Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Comparing original vinyl to digitized versions  (Read 3828 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Comparing original vinyl to digitized versions
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
For those of you who have made an effort to 'rip' your vinyl using a high quality workflow, what sort of differences have you been able to discern when comparing the original vinyl to your high quality digital version?

Doing a blind test of this would be difficult without help.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Comparing original vinyl to digitized versions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
The obvious and overwhelming difference is a massive loss of hipster cred.  There is no lossless transfer for coolness.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »
The obvious and overwhelming difference is a massive loss of hipster cred.  There is no lossless transfer for coolness.  ;)

Having worked in the mecca of hipster-dom (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) for several years, reading this made my drink just shoot out of my nose. ;D

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
For those of you who have made an effort to 'rip' your vinyl using a high quality workflow, what sort of differences have you been able to discern when comparing the original vinyl to your high quality digital version?

The mastering of the vinyl is (usually) a lot better than the CD/MP3 mastering. The CD version usually suffers from the loudness war mastering.

I prefer to listen to the vinyl version when I'm at home, but in the car I prefer the CD version since I'm battling road noise.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:30 PM »

Well, you could always transfer at a really low bit-depth and sample rate to make it "lo-fi".  Hipsters will surely be more accommodating once these measures are taken. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
^^ Wrong.  For the hipsters to truly appreciate a "lo-fi" format, it would have to be on cassette tape.  ;)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:34:57 AM »

The mastering of the vinyl is (usually) a lot better than the CD/MP3 mastering. The CD version usually suffers from the loudness war mastering.

Let's agree to disagree (perhaps even strongly) on this issue.
Vinyl's range and mechanical limitations heavily constrain a properly mastered vinyl pressing.
I was taught this at IAR in the mid-seventies, and although newer (slightly) better cartridges allow a bit more resolution, it can never be the flat, broad spectrum which digital provides.

You are 100% right about loudness wars on CD and digitally-compressed materiel.
Worse is the mastering for the digital version that gets applied to the CD release for cost control.

The simple truth is that people like vinyl better because it is easier on the ears.
The analog RIAA EQ curve has an interesting psychoacoustic effect that some people enjoy:

Let's face it, vinyl IS fun, but I'm worried that it may hurt the MP3 industry.
If we stick to one format, it becomes better and less expensive over time.          ;D        8) 
 :scared:
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »
^^ Wrong.  For the hipsters to truly appreciate a "lo-fi" format, it would have to be on cassette tape.  ;)

+T

Hipsters don't buy vinyl - they buy cassettes!!!
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com