Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Connectors not screwing on all the way  (Read 4941 times)

Offline teajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Connectors not screwing on all the way
« on: February 29, 2004, 09:23:41 PM »
Hello,

This isn't a very busy section but hopefully someone'll read this post :)
I made 4 interconnects (2 XLR w/ Male -> Female, and 2 w/ Male XLR -> 1/4") and 2 25ft mic cables this weekend using Neutrik connectors.

I soldered the pins and everything but then when I went to screw the metal sleeve to the black plastic sleeve you slide on before soldering (took me a few times before i remembered to put it on first :) ) I found that it wouldn't screw on completely. There is still tiny piece of threading that isn't covered. I looked at how straight the cables were fitting inside and everything looked fine from what I could tell.

Does anyone have any ideas of what may be wrong? Also, this is worst on the 1/4" connectors than the XLR's.

Cheers,
Travis
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
Re:Connectors not screwing on all the way
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 10:53:02 AM »
Yes, everything seems fine there, there are little notches on both pieces so there's only one way of putting them  in there. And it goes down far enough that all you see is the last bit of the plastic clamp (where is starts to get narrow). I can't push it any further.

Sorry for the bad visual descriptions, if you'd like i can take some pics tonight and post.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 11:08:59 AM »
Hello,

This isn't a very busy section but hopefully someone'll read this post :)
I made 4 interconnects (2 XLR w/ Male -> Female, and 2 w/ Male XLR -> 1/4") and 2 25ft mic cables this weekend using Neutrik connectors.

I soldered the pins and everything but then when I went to screw the metal sleeve to the black plastic sleeve you slide on before soldering (took me a few times before i remembered to put it on first :) ) I found that it wouldn't screw on completely. There is still tiny piece of threading that isn't covered. I looked at how straight the cables were fitting inside and everything looked fine from what I could tell.

Does anyone have any ideas of what may be wrong? Also, this is worst on the 1/4" connectors than the XLR's.

Cheers,
Travis

as you know, there is a cable restraint part for the XLR terminals.  when you finalize the assembly, you tighten the plastic cap onto the XLR body, which squeezes the cable restraint platic part to the cable.

the cable restraint part can acommodate various diameter cables.  i'd say that your cable diameter may be slightly larger than others, therefore, your plastic cap will not screw in "all the way".

as long as your cable is restrained and the connectors test out w/o any problems, then you shouldn't worry.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 11:11:19 AM »
Yes, everything seems fine there, there are little notches on both pieces so there's only one way of putting them  in there. And it goes down far enough that all you see is the last bit of the plastic clamp (where is starts to get narrow). I can't push it any further.

Sorry for the bad visual descriptions, if you'd like i can take some pics tonight and post.

>>Connectors not screwing on all the way

>>And it goes down far enough that all you see is the last bit of the

>>if you'd like i can take some pics tonight and post

is it me or does this post have many sexuall innuendos!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 11:20:31 AM »
i had a hell of a time getting the boot screwed onto the strain relief with the canare digital cable.  but if it is smaller than this, it may be another issue.

jr

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/attachments/hosa2.jpg
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 11:21:01 AM by John R »
we all live downstream.

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 11:31:57 AM »
I think it's a little smaller than that, so it must be something else. I'll have to take another look and let you know.

BTW: That's one sick optical cable!!

And another note: This is post 5-0 for me :)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 02:00:19 AM »
this doesn't really have anything to do with this thread but...i ordered boots for my nuetriks ends and they don't fit on my right angles at all :(   ...makes me a little sad.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com