Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apogee Duet 2 and Church Audio Mics  (Read 2499 times)

Offline aamefford

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Apogee Duet 2 and Church Audio Mics
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post - this seems the appropriate spot.

I have a Church Audio CA-14 card/omni/9200 rig.  The few times I've used it so far, the recording device has been the Sony PCM-M10.  No issues with this setup.

The question involves my shiny new to me Apogee Duet 2 that I bought primarily as a DAC/Headphone amp.  Is there a way to record with the CA-14 => 9200 (if needed) => Duet 2?  Chris answered that I can't record CA-14 => Duet 2, that I need his preamp - which I suspect is to provide PIP to the mics.  What  I don't know is if I can go out of the 9200, into a mini TRS y split into either 1/4" TS or TRS for each channel into the Duet breakout.  The Duet has balanced in via 1/4" TRS per channel.

I appreciate the help - I think every now and then I'd like to record through the  Duet 2 into my macbook air. 

Offline aamefford

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Apogee Duet 2 and Church Audio Mics
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
I thought I'd bump this to see if anyone has any knowledge on using Church Audio mics or mics plus church audio preamp into a Duet 2 - or knows how the CA mics are wired?

Are they a 3 wire with a shielded cable, and the shield wired to the ground for TRS stereo, or are they a 2 wire per mike set up, with the 2 grounds finally soldered together at the 3.5 mm TRS plug?

I appreciate any help.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
I expect it will work just fine going from the CA mics > 9200 > Apogee.  Going unbalanced > balanced is ideally done with transformers, but people do it all the time without them, and I expect you will be OK too.  I don't predict it will sound better than the M10, but I don't predict it will be worse either.

Yes, you need something for plug-in-power, and the 9200 will do that just fine.  You could use a battery box to power the mics and add the gain with the apogee pres, but I'm not sure if that is "better"... it may have a different flavor, which you might see as an improvement, or you might not.  Gear testing is why god invented opening acts. :-)  Try a few songs with the Apogee gain turned down and the 9200 gain cranked, and then try it the other way... 9200 gain turned down to 0, and Apogee gain cranked.

I wouldn't overthink the cabling aspect.  The mics > 9200 are all figured out by Chris, and I'm sure he thought about it carefully.  Find a typical 1/8" mini plug to RCA Y-cable which you probably have, and some RCA-1/4" TS adapters to plug into the Apogee.

If that were my setup, I think I would use the CA mics > 9200 > m10 for AUD and Apogee for hot board feeds.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline aamefford

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »
Thanks SmokinJoe - that more or less confirms what I was thinking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com