlight and/or do this stuff for a living, much like in the craigslist 'crew'/'gig' section, you'll find a lot of resentment towards unskilled newbies who can afford gear and have connections but have not put in the blood, sweat, and tears to learn how to use it.  I've seen this personally quite a lot from both sides over the past handful of years.

Why not spend more time to develop these skills yourself?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:42:52 PM by easyjim »

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »
After rereading my big long rambling post I've edited to this. 

FWIW....Since he's chosen to keep his name off the post I'll respect that too.  I know the OP  and I know that his heart is in the right place.   He has a passion for video and a knack for getting his foot in the door.  And, while gaining more and more knowledge about audio, it has not yet matched his video knowledge. 

I do think if the OP  could offer something more tangible than a "maybe if" for pay you would have better luck attracting the kind of help you are looking for.  I also think an offer of no or low pay will not yield very good returns, IMHO.  But that puts you in a a position of having to deal with contracts, record companies, band managers and venue riders.  Good luck. 

Like I said, I know his heart is in the right place.   Maybe you should start a web site for this type fo thing yourself? 

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:47:54 PM by kirkd »

easy jim

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »
kirkd makes some excellent additional points.  And, just to be clear, even without knowing the OP, I can also tell "his heart is in the right place."  Nearly every starry-eyed 'hobbyist' who spends enough time doing A/V recording for bands/artists beyond basic fan-taping, however, will eventually either burn out on 'working' for free and want to get some compensation, or will come to build up resentment about (perceived or real) expectations from the bands/artists absent some acknowledgment/compensation of the time and effort put in doing professional services pro bono (whether or not actually being an 'amateur').

Having been the 'audio guy' for numerous video shoots, some paid and some unpaid, I've learned some things.  One of them is that the artists/band managers, etc. usually have almost no idea how much time and work goes into audio or video post-production for these types of 'jobs.'   Another thing is that artists/bands, who are mostly very poorly compensated themselves, will often heap on expectations of professional quality results and turnaround time without acknowledging that they may be receiving hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of work for free.  What they do know is that equipment is much cheaper and more accessible to amateurs these days, and that presents them with opportunities.  So, there's an awareness that they can take advantage of amateurs to try and get professional quality stuff without paying for it.  Promises of possible back-end compensation are always empty absent a contract.  (Open taping situations are clearly different)

My advice is that the OP should put more value on his own time and services, considering the 'professional' type of 'work' you're doing, and be very clear with yourself about whether or not you find some other value and/or are interested in 'working' for free.  I'm not saying do not 'work' for free; rather, I am suggesting it's better to not delude yourself about possible back-end compensation, and that an audio and/or video recordist should be honest with him/herself about it.  If you like the artist/band enough, and are willing to undertake essentially professional work for little or not compensation, that's cool - do it. You're getting some value out of it for yourself then.  If you're doing it with the hopes of maybe, eventually getting pay and/or recognition, without a solid promise/contract, it may not be worth the time and effort in the end and the relationships may suffer.  To ask someone else to join you in all that as a collaborator is asking a lot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:21:27 PM by easyjim »

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »
I'm interested in this. I am no pro, but I've been steadily learning to mix & master multi-track audio, and I'd love the practice. I don't care about compensation, I'm interested in the raw tracks for the mixing practice. Obviously I make no guarantees about quality or time lines. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

FWIW I use Ableton Live as a DAW & T-Racks Deluxe for most of my processing.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com