Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for another digital recorder  (Read 13287 times)

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Looking for another digital recorder
« on: October 05, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »
Hi Guys.Its been awhile since I chat with you all.Sorry that I'm alittle rusty on this topic.

I need some advice on picking out  another recorder to backup or replace my will used Edirol R-09HR.

I love the R-09HR and its easy to use.Great battery life.

I need something equivalent to the R-09HR .

I see the Roland  R-05 is available and like to know how good is it and I read about the Sony PCM-M10 is out there too.

Nothing fancy here .I do live shows with external mics plus some analog " records,tapes" media transferring to digital with the recorder.

For now a new recorder will replace the Edirol.The Edirol will replace the Sony minidisc which will get retired.

Thanks for your help  in advance.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: Looking for another digital recorder
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
Sony M10 is a safe choice. Lots of love for it here.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Marshall7

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:36:15 PM »
If anything ever goes wrong with my Edirol R-09HR, then the Sony PCM M-10 is a no-brainer as the replacement.  if you think the Edirol has good battery life, the M10 will blow you away.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »
This question is asked every month or 2...and the answers are exactly the same every time.

M10.

Eventually someone will chime in with another option...but the M10 is the overwhelming favorite around these parts.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:07:32 AM »
Sorry to ask the same boring questions on recorders.LOL.....

Thanks guys for the fast reply.The only problem I have is those small SD/memory sticks  cards that the Sony uses.I was never a fan of them.

Whats wrong with the  R-05 .Why is the Sony better.

Thanks again.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 12:42:50 AM »
Nothing wrong with the R-05.  The M10 just generally gets an overall better score.  You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who can tell the sonic difference of running into either.

M10 has better battery life.  Unbelievable battery life really.  Like 20 hours on a pair of AAs.  Its nuts.  It also just feels a little more solid.  Less 'plastic-y.'

The R-05 is a little smaller than the M10.  Possibly a little more ergonomically designed.  R-05 record button is larger than the rest and right in the middle.  M10 all the buttons are the same size and in rows so you have to memorize which is which by spacial awareness, not feel.  But that's generally personal preference.  Not like its particularly more difficult on the M10.  People will point out the gain wheel on the M10 is exposed and potentially prone to unexpected movement, especially in a pocket when stealthing, but doesn't seem to be an issue for most people.

I've owned both and personally would buy the M10 if I had a choice, but would not at all be unhappy with the R-05 if thats all that was available. 

Offline andy_landy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »
M10 has better battery life.  Unbelievable battery life really.  Like 20 hours on a pair of AAs.  Its nuts.

this.

i've worked my way through a series of recorders over the years, and let's just say that if my m10 ever dies i shall be replacing it with another.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

Thanks guys for the fast reply.The only problem I have is those small SD/memory sticks  cards that the Sony uses.I was never a fan
keep in mind the sony has 4gb built in, you could never deal with the cards in need be
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »

Thanks guys for the fast reply.The only problem I have is those small SD/memory sticks  cards that the Sony uses.I was never a fan
keep in mind the sony has 4gb built in, you could never deal with the cards in need be

And if you really don't like the microSD cards, get a 32GB card, put it in the recorder and leave it. It's a slower than a card reader, but you can do your transfers via USB.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
Sorry to ask the same boring questions on recorders.LOL.....

Thanks guys for the fast reply.The only problem I have is those small SD/memory sticks  cards that the Sony uses.I was never a fan of them.

Whats wrong with the  R-05 .Why is the Sony better.

Thanks again.

I've owned both.  My R-05 failed (one channel of the line in is now bad) after what I deem to be not a tremendous amount of use, and all gentle as far as I can tell. 

The M-10 is more solid (though the cover for the card slot is not great, though neither is the R-05's).  The card slot/system is the only complaint I have with the M-10.  I don't really like the micro SD cards either (and use regular SD cards in all my other devices), so had to get a pair of those. 

It has 4 GB of internal memory, though I prefer to use cards. 

Adjusting the levels is much easier.  The wheel is great (the R-05 has buttons that go 1 increment at a time through its scale and I was never convinced that changing levels while recording didn't leave a slight noise artifact).  That is smooth as silk with the M-10 and much easier to control. 

The level readout is better and easier to operate effectively with. 

The limiter is better. 

The battery life is longer. 

IMO the recorded quality is slightly better (esp. mic in).  I'm not sure most would notice but I think there is a (minor) improvement. 

The Sony internal mics are likely better as well, though that is often not a concern. 

The R-05 is one of the better recorders but not as good yet still at almost the same price point. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:41:37 AM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »
I never once removed the card from my M10 after installing it the first time. It's easy enough to transfer over USB and not have to fumble with the slot.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
The wifi features on the new Tascam decks make them worth watching, but since they are brand new there's no way to yet know how they perform in the field. There are certainly situations where I have a compact rig sitting on stage or otherwise in a place it's inconvenient or obtrusive on the performance to get in and double check everything so a remote interface would be nice.

I just really like knowing that with the M10 I can record a really long time on a set of Ni-Mh rechargeables without worry. Coupled with my Schoeps active rig/tinybox I can run well over 12 hours without intervention if I had to. So while I may not be able to check levels I do have high confidence in the reliability so I can wait a long time if necessary to retrieve gear.

The gain wheel is nice too. you can lock transport functions and still make level adjustments if you need to, but these days I know the performance of my gear enough I can generally leave it on 3 and handle most environments.

The microSDs are a minor issue. No major problems for me other than they are so darn small they can easily get lost.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
Wow .Thanks guys.I do like the features on the Sony.Love hearing about the long battery life.I forgot about the 4gb internal memory.I downloaded the manual on it and study it later today.

OK .How does  the internal mics in the Sony handle loud shows.The R-09HR's mics  suck as I experienced clipping at loud shows as I did not have my external mics on hand.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 08:10:28 PM »
I own both the M10 and R-05 and prefer the R-05, mostly because of the gain wheel. Also, I seem to screw up every time using the M10, but that's all me...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »
I liked the M-10 so much I bought a second one.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com