Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Storing/Backing up music from CD&CDR's  (Read 1986 times)

Offline eddie20850

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Storing/Backing up music from CD&CDR's
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
It's pretty basic I know, but I am looking for simple/safe way to store music that I'll rip from CDs.  I have had a few problems transferring stuff (lot's) from released CDs (store bought prerecorded albums) to iTunes then to external drives and also duplicating some of those backups.  I'm considering simplifying by getting a Macbook Air and a Mac external CD drive.  I would then 'backup' iTunes to an external HDD.  Or to Cloud storage. I think I understand that backing up/moving iTunes libraries can fragment some of the info i.e. song info etc.  I also have a analog DAT clone collection and want to safely put those on a HDD using a 1st Gen D10(RCA out only lol) or Tascam DA-P1.  What would you do?  I have several hundred hours of bt.etree.org shows downloaded and am comfortable storing/moving those.  Any advantage to keeping to one platform for iTunes as in using Mac computer?  Maybe it's a excuse to buy a Mac though I know some may advise against it.  Thanks for an input.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Storing/Backing up music from CD&CDR's
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
I'm not really sure exactly what you want to do, but I'll give it a go.

At this point I rip CD's to FLAC with EAC. If you're on a Mac I think the best option is XLD. Both require you set up the programs to get the best results. I figured it was worth the extra time to set up EAC perfectly so I don't ever have to go through ripping 400+ CD's again.

For EAC I use this guide: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_Lossless_Backup

Someone else will have to chime in for an XLD setup guide.

I have no idea how to convert DAT's as I skipped over DAT. I'm sure that info is around here somewhere.

As for storage, I keep all of my data duplicated (nightly) to 2 identical hard drives. Also I keep another identical drive off site (currently these live in my safe deposit box at the bank).

Again, I'm on Windows 7 so that's all I know about. I use SyncToy from Microsoft (free) to run my nightly backups. This does require a little configuration, but it's not too hard to do.

I used this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25046/schedule-synctoy-to-run-automatically-with-task-scheduler-in-windows-7/

In addition I have all of my favorite music stored on Google Music in MP3 form (all 320kbps MP3's). This isn't a great backup option because you can only download each file 2 times...but I figure the more places you have your data backed up the better...and obviously it's nice to be able to stream it all to my smartphone and to my work computer.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Storing/Backing up music from CD&CDR's
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
For DAT the easiest option may be to get a used full size deck w/ SPDIF COAX out and a used m-audio micro track (which are pretty cheap now a days - How many tapes?

For cd xfers EAC or XLD are the only way to go IMO
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com