Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 123689 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #330 on: April 23, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
That's perfect.  What part of the wood clamp are you attaching to?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
That's perfect.  What part of the wood clamp are you attaching to?
in that picture the Windtech clamp is attached to the handle of the wood clamp! I typically try to attach to the long metal end.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline heathen

« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
The long metal part looks sort of thin...are you able to get a good grip on it with the Windtech?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2018, 02:51:23 PM »
The long metal part looks sort of thin...are you able to get a good grip on it with the Windtech?

Oh ye of little faith:    :bigsmile:    admittedly these are actives but..... see the first photo above thread for how strong this thing is

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:52:33 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
bonus points for clamping to the clamps.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
bonus points for clamping to clamps.

+Ts
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »
Sometimes the best clamp is no clamp.

I've started column clamping without using a clamp, running a heavy-duty velcro strap (or 2) around a column which looks like the one Rocksuitcase posted a photo of above.

The velcro strap material is 1-3/4 wide, cut from a big roll similar to gaff-tape. It has hooks on one side, loops on the other, so can stick to itself at any length.  I have two 5' or so lengths of it which roll up compactly in the bag without weight penalty and any worry of nicking anything in the bag.  They now cohabitate in there all the time.

I use them to strap either my entire mini-stand to the column (going around both the column and stand, with the stand legs folded up), or just the mic-bar and threaded extension long enough to get a good secure strap around, which is considerably smaller than the Manfrotto stand, depending on the situation. 

Excess strap length just gets wrapped around an extra time or two.  I pass the mic cables through the last wrap as strain-relief and to keep the cables tight to the column. The velcro holds securely, is easily adjusted, doesn't mar the surface or damage anything, and the entire rig goes up really fast.  That limits time standing on chairs fixing clamps and disrupting the goings on, keeping things smooth with venue owners and staff and remaining low-key and off-radar for the most part with the other patrons.

Also works for securing a stand to a fence, railing or whatever.  In that case it secures things from wobbling or toppling, but is not rigidly "rotation locking" like a clamp unless both straps are used with a foot or two of spacing between them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

jcable77

« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »
Sometimes the best clamp is no clamp.

I've started column clamping without using a clamp, running a heavy-duty velcro strap (or 2) around a column which looks like the one Rocksuitcase posted a photo of above.

The velcro strap material is 1-3/4 wide, cut from a big roll similar to gaff-tape. It has hooks on one side, loops on the other, so can stick to itself at any length.  I have two 5' or so lengths of it which roll up compactly in the bag without weight penalty and any worry of nicking anything in the bag.  They now cohabitate in there all the time.

I use them to strap either my entire mini-stand to the column (going around both the column and stand, with the stand legs folded up), or just the mic-bar and threaded extension long enough to get a good secure strap around, which is considerably smaller than the Manfrotto stand, depending on the situation. 

Excess strap length just gets wrapped around an extra time or two.  I pass the mic cables through the last wrap as strain-relief and to keep the cables tight to the column. The velcro holds securely, is easily adjusted, doesn't mar the surface or damage anything, and the entire rig goes up really fast.  That limits time standing on chairs fixing clamps and disrupting the goings on, keeping things smooth with venue owners and staff and remaining low-key and off-radar for the most part with the other patrons.

Also works for securing a stand to a fence, railing or whatever.  In that case it secures things from wobbling or toppling, but is not rigidly "rotation locking" like a clamp unless both straps are used with a foot or two of spacing between them.
I just picket up these uline velcro straps at Ace hardware the other day, they worked great. Got a few different sizes.
https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/BL_6602/Velcro-Brand-Cinch-Straps

The picture in this archive link you can see them in use.
https://archive.org/details/BT2018-04-19

Offline heathen

« Reply #338 on: May 12, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
I tried the Gutbucket method of lashing my stand to the column.  It worked reasonably well, but the stand was still exposed to the tide of stumbling wooks.  At least at this venue, I'll get a proper wood clamp and try that method next time (you can see a rig behind mine using the wood clamp method).

Offline thespacefish

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Space Tapes
« Reply #339 on: May 12, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
I tried the Gutbucket method of lashing my stand to the column.  It worked reasonably well, but the stand was still exposed to the tide of stumbling wooks.  At least at this venue, I'll get a proper wood clamp and try that method next time (you can see a rig behind mine using the wood clamp method).
Interesting - thanks for always taking a pic and sharing! Did no one run a stand last night?
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@thespacefish
Mics: AKG P170s / CA-14 (cards) / CA-14 (omnis)
Recorders: Zoom H6 and Zoom H4n Pro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/totesspacefish
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thespacefish
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/spacetapes

Offline heathen

« Reply #340 on: May 12, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
Here's the best I can remember (names are to the best of my recollection...I met all these guys for the first time last night):

• Roy ran a stand by the board
  • Scott ran two pairs of DPAs on stage
  • A guy whose name I can't remember (and I feel really bad about that because he was extremely nice) ran the rig attached to the wood clamp near the "taper nook."  I believe he also ran DPAs.
  • I had my rig on the first column closest to the stage.  There was another guy with a very small rig who taped his mics to the column.

I know there were more people recording but that's the best I can do from memory.

jcable77

« Reply #341 on: May 12, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
Very happy. Good looking out CO crew. Cant lie I was a little stressed about my decision to not fly out.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #342 on: May 12, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »
What venue is that? Who was playing?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline heathen

« Reply #343 on: May 12, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »
Be On Key Psychedelic Ripple in Denver.  A great little deadhead venue. This show was Garaj Mahal.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
Be On Key Psychedelic Ripple in Denver.  A great little deadhead venue. This show was Garaj Mahal.

Please post a link! Love Fareed/Garaj...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com