Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MixPre-D cable question: AES to S/PDIF into Tascam DR-100 MKII  (Read 12884 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MixPre-D cable question: AES to S/PDIF into Tascam DR-100 MKII
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
So for the MixPre-D to send a SPDIF signal it would need a switch or button sequence to set the output signal to be framed as SPDIF and not AES.

Something needs to tell it which signal to send.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Bruce Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm looking for the answer to the question the OP asked -- how to get the AES3 output of the MixPre-D into the S/PDIF input of the Tascam DR100-MkII. Anyone find a way to do this safely yet?

Offline WalkingStickMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
And apologies again for bringing back this thread, but did some searching and the question still stands- is the MixPre-D compatible with a Tascam dr-100 (in my case, mkiii), using the s/pdif input?

Thanks guys!

Offline WalkingStickMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »
Still searching for this answer myself (albeit w DR100mkiii)...I've purchased two cables now one of which seemed to result in some 'popping' indicative of a bad transfer, and the other (generously and skillfully made by a member here) has thus far produced recordings without digital artifacts.

I think the answer here could be settled somewhat by whether or not the Tascam has the ability to sync its internal clock with an external source which, up until now, I've not been able to figure out.

Anyone here done any more with attempts to connect a MicPre/D digitally to their DR100mkii or mkiii?

Thanks!!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »

Exactly!  And to confound the matter, there seem to be a number of manufacturers out there -- [cough]Mytek[cough] -- who claim that their A/D's output both AES and spdif digital signals, but if you read closely to what their technical and service people will tell you, their A/D's do not supply a spdif signal, they supply an AES signal on an RCA connector.  I have no idea what voltage or impedance specs they are meeting, but the format data conforms to the AES standard, not the spdif standard.

And then, whoa, who would've figured, the A/D's don't work right with spdif recorders like the DR100 mkII, the Sony D50, the PMD-661, etc.  Unfortunately, then those recorders get a reputation for being flakey with accepting digital inputs.  They work fine, as long as they get a true spdif signal.

I only had trouble linking the Mytek to the DR100MKII. I had no issues linking it to the PMD 661, it worked fine with the Marantz.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.147 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com