Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)  (Read 41389 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
this guy briefly mentions the dr680 and says its a 6 track recorder: http://vimeo.com/20436701

Haven't watched the video, but for most people's purposes it is.  I assume there only a minority of people that use the digital input in addition to the 6 analog inputs.

Well understandably it has only six analogue inputs but when you actually OWN the gear and are making a video of it, I would aim for accuracy.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
I got a reply from Tascam and they have read this thread.  IF I were one of the people trying to get something fixed I suggest this:
Go to the Tascam Website and go to contact us link.  Then enter the info into the form so that you have a reference number generated.  I'd also link to this thread to get their attention.  Good luck.  Here's to hoping that Tascam steps up and goes above and beyond to take care of their customers

wkrbee

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 12:18:52 AM »
New poster here.With the exception of KirkD it appears that all you guys do is bitch and never contact the company,no offense- but this is VERY typical of posters on just about all the forums I follow.Again, no offense intended,just an observation from someone on the other end of the line. Do as KirkD suggests,contact the company,be professional,and realize there is a real person at the other end that is more than willing to help,if you give them half a chance and you don't act like an A$$. "You catch more flies with honey than S##t".

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2011, 01:12:05 AM »
Quite the accusatory thing to say for a first post. Especially when that first post comes a mere 12-hrs after you join the site.
If you actually read some threads around here and didn't come in shooting off your mouth
and then throw out the "NO OFFENSE" line, you'd realize that everyone who had problems did in fact contact them.
The kicker here is you bitching about people bitching.  :-*

Darby, Chuck, Acidjack... all contacted the company.
Read a few threads.

EDIT:
NO OFFENSE
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:18:19 AM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2011, 01:32:18 AM »
I don't think we're being unreasonable. We'll go through the normal return process (we have no choice) and have already been in contact with the manufacturer multiple times. It's understandable that equipment may fail, but feel the number of incidents and severity of problems reported merits this being a serious issue and expect a reasonable level of quality assurance.

There's every opportunity here to make us extremely satisfied customers. The DR-680 is an excellent product when it works, so showing a sign of good faith in customer service now will influence whether I recommend another product from this brand going forward.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2011, 05:38:34 AM »
New poster here.With the exception of KirkD it appears that all you guys do is bitch and never contact the company,no offense- but this is VERY typical of posters on just about all the forums I follow.Again, no offense intended,just an observation from someone on the other end of the line. Do as KirkD suggests,contact the company,be professional,and realize there is a real person at the other end that is more than willing to help,if you give them half a chance and you don't act like an A$$. "You catch more flies with honey than S##t".

Nice first post.  ::)

Welcome to TS.com.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

kirk97132

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »
Hmmm so I have two takes on this.  ALL OF THIS IS SPECULATION ON MY PART.

ONE that the new poster is a Tascam/Teac person who has come to read threads that at least two of us have relayed to them.  IF that is the case I suspect that they are feeling defensive and hopefully did not intend to pour gas on the fire.  It could be they do not have the authority or permission to participate in a public forum as a product representative.   A good example of how to come onto the TS forum and participate is to use Nic from Sound Devices as an example.  He can identified himself and took all the bitches back to the techs and figured out cause and effect then implemented a fix.

TWO that it is someone who is not from the manufacturer but deals with audio tech/equipment feedback or complaints and is just trying to make sure that there is someone sticking up for the "other" side of the story. 

Either way, the post sure didn't help this situation.

I do suggest that you contact Tascam.  Since I seem to have gotten someone's attention now would be a great time to drive the point home that there are people trying to get something fixed.  If you contact me via PM I will give you the name and e-mail address of the guy who seems to have stepped up to handle my particular request.  I don't think it would be fair to post his name here publicly. 

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
I do not have a problem with my deck, and I don't disagree with the recommendation of the poster of calling the manufacturer, but if this is someone from the company who is coming here under some anonymous guise and reprimanding us in this unprofessional manner, I do have a problem with that. If it turns out that this person works for TEAC/Tascam, I won't buy their products ever again. The customer is always right  (even if they're completely wrong) you just don't give customer service that way. It wasn't what he said, it was how he said it. Very condescending manner.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »

Nice first post.  ::)

Welcome to TS.com.

send him straight to the PZ

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »

Workerbee/wageslave here, as a new poster I just jumped into this thread to make comments that showed I 1) didn't read this entire thread or the other threads concerning my company's released-to-market before ready/defective product or 2) my comprehension skills are severely lacking. With the exception of Nic from SD it appears that all us tech guys do is bitch and never contact the customer, no offense- but this is VERY typical of tech support on just about all the forums I follow. Go ahead and contact my company and we'll ignore you for months just as we have ignored the others who have contacted us. Even though there are some nice people here at my company, most of us are a$$es and don't give a S##T once we have moved product; after all, we already have your money and we are very unlikely to give any of it back or be helpful in any other manner.

My take on the new poster. As others have stated it certainly reads as condescending in tone and not really all that helpful for those who are having problems with the product and have encountered an unresponsive customer/tech support department. For those of you who have, are, or will experience problems with the 680 I sure hope the manufacturer is much more responsive in the future.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:42:38 AM by flipp »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
How old is the problem unit that you want replaced and not repaired?  I thought I read it was 10 months.

Not even SD, at $750 per channel for a 788, is likely to do that.  They'll fix it.  And they may give you a loaner.  But then, their margins allow that.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
As to the new poster, the hilarious part is that I was bitching about the fact that (a) the product is garbage but more importantly, (b) that they refuse to REPLACE, not repair, a unit that was shipped DOA.  The unit is a month old and was used less than five times, and the digital input malfunctioned from day one.  My first recourse was to contact Tascam.  I was unsatisfied with their response.  A manufacturer that ships consumer electronics DOA in this day and age had better have outstanding customer service and be ready to replace units immediately, or get out of the business.  "Repairing" something that you shipped out broken is not the same as repairing a unit that broke from normal wear and tear over the course of its life.

What I needed to hear was, "Return the unit to us COD 2nd day air and we will have a new one back to you within 2 days of receiving yours".  That is the proper response for a DOA new unit under warranty.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:28:54 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
To our new poster-
  This site is an open forum for location recordists and we discuss the good, the bad and the ugly. The users of this forum are a good
representation of the people that buy or don't buy these products. The commercial success or failure of these specialty products is
dependant on people such as us. Good products receive praise. Bad products get slammed.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
To our new poster-
  This site is an open forum for location recordists and we discuss the good, the bad and the ugly. The users of this forum are a good
representation of the people that buy or don't buy these products. The commercial success or failure of these specialty products is
dependant on people such as us. Good products receive praise. Bad products get slammed.

This is what's best with, specifically, this forum. I know other forums are, for whatever reason, a little more apprehensive to post a lot of negative on the product but when some kind of camera/recorder/tv/phone/electronic is complete junk, its nice to hear some honest complaints with it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2011, 01:57:44 PM »
I feel like I have to say that I still love my DR-680.
I am not convinced by reading this thread or any other thread that this recorder is a lemon.
Of course, more time will tell...

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com