Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stilts for height?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Stilts for height?
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
I've thought about getting some painter stilts to gain about 2' upwards to record video above standing crowds.  Would stilts be the prefered way of achieving this?  I'm not that short (5'9"-ish), but people like to wear big hats down here (myself included).  And I'd prefer something that could avoid yet another thing to carry.  With stilts I figure that I could wear them from car to location if need be, maybe even get there faster with a longer stride.  Just a thought.  Most of my stuff is outdoors.  And hanging the spider brace off of the clutch on the boom arm gets old quick.  Especially around noon-ish with the sun in that bad place.

A step stool might be a little more stable, but I'm generally carrying mic stand in one hand and camera stuff in the other.  And I want to keep it one person, one trip and fairly light.  And I'm already with field recorder man purse and a second one to boot for extras (drinks, batteries and media cards).  Surprisingly light considering, at least once I dumped 25'(x2) XLR cable for 15'(x2).  And I'm not a featherweight so I need something commercially rated for 250lbs+.

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Stilts for height?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »
Shadow,

Make sure your health/liability insurance is up to date before trying this.  ;-)

An assistant with a step ladder is a much better option, IMHO.

Cheers...

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
Re: Stilts for height?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »
I'm liking having a monopod ace bandaged to my spider brace 2.  Takes the Z-Axis woddle out and still lets you do stuff similar to a fluid head, without being out a wad of cash for a good fluid head and set of legs.  My monopod is a bit shorter than I'd like, but still long enough to put the spider brace off shoulder.  So I guess I am looking for a raised platform (folding chair) or something to bring it all above sea level.  Not a lot of height required, but I need something substantial similar to a piano bench less 6".  That a 300lbs man could stand on safely, not that I weight that much(yet), but I'll be with gear.  Heavy duty anvil suitcase with wheels?  Hmmm.  Doubles as a chair if I get there too early.  Doesn't blow halfway across the parking lot when the wind picks up.  Waterproof shelter for the gear in a crunch.  Maybe I didn't need stilts after all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com