Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So, where do I start?  (Read 20531 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:So, where do I start?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2004, 08:33:57 PM »
As for getting a board patch at Metallica.....unless you are a good friend of the bands I don't think I'd even ask.  Asking will let them know you want to tape and may give them a clue to watch you.

If $380 US is your budget for a stealth rig I think about the best option is to go for:

Refurbished JB3 from creative off ebay: $180

Sound Professionsal's SP-CMC-1 (AT 829s) = $99/pair and $49 for the battery module.

Buy the time you factor in shipping you're close to $380.   I also think you'd be pretty pleased with the results.

The only thing I'm not sure of (and there are others that can answer better than I...zhianosatch) is whether to get the cardioids or omnis?
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline 0120

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2004, 08:39:26 PM »
I've been told omnis.  I'd like to hear more about the mics though.  Thanks!   :headphones:

Offline 0120

• Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2004, 08:40:22 PM »
As for getting a board patch at Metallica.....unless you are a good friend of the bands I don't think I'd even ask.  Asking will let them know you want to tape and may give them a clue to watch you.

They allow taping.  It's just the venue's security that I have to get past.   :headphones:

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2004, 08:53:28 PM »
metallica does NOT allow taping!

Offline 0120

• Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2004, 08:59:01 PM »
No, man they do.  Look at their site.  Hang on and I'll post some quotes.   :headphones:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 09:00:32 PM by 0120 »

Offline 0120

• Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2004, 09:03:09 PM »
Posted on metallica.com
Yes, you can record concerts for your own personal use, but we ask that you please not trade, donate, or barter the recordings in exchange for other goods or money. As a fan, you know that Metallica is very particular about the quality of their recordings and anything with their name on it. This standard of quality is lost when the band's name is used and recordings are distributed without their permission. However, before you record any concert, check with the venue. Recording may be prohibited at certain venues and it is up to you to determine this.

Lars Ulrich, May 2000 Yahoo! chat[/
We have always and will always continue to condone allowing people to record our concerts and to freely trade live concerts.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 09:04:00 PM by 0120 »

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2004, 09:03:12 PM »
I think I can help you out, I have been running my starter rig for a couple years and I did a lot of research.

Recorder

The jb3 is a good idea because of the ease of transferring to computer to be burned to CD, which is what I'm assuming you want to do.  Even with the slight compression and cheaper price of MD, you would still be able to make a quality tape just as good as the jb3. Where MD becomes inferior is that you would have to buy a MD deck and a digital soundcard for the digital transfer as caymanreview previously pointed out.  Find a way to get a refurbished jb3 in your rig and you won't regret it.

Mics

because you're stealthing in a Metallica concert, you're going to have to avoid omni-directional mics because they would pick up too much crowd noise and some cardioids or hypercardioids will not eliminate the problem but help it. These are the very mics I bought and for your budget I would highly recommend them:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-2&type=store

Those are the Sound Professionals at831 (sp-cmc-2) cardioid mics. Very similiar to the before mentioned at853's in that the at853's have interchangeable caps (can switch from omni to cardioid or hypercardiod) but the cost is $50 more.  Either set will work.

Mic power

You will need a battery box for those mics for sure, I have one as does a majority of tapers who run such a setup. You can find one at the same site:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=310&item=SP-SPSB-1&type=store

You essentially could get the bare batt box with no additional features (that cost more) but if there's one feature that would benefit you most it's the bass roll-off option ($20).  If you can afford it definitely get the preamp option ($140 + level control[$20/30]) but it's not absolutely necessary.

This can be your basic rig.  I'm also assuming the jb3 has a line input.  I haven't used one, I went the MD rig as the jb3 was not available at the time.  can someone please confirm this?  If you have any questions just pm or email me.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline 0120

• Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2004, 09:06:10 PM »
Yep, the JB3 has line in.  What you suggested is under $380 which is great.  Now I just have to factor in shipping and stuff.  Looks like I'm that much closer to finishing my rig.   :headphones:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 09:08:04 PM by 0120 »

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »
Posted on metallica.com
Yes, you can record concerts for your own personal use, but we ask that you please not trade, donate, or barter the recordings in exchange for other goods or money. As a fan, you know that Metallica is very particular about the quality of their recordings and anything with their name on it. This standard of quality is lost when the band's name is used and recordings are distributed without their permission. However, before you record any concert, check with the venue. Recording may be prohibited at certain venues and it is up to you to determine this.

Lars Ulrich, May 2000 Yahoo! chat[/
We have always and will always continue to condone allowing people to record our concerts and to freely trade live concerts.

If that's the case why do you have to stealth?  I'm sure they play many of the same venues as DMB, Phish etc who allow taping...not sure why a venue would care.

I'm confused why you can tape but you have to stealth?  ???

::EDIT::

And if they are so concearned with sound quality wouldn't they want everone FOB and enforce  quality control on the rigs being used so that they are sure only "good" rigs are taping??  :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 09:24:51 PM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline 0120

• Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2004, 10:09:43 PM »
If that's the case why do you have to stealth?  I'm sure they play many of the same venues as DMB, Phish etc who allow taping...not sure why a venue would care.

I'm confused why you can tape but you have to stealth?  ???

::EDIT::

And if they are so concearned with sound quality wouldn't they want everone FOB and enforce  quality control on the rigs being used so that they are sure only "good" rigs are taping??  :P

It's a great double standard.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2004, 10:17:05 PM »
go for it, spend the cash if you can, if you don't you are gonna wanna upgrade, we all do..  man i just got my rig all good to go, and i want more. its a sickness..  ur gonna get stuck, but good luck, and welcome.  go buy the JB3, and get some mics and a box from sound pro's. peace.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline 0120

• Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2004, 10:58:04 PM »
I'm definitely going to go for the JB3, but there are options for the battery box.  I'm not sure which one I should get.  Same with mics.  I'm still a little confused about the cardioid mics.  What SPL am I looking at for a concert as loud as Metallica?  And also does having focused mics mean if I clip  them to a hat or something, that I'll have to look at the speaker stacks the whole time?  I also forgot to add that Metallica has had tapers' tickets all the way up until the 1998/1999 tour for some reason. :headphones:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 11:01:02 PM by 0120 »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2004, 11:27:04 PM »
I'm definitely going to go for the JB3, but there are options for the battery box.  I'm not sure which one I should get.  Same with mics.  I'm still a little confused about the cardioid mics.  What SPL am I looking at for a concert as loud as Metallica?  And also does having focused mics mean if I clip  them to a hat or something, that I'll have to look at the speaker stacks the whole time?  I also forgot to add that Metallica has had tapers' tickets all the way up until the 1998/1999 tour for some reason. :headphones:

I thought Metalica changed their stance on taping. It's my understanding they don't allow it anymore. I'd be prepared to stealth.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline 0120

• Taperssection Newbie
  • (Extremely) New Taper
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2004, 12:32:16 AM »
No, they never did.  What exactly did you hear about it?  :headphones:

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2004, 01:44:26 AM »
I've read up on techniques involving getting the units into the show and recording.  Basically all I need to do is get equipment and learn how to use it.   :headphones:

well. in the dark
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com